If you had a do-over, Would you buy your duramax all over again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coloradodogdoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seriously considering purchasing a mid-level Tahoe or Yukon with duramax over a midsize suv. The height in the cargo area with 2nd and 3rd seats down is a huge plus over a midsize unibody suv. I also need good ground clearance, but also want long-term reliability. Currently own a midsize SUV for work which is too small for my needs, not enough ground clearance at times, but a comfortable ride. Comfortable ride is important to me as I have chronic pain. I’m a fan of larger vehicles in general, own/ have owned half tons up to one tons so body on frame not a worry to me. Don’t need to tow, so the duramax would be adequate in 4wd configuration. So my question is: In terms of reliability and driver comfort, would you buy your duramaxx Yukon/ Tahoe again?

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, zero regrets. Just drove 1200 miles on a road trip with a loaded vehicle…only stopped once for gas. Also had zero anxiety about being stranded due to a failed lifter..

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% - as @Stbentoak mentioned, I probably wouldn't own this rig if it wasn't for the Duramax. It's proven itself to be the most reliable powerplant in this platform, it's quiet, plenty of power/torque and the fuel economy will blow your mind. Couple that fuel economy with a 28gal tank in the XL models and the only reason you'll stop on your road trips is for bathroom breaks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

As a former Duramax owner, I can say that the engine and the Allison transmission combination I had, were extremely reliable. The only drawback is the cost of fuel at some places and that some stations do not have diesel fuel capability.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id buy it again. Only change id make is convincing the wife the XL isn't much bigger/harder to drive.

May make the trade up for a refreshed 24 XL tho if it looks good and LZ0 proves to be reliable. Would really like super cruise option on SLT

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two years, 22k miles, no issues. Fuel mileage has only improved with time. Dmax is a no-brainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar