Short block purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flynn78us

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found a short block for sell. Is it worth 1900 or should I just rebuild mine? Timing is key here because I can’t be down my family hauler. What do you guys think?

5.3 LC9 long block for sale:
Complete GEN 4 5.3, 58x reluctor wheel,

706 heads

BTR .560 lift beehive springs

BTR truck Norris cam 212/22x, .553 lift

Rings gapped for boost .028” gap

New rod bearings

Sleeves honed

All new gaskets and seals

Rebuilt oil pump

Billet oil barbell

Oil relief valve has been plugged on the pan

VVT and DOD delete, 3 bolt cam conversion

Upgraded trunnion rockers

BTR 7.400” .080 wall chromoly pushrods

Yes the oil pan is included, engine is sealed up

Obviously I’d get a black bear tune

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a short block for sell. Is it worth 1900 or should I just rebuild mine? Timing is key here because I can’t be down my family hauler. What do you guys think?

5.3 LC9 long block for sale:
Complete GEN 4 5.3, 58x reluctor wheel,

706 heads

BTR .560 lift beehive springs

BTR truck Norris cam 212/22x, .553 lift

Rings gapped for boost .028” gap

New rod bearings

Sleeves honed

All new gaskets and seals

Rebuilt oil pump

Billet oil barbell

Oil relief valve has been plugged on the pan

VVT and DOD delete, 3 bolt cam conversion

Upgraded trunnion rockers

BTR 7.400” .080 wall chromoly pushrods

Yes the oil pan is included, engine is sealed up

Obviously I’d get a black bear tune
Looks like a fair deal if it's in running shape. With the heads included, it's a long block. My only hesitation would be the idle lope that comes with the truck Norris cam. That would drive me batshit crazy in a daily driver. My other question is why the 706 heads instead of the 799's that came with it. Seems like a step backwards to me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fair deal if it's in running shape. With the heads included, it's a long block. My only hesitation would be the idle lope that comes with the truck Norris cam. That would drive me batshit crazy in a daily driver. My other question is why the 706 heads instead of the 799's that came with it. Seems like a step backwards to me.

I was wondering this as well. If the 706s were modded (2" intake valves and mild porting), they could be better than the 243/799 with their equal or better flow volume but more turbulent swirl and higher compression. That higher compression would compliment the cam.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering this as well. If the 706s were modded (2" intake valves and mild porting), they could be better than the 243/799 with their equal or better flow volume but more turbulent swirl and higher compression. That higher compression would compliment the cam.
Yup. I think that's the key question I would ask the seller. Of course, heads are essentially bolt-on accessories so its a problem he could solve later since he has some time pressures.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I think that's the key question I would ask the seller. Of course, heads are essentially bolt-on accessories so its a problem he could solve later since he has some time pressures.

You would think with all the other mods, it'd have different heads or modded heads. Although, it has rings gapped for boost. Maybe low boost and bumped compression for peppiness when off boost, being a truck engine? OP needs to get some important details.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was confused why you mentioned shortblock...

So basically a refreshed long block with some upgrades for $2000 is pretty good in my opinion.

I can't offer any advice on the cam though...who is the seller? Is it like a hobby "builder" guy? Nothing wrong with that. Maybe they can swap for another one closer to your use? Probably an additional charge if they are willing to do that for you. IDK.

What is you use anyways? That's important to know. List intended use, tire size, gear ratio and I guess this is a 6L?

OP
OP
flynn78us

flynn78us

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So this is his statement when asked about the rings for daily use:
No, I barely opened them up to be safe on 12 lbs, the heads that are on it put it at about 11:1 compression anyway so it’s more desirable for n/a power not boost.

I want it for a daily driver suburban. It’s all stock with 3.08 gears and the number 8 keeps getting misfires and I thought that was due to the 180k plus with afm/dod. I really just want a daily that I won’t have afm/dod on. Figured it would be a quicker start. And most parts are already in there

OP
OP
flynn78us

flynn78us

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also he was building for a turbo avalanche but decided to sell the avalanche and use the cash for his Escalade

OP
OP
flynn78us

flynn78us

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is the listing:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent deal.. But that cam is gonna suck with stock torque converter and
3.08 gearing.. Pretty lumpy cam. Will require a good tuner. And it won't
be in your rpm range 90% of the time on 5.3L
For the money, you could still buy it and swap out the camshaft !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667