Some thug broke into my vehicle and smashed my drivers side window in my '21 Tahoe. Do I have to take it to a dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night while out to dinner some ***face shattered my drivers side window and got everything they could out of my vehicle. I was wondering, do I need to take it to a dealer or can I just have a place like Safelite repair it?

Also on a side note, the car was locked but the alarm never went off when the window was shattered. Is that normal? I would think that the window shattering would set off the alarm but maybe that's only if the door is opened? Seems dumb to even have an alarm if that's the case because they can just climb right through the window. Anyway, any suggestions on the window would be greatly appreciated.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn sorry to hear that. People suck.

TBH I would contact a reputable local body shop to do the work. They're going to have to remove your interior door panel, all the switches/harness plugs involved with that, there's going to be extensive glass clean up even inside your door. Make sure they do a great job at this or it'll just cause little rattles inside the door over time which would drive me nuts. Plus you never know if the force of them breaking the window damaged your window track/motor at all (usually that's a combined assembly).

The other real crappy thing about broken glass is even if you think you've done a great thorough job of cleaning it all up, you'll still find small pieces of glass 3, 6, 12 months later.

Sorry to hear about your situation, good luck on getting it fixed back to new again.

dc968

Reaction score
I used safelite a few years ago on a Pathfinder after I smartly shot a rock through the window w/a weedwacker. Did a good job and did it quickly.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the 21’s, but I think my neighbors 20 has a different theft detergent option, that included inside motion. Otherwise, if they never unlocked or opened the door, I believe the plain version would remain quiet.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night while out to dinner some ***face shattered my drivers side window and got everything they could out of my vehicle. I was wondering, do I need to take it to a dealer or can I just have a place like Safelite repair it?

Also on a side note, the car was locked but the alarm never went off when the window was shattered. Is that normal? I would think that the window shattering would set off the alarm but maybe that's only if the door is opened? Seems dumb to even have an alarm if that's the case because they can just climb right through the window. Anyway, any suggestions on the window would be greatly appreciated.
the factory alarms are always laking, no matter what
good 3rd party options are not exactly cheap but I like the added security myself. After getting broke into numerous times I had enough

jmzvet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but you can purchase and replace the side glass yourself for cheaper than the insurance deductible assuming it's $500.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory glass is probably a lot better quality, see if Safelite offers it before using them.

See if your vehicle has the motion or shock sensor and tilt sensor installed. Might not have gotten it during the chip shortage.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what your local laws are but I would try and get the windows tinted maybe it will help if the thieves can't see what's in there.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory alarms are always laking, no matter what
good 3rd party options are not exactly cheap but I like the added security myself. After getting broke into numerous times I had enough

Thank you, I will look into those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660