Is Mobil 1 trying to pull a fast one??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil today, and noticed something funny about the oil filter. I have used the longer Mobil 1 M1-206 filters since it was new, but today the filter looked a little short. So, I pulled it back off and compared it to the one I had just removed.

IMG_20200912_104754621.jpg

New one on the left, old one on the right. Label says it's the same, but clearly it's half an inch shorter. This looks to me like an M1-107, the standard filter, certainly not the same as the long one. I don't have a standard filter to compare against to see if this is just a mis-labelled M1-107. Manufacturing mistake, or is Mobil 1 going cheaper on us? Has anyone else seen this?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Likely mis-labeled but maybe a fast one instead. I use the long WIX filter on mine and always used WIX for gobs of years. #51522XP is the long one.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Changed the oil today, and noticed something funny about the oil filter. I have used the longer Mobil 1 M1-206 filters since it was new, but today the filter looked a little short. So, I pulled it back off and compared it to the one I had just removed.

View attachment 257358

New one on the left, old one on the right. Label says it's the same, but clearly it's half an inch shorter. This looks to me like an M1-107, the standard filter, certainly not the same as the long one. I don't have a standard filter to compare against to see if this is just a mis-labelled M1-107. Manufacturing mistake, or is Mobil 1 going cheaper on us? Has anyone else seen this?

Looks longer than the 107 to me. Weird.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little research, the M1-206 is 4.37" tall and the M1-107 is 3.62" tall (data from OilFilterData.com). That's 0.75" difference. I actually measured these two and it was almost exactly 0.5" difference. Not sure what's going on, doesn't appear to be a 107, but the threads and diameter are correct, and it seems to function as it should. Maybe Mobil 1 decided to shorten the 206 by half an inch. If so, I find that annoying, the reason that I have always used these is that I wanted the extra volume. I know, it's only a couple ounces less, but it's the principle of the thing.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little research, the M1-206 is 4.37" tall and the M1-107 is 3.62" tall (data from OilFilterData.com). That's 0.75" difference. I actually measured these two and it was almost exactly 0.5" difference. Not sure what's going on, doesn't appear to be a 107, but the threads and diameter are correct, and it seems to function as it should. Maybe Mobil 1 decided to shorten the 206 by half an inch. If so, I find that annoying, the reason that I have always used these is that I wanted the extra volume. I know, it's only a couple ounces less, but it's the principle of the thing.
They may have switched to a different filtration media.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum on the topic of oil and filters, I thought maybe someone would know about this.

Well, I guess I'll just see what I get the next time I change oil.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score