Installing "2021 PPV" style 6-Piston Brembo Front Brakes on a 2007 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z

zissou

Reaction score
Hi from my knowledge you’re using the 6 piston wrong rotor for that set up. I did the ppv calipers too but I order oem ppv rotors no one made them 1 year go when I did the swap. But now power stop makes them and raybestos and gm discontinued the #84865905. And the rotor you bought are for gm brembo 6 piston upgrade kit that use 16” rotor not the HEAVY DUTY ppv. The braking surface is different from 2.5” to the ppv rotor being 3” and how I know because I bought Dynamic Friction 604-47079 but to do the ctsvbrakeswap.com zr1 brake conversion and I compared both they are very similar. I’m sure you won’t have problem just that your pad probably over hanging and not making 100% contact.

Good to know, I will inspect it tomorrow to see if the pad is slightly too large for the rotor. I'll report back.

Done about 300 miles and this setup makes the braking effortless on this truck. Love it.

OP
OP
Z

zissou

Reaction score
Hi from my knowledge you’re using the 6 piston wrong rotor for that set up. I did the ppv calipers too but I order oem ppv rotors no one made them 1 year go when I did the swap. But now power stop makes them and raybestos and gm discontinued the #84865905. And the rotor you bought are for gm brembo 6 piston upgrade kit that use 16” rotor not the HEAVY DUTY ppv. The braking surface is different from 2.5” to the ppv rotor being 3” and how I know because I bought Dynamic Friction 604-47079 but to do the ctsvbrakeswap.com zr1 brake conversion and I compared both they are very similar. I’m sure you won’t have problem just that your pad probably over hanging and not making 100% contact.

I don't see the overhang at all. Maybe you used different pads but the pads I used are perfectly flush with the edge of the rotor. They are the right pads for these rotors.

What is the part number of the Power Stop and Raybestos rotors?

Last edited:

Redkeys

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't see the overhang at all. Maybe you used different pads but the pads I used are perfectly flush with the edge of the rotor. They are the right pads for these rotors.

What is the part number of the Power Stop and Raybestos rotors?
RAYBESTOS Part # 582799P
Powerstop Part # AR82209XPR

Auto specialty has them to but I don’t like uncoated rotors I like the coated rotors they last longer with out getting rusted right away
AUTOSPECIALTY AR82209

Attachments

• F913D674-94F2-48B0-94D9-168622C7C14E.jpeg
    F913D674-94F2-48B0-94D9-168622C7C14E.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Z

zissou

Reaction score
RAYBESTOS Part # 582799P
Powerstop Part # AR82209XPR

Auto specialty has them to but I don’t like uncoated rotors I like the coated rotors they last longer with out getting rusted right away
AUTOSPECIALTY AR82209

From your post it sounds like you did the calipers and brackets from the CTSV website. Did you use those or the PPV calipers bolted directly to the knuckle?

Once we get past this deep freeze and snow out here in the Black Hills I'll get some pictures of the rotor/pad fitment on my truck. Everything is pretty well iced over right now.

Last edited:

Mrwick_02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This thread has the all the information I found to be relevant for upgrading to 6 piston Brembo calipers on a 2007-2014 generation model in the most cost effective way possible. There may be small differences here and there, but you'll get the idea. For reference in the pictures my calipers are already painted Silver, but that was DIY, these caliper ship non gloss black.

These are the largest brakes available using OEM parts. The rotors come in at 410mm. This setup is basically the same as the GM Performance Brakes upgrade via PN 85138043, except the calipers aren't painted red, and the design of the caliper is slightly different. It's also 50% of the cost coming in at under $1200.

This setup was used primarily on the 2021 Tahoe PPV, but it appears to be some kind of option on 2021 Escalade 3.0 Diesels based on part fitment data. Differing from the GM Performance setup, these calipers have a larger cross brace on the top

I used all OEM parts, except the pads and rotors as they are available much cheaper in the aftermarket.

I did not change the dust shields but I will when I eventually do a wheel bearing. The stock dust shields worked without modification.

Wheel choice is going to be a big variable. GM says 20 and 22 OE wheels will fit the brakes, from a diameter perspective. It's going to be in the offset and the design of the spokes that things can cause problems. Here they are fitted to a set of '12-14 Escalade 22" wheels which have 31mm offset and they clear with ease. I'll have another test coming with 27mm offset 20" honeycomb wheels.
Would these work on my 03 z71 Tahoe? I know the 2019+ brakes work with some washers/spacers so I'm wondering if these would as well... I'm about to get some 20" honeycombs and am wanting to upgrade the brakes and these seem like an awesome upgrade.

Redkeys

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From your post it sounds like you did the calipers and brackets from the CTSV website. Did you use those or the PPV calipers bolted directly to the knuckle?

Once we get past this deep freeze and snow out here in the Black Hills I'll get some pictures of the rotor/pad fitment on my truck. Everything is pretty well iced over right now.
Yes I did the rear ctsv website rear bracket for c7 rear calipers
Yes the ppv calipers bolt up just need to find the right washer to space the caliper in the middle or close to the middle of the rotor.

Redkeys

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would these work on my 03 z71 Tahoe? I know the 2019+ brakes work with some washers/spacers so I'm wondering if these would as well... I'm about to get some 20" honeycombs and am wanting to upgrade the brakes and these seem like an awesome upgrade.
Yes these work I put them on my 05 esv they bolt up you going to need 20” wheels for sure mine almost rub they have 1/8-1/4 of room between the inner rim and caliper the face of the caliper is fine for my wheels I have a lot of room

Twov8sandat4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 2007 a thin fender washer was needed to center the caliper on the rotor. The washer is about the thickness of a dime with a 9/16" center hole. My hardware store didn't have the right size in the thickness (thinness) that was needed so I got thin 3/8" center hole washers and drilled the hole out with a 9/16" bit. Worked perfect.

The bracket on top of the knuckle needs to be bent ever so slightly.

The stock brake hoses fit perfectly fine using the banjo bolts and crush washers listed.

Here is the parts list:

Calipers:
GM 84793057
GM 84793058

Good morning. Did you get the calipers with brackets? Those part numbers are calipers only, and I can't seem to find any brackets for them. Additionally, did you need adapters to mount to the 07 knuckles or were they direct bolt on?

This is a great project. Thanks for sharing it. My wife's 07 will need the brakes addressed this year, and I always look for upgrades rather than replacements.

Thanks.