I might regret my purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The appliqués come off fairly easy. Just remove a couple screws and pull straight back to release the clips.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were nowhere near that easy to remove on my 08. I had to squeeze them with needle nose if I remember correctly.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would clay bar then compound/polish the whole car to see where exactly you’re at in terms of damage.

The family vehicle is always tough to sink money into. ROI is never there. Amount of time on the road increases the probability of accidents, door dings at parking lots, etc. Tempting to do the panels in question & blend but if the above post about sitting Oceanside is right than you’d probably better off doing the whole thing and not worrying about the rest of the paint failing later.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about it sitting ocean side. It was registered in Tallahassee according to Carfax. It isn’t rusty.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really keep thinking I want to get rid of it because I don’t want to paint the entire truck but I don’t know how much more money I’ll loose. I’ll definitely loose a lot of time because other than the odd vibration under load the crappy tires hid, I’ve fixed the major mechanical issues (swapped suspension from the Yukon, swapped wheels, rear main seal, oil pan, oil cooler lines, engine mounts, rear shocks, brakes, axle seal, trans filter, brake flush, door latch). Since I’ve already bought the front seat covers, I’d have to find another Platinum and I don’t think I want Mocha Steel any more and my wife doesn’t want silver now since the Yukon is silver so that basically leaves another Black Ice or the Blues. There was a Xenon blue Platinum for sale in West Virginia for $25k but it had the damn brown and tan interior. I just feel like I’ve screwed myself with this thing because I should have passed and upped the budget $5k and probably found something nicer with lower miles that didn’t have so much wrong with it.

At least the fender came out nice with a compound and polish and Pinnacle Souveran wax.

Attachments

• 18E82DE6-5F6B-45E1-9754-32A8102858EE.jpeg
    18E82DE6-5F6B-45E1-9754-32A8102858EE.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 9

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really keep thinking I want to get rid of it because I don’t want to paint the entire truck but I don’t know how much more money I’ll loose. I’ll definitely loose a lot of time because other than the odd vibration under load the crappy tires hid, I’ve fixed the major mechanical issues (swapped suspension from the Yukon, swapped wheels, rear main seal, oil pan, oil cooler lines, engine mounts, rear shocks, brakes, axle seal, trans filter, brake flush, door latch). Since I’ve already bought the front seat covers, I’d have to find another Platinum and I don’t think I want Mocha Steel any more and my wife doesn’t want silver now since the Yukon is silver so that basically leaves another Black Ice or the Blues. There was a Xenon blue Platinum for sale in West Virginia for $25k but it had the damn brown and tan interior. I just feel like I’ve screwed myself with this thing because I should have passed and upped the budget $5k and probably found something nicer with lower miles that didn’t have so much wrong with it.

At least the fender came out nice with a compound and polish and Pinnacle Souveran wax.
You are not losing any money. You bought a platform that is meant to serve your family reliably and safely for many years to come. New, that truck cost $80K or more. You've purchased it for much less than that so any work that needs doing to keep it in tip top shape is what it is. That's how I look at them anyway.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. Spending $10k on a paint job that won’t increase the value a penny isn’t something I plan on. I’m ok with a bumper or two but not the entire truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. Spending $10k on a paint job that won’t increase the value a penny isn’t something I plan on. I’m ok with a bumper or two but not the entire truck.

So do what you are comfortable doing. I could care less about the value of the truck because it is a platform that will serve our family for many years to come and was intended to be a memory machine. A machine to make memories with the family and it has.

My hood was looking like it was going to need repainting, kinda white, but I finally convinced the kids to compound, polish and wax the truck the old-fashioned way and it looks good as new. Same for the roof save for some rust spots due to rocks. I spent $600 for new OE headlights and $500 to paint the new bumper cover ($400). My youngest daughter broke the old one running over a tree to get out of stuck mud, memories, that Dad paid for! LOL

My wife works from home now so her need for a hot rod Denali has subsided some. That too will be a memory machine, like even our utilitarian Pontiac Montanas were. We brought the kids home from the hospital in them, watched movies at the drive-inn theater with them, traveled across country in them, etc. They eventually just plumb wore out and were not economical to fix. It cost less to go out and buy another then to repair it. There, I just ruined my own argument didn't I? LOL Well, I guess then that those platforms were not as important as these platforms! LOL 20 years of Pontiac Montanas is enough. Next 20 or 30 is full-size GM wagons and trucks!

You want the wife and children to be safe, the truck has good bones, paint it as necessary is what I'd do. A good body-man can match old versus new paint exactly these days. Those wraps don't last, especially under a hot southern sun.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t made it to get a quote from the body shop I’d prefer to use so I still don’t have enough information to make a final decision. One of their painters is a co-workers brother and he’s done some little stuff and a bumper for my 08 which looked great. I’m sure they’ll be a little more expensive because they have better equipment and they use Sikkens water based paint but I know he does great work so there’s a better chance I’ll be happy with whatever I do.

I did have an idea today for the tops of the doors and quarters panels that might be the route I go. Paint protection film! I talked to my tint guy and he quoted $350 to do the tops of all four doors and the tops of both quarter panels. The one body shop (which I don’t intend to use) quoted me $200 per door to paint just the tops and blend so that’s at least $1200 so the PPF would be significantly cheaper. The clear bra stops the UV rays so in theory it should stop or at least seriously slow down the deterioration. The spots on the doors are currently very small so I’d be happy to lock in how it looks now after I finish buffing. The PPF he did on my SS still looks great after 5 years and even kept the headlights looking brand new when most of the other ones I’ve seen are already faded.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still haven’t made it to get a quote from the body shop I’d prefer to use so I still don’t have enough information to make a final decision. One of their painters is a co-workers brother and he’s done some little stuff and a bumper for my 08 which looked great. I’m sure they’ll be a little more expensive because they have better equipment and they use Sikkens water based paint but I know he does great work so there’s a better chance I’ll be happy with whatever I do.

I did have an idea today for the tops of the doors and quarters panels that might be the route I go. Paint protection film! I talked to my tint guy and he quoted $350 to do the tops of all four doors and the tops of both quarter panels. The one body shop (which I don’t intend to use) quoted me $200 per door to paint just the tops and blend so that’s at least $1200 so the PPF would be significantly cheaper. The clear bra stops the UV rays so in theory it should stop or at least seriously slow down the deterioration. The spots on the doors are currently very small so I’d be happy to lock in how it looks now after I finish buffing. The PPF he did on my SS still looks great after 5 years and even kept the headlights looking brand new when most of the other ones I’ve seen are already faded.
I’m another vote for the keep it club. It’s rust-free. It’s hard to find rust free trucks. I’ll bet the paint job would be more like $5K, but I think you have a viable alternative course of action with the ppf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas