How reliable is the new GMC Yukon Denali CL, especially with the new LZ0 diesel engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben_7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve always loved the look of the new GMC Yukon Denali’s, and not just the look but the practicality, space, luxury, and comfort.

If I decide to purchase one, my build would be a Yukon Denali XL with the diesel (even though I love the V8, I have a variation of it in my Corvette and I want the mileage advantages of the diesel) however what is the difference between the ultimate and the Denali trims and is it worth the price upgrade?

So my main concern is around long term reliability as I’ve read that people have been having issues with it almost immediately after purchasing one.

How long is the extended warranty that GMC offers?

Also, the reason I’m asking is that I’m coming from a 2017 Lexus GX 460 which I absolutely love but when my family gets bigger, I’ll need a bigger vehicle in a couple of years which is why I’m starting to research bigger SUV’s now.

My GX 460 is the pinnacle of reliability with the ability to go 300K-400K miles without major repairs with just regular maintenance. The V8 powertrain from Toyota is solid as is the suspension, 4WD system (it is a Landcruiser in a suit after all lol), and drivetrain.

My other car is a 2017 Corvette Z06 with the seven speed manual transmission which I love as well and the LT4 supercharged V8 is quite reliable as I understand so I do own a GM product and realize that no matter how expensive my Corvette is, some of the interior plastics and quality are not that great which is why I’m wondering about reliability on the GMC Yukon.

Also, the Yukon Denali will be almost $100K and it’s definitely not a cheap vehicle, so I’m wondering how long it will last with regular maintenance.

Does anyone own a 2021+ GMC Yukon Denali, especially with the diesel and with higher mileage and how reliable has it been for you?

Since I’ll be shopping for the new LZ0 diesel, how reliable would that be over the current diesel with its upgrades?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the 2021 Tahoe which uses the same drivetrain. I’ve had zero problems with it other than a lifter failure at 1-year of ownership and 9,000 miles which resulted in the engine having to be tore apart.

I’ve seen other issues with the 21+ Tahoes/Yukons on here which are much worse related to BCM module failures, fuel delivery issues, and still some lifter issues even though mine fell during a date range that was known to have bad lifters. I kinda feel those issues are a small percentage of the overall production, so you could be fine (I don’t want to give you the wrong idea).

If you get the diesel engine version, that would probably be the most reliable as you wouldn’t have to worry about the lifter issue. Chances are I’ll see another failure before I trade mine off as I feel it’s due and they only replaced one side of them and not both sides.

The problem for me is I really like the size and love the vehicle, but that lifter failure left a bad taste in my mouth still and just don’t want to deal with it again. I’ve had 2 other Tahoes and never had that issue which sounds pretty common on them today (also in the pickups as they use the same gas engines which all use the same fuel saving tech that causes more harm than good).

Not sure what I’ll end up doing but it will be 3 years old in April so will figure something out. Maybe I’ll consider the new GMC Acadia (they made it larger than the old model, similar to the 2024 Traverse).

martinajm

Reaction score
You asked about "long term reliability", but this is still only a 3 year old platform. I think that you are going to find more negative feedback in an online forum than reality. People don't share good experiences nearly as much as they do bad ones. My '22 Duramax has been flawless with the exception of a bad windshield washer pump and a few minor software glitches / quirks. I am at 50k miles in 20 months, so not high mileage by any means, but well broken in.

As long as GM keep making these with a diesel, that is what I will buy. However, I could easily see myself putting 200k miles on this vehicle unless my driving habits change.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lz0 hasn't been out in the suvs yet. 2025 is first year for those and looks like late 25 at best for diesel. Lm2 has been solid. Lz0 has been solid in the trucks so far.

EGTroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2023 Yukon Denali LM2 Diesel has been flawless for 20,000 miles. Diesel gets 24-26 mpg at speed on the highway and 20 mpg in city stop and go traffic.

BigJohn76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 22 Yukon XL with the diesel. I have 42000 miles on it with no issues. I also pull A 7500 lb travel trailer and it has plenty of power.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ve got a diesel Escalade on my long term list. It’ll have a min 80-100k on the clocks so I won’t take as big a hit on depreciation. Until then I’m in love w/ the current 09 Esky Plat with the AFM free 6.2L that fiends off $2.50 gal corn gas.

It doesn’t have the legs of the diesel but God Bless $75 fill ups & 400+ AWD hp in a reliable, luxury 3T land yacht in this economy.

The GX is going to be hard to beat. We had to move up to YXL Denali & Esky as the wife & I are both 6’3” and kids are giraffes too. The independent and totally separate 2nd & 3rd row a/c & heating of these trucks, like the GX, is not to be taken for granted. Unfortunately GM stopped offering AWD and doing only 2 or 4WD in jumbo SUV’s.

OP
OP
B

ben_7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a diesel Escalade on my long term list. It’ll have a min 80-100k on the clocks so I won’t take as big a hit on depreciation. Until then I’m in love w/ the current 09 Esky Plat with the AFM free 6.2L that fiends off $2.50 gal corn gas.

It doesn’t have the legs of the diesel but God Bless $75 fill ups & 400+ AWD hp in a reliable, luxury 3T land yacht in this economy.

The GX is going to be hard to beat. We had to move up to YXL Denali & Esky as the wife & I are both 6’3” and kids are giraffes too. The independent and totally separate 2nd & 3rd row a/c & heating of these trucks, like the GX, is not to be taken for granted. Unfortunately GM stopped offering AWD and doing only 2 or 4WD in jumbo SUV’s.
Congrats on your SUV’s, they are beautiful trucks!

I thought the “Auto” mode works like AWD? Currently on my GX 460, I love the full time 4WD system!

OP
OP
B

ben_7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I’m just researching how reliable the Yukon Denali XL diesel platform is prior to stepping up to it in the next couple of years.

Also, how reliable are the air bags and magnetic ride of the ultimate trim?

How reliable are the electronics? I’m assuming everything will still be working well past 100k miles?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your SUV’s, they are beautiful trucks!

I thought the “Auto” mode works like AWD? Currently on my GX 460, I love the full time 4WD system!
Auto 4WD is not the same as a full-time AWD system. Only use it when required and turn it off when it's not needed. Unnecessary usage of it will premature wear out your front differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar