Idiots Are Everywhere!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have a Disaster Magnet on me. Had the Transmission replaced on the '05 Yukon. Got home and went to file the paperwork and noticed it didn't say anything anywhere regarding the Rear Main Seal. Paid what was quoted for it though. So I called the shop and asked him if maybe he just forgot to write it on the RO. Well he went out to the shop and found the new GM Seal still in it's box. Apparently, one tech got hurt and another took over and then being short handed was pulled off it a couple times. I'm debating whether I want the transmission pulled again. Guy says he'll do it, it's his mistake. Even says he'll drive to my house to pick it up. I just don't know. It's not currently leaking. But with my Irish Luck it will start right after the 2 yr warranty runs out! Then I'd have to pay probably $400 or so... What would you do?
(singing "tied to the whippin post")

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times can you R&R a tranny?
In my personal experience, until the bellhousing bolt holes strip. I had a th350 years ago that gave me fits. Finally figured out it had a cracked case causing pressure to bleed from one circuit to another... but i bet i had that thing in and out a dozen times.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have a Disaster Magnet on me. Had the Transmission replaced on the '05 Yukon. Got home and went to file the paperwork and noticed it didn't say anything anywhere regarding the Rear Main Seal. Paid what was quoted for it though. So I called the shop and asked him if maybe he just forgot to write it on the RO. Well he went out to the shop and found the new GM Seal still in it's box. Apparently, one tech got hurt and another took over and then being short handed was pulled off it a couple times. I'm debating whether I want the transmission pulled again. Guy says he'll do it, it's his mistake. Even says he'll drive to my house to pick it up. I just don't know. It's not currently leaking. But with my Irish Luck it will start right after the 2 yr warranty runs out! Then I'd have to pay probably $400 or so... What would you do?
(singing "tied to the whippin post")

You paid a minimum extra amount for the seal and a little extra labor to have it replaced while they were in there. Sure, you could get that money back and just forget about it until it does start to leak. But, by then, you'll be out of warranty and will have to pay full price for the replacement.

According to your sig, this rig is near 200K miles- that seal's time is coming. I'd take them up on their offer to make it right and commend them for their honesty. Pulling the trans again is nothing to be concerned about.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d have them replace it. Almost all the cost of the job is R&Ring the trans and you won’t get that refunded but when you do replace that seal you WILL have to pay that labor which is probably $800 -$1000 or more. There’s no limit as to how many times a trans can be pulled and reinstalled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094