If you had a do-over, Would you buy your duramax all over again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadiansteelman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seriously considering purchasing a mid-level Tahoe or Yukon with duramax over a midsize suv. The height in the cargo area with 2nd and 3rd seats down is a huge plus over a midsize unibody suv. I also need good ground clearance, but also want long-term reliability. Currently own a midsize SUV for work which is too small for my needs, not enough ground clearance at times, but a comfortable ride. Comfortable ride is important to me as I have chronic pain. I’m a fan of larger vehicles in general, own/ have owned half tons up to one tons so body on frame not a worry to me. Don’t need to tow, so the duramax would be adequate in 4wd configuration. So my question is: In terms of reliability and driver comfort, would you buy your duramaxx Yukon/ Tahoe again?
Absolutely, had the 6.2L gas in my last Yukon. Have the 3.0 Duramax in my 2023 and just love it! Lots of power and tons of torque. Very quiet and smooth. Any it gets 28 mpg. What’s not to love!

rswaug

Reaction score
I'm probably guilty of over maintaining my vehicles so I'm not too concerned with normal maintenance. More worried about having to do timing related services. Looks like it's jammed in there pretty good so I can only imagine what kind of time it would take to do major engine maintenance or repair. I'm thinking a good service contract would be worth its weight in gold.

Matz

Reaction score
Seriously considering purchasing a mid-level Tahoe or Yukon with duramax over a midsize suv. The height in the cargo area with 2nd and 3rd seats down is a huge plus over a midsize unibody suv. I also need good ground clearance, but also want long-term reliability. Currently own a midsize SUV for work which is too small for my needs, not enough ground clearance at times, but a comfortable ride. Comfortable ride is important to me as I have chronic pain. I’m a fan of larger vehicles in general, own/ have owned half tons up to one tons so body on frame not a worry to me. Don’t need to tow, so the duramax would be adequate in 4wd configuration. So my question is: In terms of reliability and driver comfort, would you buy your duramaxx Yukon/ Tahoe again?
Wednesday will be 1 year on the Tahoe. No issues whatsoever . Granted just at 12k and first time diesel. Quiet and a smooth ride. Fuel mileage is what I really like. 80mph and 30mpg. @ 60 on average around 38mpg.
I drove Silverados for 30 years w/5.3l so the only downside to the 3.0l is the acceleration is so much slower. But the MPG is what I wanted. I made an adjustment to my normal driving habits. I love it.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20,000 miles in 18.5 months, no hint of problems. I cannot say enough good about this engine (or about this terrific vehicle). 30+mpg's easy on road trips and all that 460 lb/ft max torque from 1500rpm on up. My 2021 LT weighs over 6,000 lbs w 4WD and diesel. This diesel moves it quietly, effortlessly and plenty fast. An in-line 6 turbo diesel is a wonderful engine. Too bad it is not available in a big rear-drive Chevy or Cadillac sedan. So glad I bought a diesel. It just fits this nice SUV right. The fact that the diesel upgrade costs only a thousand is amazing.

I have not timed the 0-80 but it gets there in a hurry. Car and Driver tested the diesel Tahoe's acceleration back in 2021 and got a 0-60 time of 7.8 seconds. That's about the same as the small block V-8. But the best characteristic of this powertrain is the punch it has off the line, all that satisfying no-sweat leverage. Instant maximum torque feels more useful to me in real world driving than the horsepower one gets from revving up the V-8. Traffic here is hectic, aggressive and this big vehicle moves with authority. When I mash the accelerator, cars are surprised and move out of the way.

Last edited:

yukon-xl

Reaction score
I am also very happy with the diesel powertrain. I had a 2016 5.3L YukonXL SLT and didn’t have any issues, but wanted to upgrade to the new 2021 redesigned body with independent rear suspension and also wanted to have the new diesel engine. Sold my 2016 and couldn’t find any new GMC diesel at MSRP and came across 2021 Suburban RST Diesel in Colorodo, got it, flew there and drove it back, very nice and comfy ride. I then ordered myself a 2022 YukonXL SLT diesel with all the options that I wanted. (Figured if anything I would just cancel GMC and keep Suburban) Well about 14 months later I got my GMC that turned into 2023, and sold my 16months old Suburban w/10k miles that I really enjoyed and had no issues with, for same price what I paid for it (the new owner is also very happy with my Suburban and told me he took it on a trip recently and “it ran great and towed a trailer with it and it pulled like a champ”.
MY 2023 has few extra options including adaptive cruise, and I very happy with it. Both Chevy and GMC with diesel are excellent SUVs. I got used to Suburban styling and almost was thinking to cancel my GMC order and keep it, ut because my upgrade cost was very minor and went from 2021 to 2023 and gained few extra options I am very happy that I didn’t cancel it.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
End of the month we will have ours for 1 year. 10k miles and only issue it stalled with a check engine light in the middle of the freeway at around 4K miles. Was in the shop for 2 weeks and got a new transmission control module. Hopefully this will be all the major drama with this vehicle because I really love everything about it, but especially the diesel power train!

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably guilty of over maintaining my vehicles so I'm not too concerned with normal maintenance. More worried about having to do timing related services. Looks like it's jammed in there pretty good so I can only imagine what kind of time it would take to do major engine maintenance or repair. I'm thinking a good service contract would be worth its weight in gold.
Are you saying to get a service contract that takes care of the timing belt?
I have a better idea, order a Denali, take the $1500 you save and drop it in a mutual fund. When your truck gets to 200k take out the x thousand dollars and have the timing belt replaced. Or, trade it.

The rest of the normal dmax maintenance is a wash with that of a gaser, spark plugs offset diesel fuel filters (but the fuel filters are a snap todo, dealers just charge an arm and a leg todo them because they can)

jthoske

Reaction score
I’ve had my 23 Denali duramax 4WD for about a month and have put on nearly 3k miles. It drives like a dream and I’ve been super impressed with in town economy. 25mpg on some trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar