If you had a do-over, Would you buy your duramax all over again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Coloradodogdoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Id buy it again. Only change id make is convincing the wife the XL isn't much bigger/harder to drive.

May make the trade up for a refreshed 24 XL tho if it looks good and LZ0 proves to be reliable. Would really like super cruise option on SLT
Yes I am hoping good things for LZO as well. Personally mystified that people feel the regular length is too large. To me it seems to be a pleasant, adequate size. I was getting depressed thinking about a station wagon like highlander or pilot. Bigger is always the correct choice IMO. (I also love that in Tahoe/ Yukon the head rests do not jut forward at an extreme angle as in Honda and Toyota).

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I am hoping good things for LZO as well. Personally mystified that people feel the regular length is too large. To me it seems to be a pleasant, adequate size. I was getting depressed thinking about a station wagon like highlander or pilot. Bigger is always the correct choice IMO. (I also love that in Tahoe/ Yukon the head rests do not jut forward at an extreme angle as in Honda and Toyota).
Only reason I can see someone getting the regular length is if the XL won't fit in their garage. Otherwise, you're already going full-size SUV, get all the space you can - you'll never regret it.

We had a '14 Honda Pilot. While we enjoyed that rig and have fond memories of it, we certainly don't miss the lack of cargo space. Getting ready to go camping this weekend. Last summer in the Pilot we had the roof-top box completely stuffed, cargo at the feet of everyone (except the driver) and couldn't see out the back window. With the Yukon XL all the same stuff is loaded in the rig - no need for the rooftop box and everyone has clear space at their feet.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Only reason I can see someone getting the regular length is if the XL won't fit in their garage. Otherwise, you're already going full-size SUV, get all the space you can - you'll never regret it.

We had a '14 Honda Pilot. While we enjoyed that rig and have fond memories of it, we certainly don't miss the lack of cargo space. Getting ready to go camping this weekend. Last summer in the Pilot we had the roof-top box completely stuffed, cargo at the feet of everyone (except the driver) and couldn't see out the back window. With the Yukon XL all the same stuff is loaded in the rig - no need for the rooftop box and everyone has clear space at their feet.
Could you see out the back window? Here in Eugene, I like to see out my back window to watch for the homeless sneaking up for a handout.

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My dilemma would be we could fit in the garage, but couldn’t open the tailgate. That extra space would be nice for the road trips though…

rswaug

Reaction score
I'm in the process of convincing my wife that we need the Duramax when we upgrade the next time. I'll miss the sound of the 6.2 when the grade braking engages but I certainly won't miss the ever so frequent stops at the gas station. My only real concern is long term required maintenance. Has anybody racked up some substantial mileage on theirs yet?

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Properly cared for diesels will outlive gassers.... semi trucks are just getting broken in at 500k.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm in the process of convincing my wife that we need the Duramax when we upgrade the next time. I'll miss the sound of the 6.2 when the grade braking engages but I certainly won't miss the ever so frequent stops at the gas station. My only real concern is long term required maintenance. Has anybody racked up some substantial mileage on theirs yet?
If is like my V8 Duramax from before, the engine is pricier and the oil changes are more expensive but in the long haul, if you keep long enough and care of it as you should, you will at least break even if not come out ahead in value. But like others and @BrokerThis just said, you gotta keep it long enough. If you get a new vehicle every 4-5 years, the cost for one is higher.

martinajm

Reaction score
I am by no means high mileage yet, but I am on about a 30k / year pace. 36k miles in about 14 months. Not issues, knock on wood, other than software. I do regular oil changes per the schedule, fuel at 2x the recommended rate, and will likely do transmission fluid early (50k) too.

jmzvet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Main reason I bought it was for the Duramax. Only have had it for 3 months 3500 miles but absolutely love everything about the powertrain. I really wished I waited for 2022 to buy my Silverado Trail Boss when the Duramax was made available in the TB.

chrisbusnut

Reaction score
I wish I would have bought a Duramax when I bought my 2022 Tahoe with the 6.2. Now I'm trying to decide between pulling the trigger on a 23 Yukon Denali w/Duramax, or waiting until the 2024s come out with the LZO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts