I think the dealership destroyed my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you check the oil stick when you got the car back? I always check the oil after I have it changed no matter who changes it
And check it at every fill up too!

Be a fair question to ask the dealer if there is oil in it. Heck, you can go to the dealer and unlock it; open the hood; and check the oil yourself! Then you will know.

EGTroup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seen mechanics do lots of crazy things. Was watching somebody working on brakes using a strong brake cleaner spray. Lost control and sprayed the entire side of the car. Ruined the paint - what a mess!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon Denali went into the dealership on Thursday for its first oil change and recall repairs. It was done All in the same day.
On the way home my husband was on the freeway and the car completely shut off, a warning popped up on the screen saying the car could not be in drive, and the car just coasted. It would not turn back on. My husband luckily made it safely to the side of the freeway where he called the dealership to ask what the heck did they do the car. It’s a brand new car that worked perfectly until they touched it. They said it wouldn’t be anything that they did. It got towed back to the dealership. Long story short…
They called us the next morning and said the engine seized and it needs a whole new engine.
What does this sound like happened to you guys? Also what would you do?
We are already speaking to GMC about the buyback program
Just to note, I don't LOVE your situation, but your solution. RUN away from it!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, I replied when the site was updating. Sorry for the redundancy. But I'm of the same response.

AirJordan613

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I do that, it's not fair to accuse the OP as the professional dealership should do the right thing.

I was in a similar boat. Had trans fluid changed at dealership. They under filled it by 2 qts (dealership denied it too). Didn’t initially think to verify on my own as I trusted the pros. I typically do fluids on my own but didn’t have time for that occasion. If I ever have fluids changed by a shop again, I’ll be verifying immediately after. But people should be able to trust the pros without having to second guess.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat. Had trans fluid changed at dealership. They under filled it by 2 qts (dealership denied it too). Didn’t initially think to verify on my own as I trusted the pros. I typically do fluids on my own but didn’t have time for that occasion. If I ever have fluids changed by a shop again, I’ll be verifying immediately after. But people should be able to trust the pros without having to second guess.

Trust but verify. A while back I had some free introductory oil changes at a new place, and the first time they overfilled the oil by a quart. Next time I took it in I noted that and made sure that they filled it correctly. Another place pulled my truck in cold and immediately checked the oil, said it was low. I said no, you have to let the oil drain for a little while before checking it. Shops should know but it's all dependent on the tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts