220k mile Potential purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello folks. Would like some of you guys opinions on this. Looking at a 2013 Yukon XL SLT. It has 220,900 miles on it. When I tell you the undercarriage is spotless, it is absolutely spotless. Frame and back half by spare tire looks like brand new. No rocker rust, none on the bottoms of the door or even the bottom of the liftgate. There are 2 little bubbles on the passenger quarter pannel well above the common dog leg area and they are small.

The seats are leather and look absolutely awesome and the 3rd row looks like nobody sat in them. My question is with these 5.3 engines should I be concerned? The carfax shows the dealer selling it installed an oil sender which I know is a common issue. Opinions please. Thanks.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. Would like some of you guys opinions on this. Looking at a 2013 Yukon XL SLT. It has 220,900 miles on it. When I tell you the undercarriage is spotless, it is absolutely spotless. Frame and back half by spare tire looks like brand new. No rocker rust, none on the bottoms of the door or even the bottom of the liftgate. There are 2 little bubbles on the passenger quarter pannel well above the common dog leg area and they are small.

The seats are leather and look absolutely awesome and the 3rd row looks like nobody sat in them. My question is with these 5.3 engines should I be concerned? The carfax shows the dealer selling it installed an oil sender which I know is a common issue. Opinions please. Thanks.
Sounds like a nice rig. Any records for any other work having been done? Lots of stuff would be overdue if not.

The 5.3 is solid but you’d be wise to tune out the AFM system. Lots of threads here on that.

I took a similar bet on an ‘07 and it’s worked out great for 5 years now.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Denali GMC 87 Sounds like a good rig. The oil pressure sending unit sounds interesting, I would take it for a nice long and hot test drive to make sure there are no oil pressure concerns that comes up.

Other than that you get what you see with these things. If it runs well and passes a thorough inspection you will be happy with it

OP
OP
D

Denali GMC 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll report back after I drive it. The last owner from June 2017 to December of 23 put on 139k miles. But like I mentioned I'm absolutely baffled and the body, Frame and especially interior...

Alessandrolomb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Based on your description, the vehicle appears to be in exceptional condition for its age and mileage. The lack of rust on the undercarriage, rockers, doors, and liftgate is a good sign, indicating that the vehicle may have been well-maintained or operated in an environment that's less harsh on vehicles. The condition of the leather seats and the third row also suggests careful use.
But please do report after the test drive. It would be interesting to hear what you think about it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll report back after I drive it. The last owner from June 2017 to December of 23 put on 139k miles. But like I mentioned I'm absolutely baffled and the body, Frame and especially interior...
If the body and interior are pristine, and the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate if I were in the market. When I said past due items, there are a handful of things that will need replacing by around 160K - most notably front suspension components, front wheel bearings, and the torque converter in the transmission before it fails and takes the transmission with it. The front suspension isn't a ship stopper, but the transmission will be soon if it hasn't been done already. There is a date code stamped on the pax side of the transmission you can look at for consistency with the sticker on the driver's door for month of manufacture. You can check for socket marks on the bell housing bolts, etc. All of these would be clues that the transmission has either been removed at some point or replaced.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

As long as they took care of the maintenance I’d go for it.
My Tahoe was super clean like that when I got it I paid 5,000$ @247,000 miles I believe and I’m now almost to 400,000 miles and still trucking!!
With proper care and maintenance these things will go a very long time!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as they took care of the maintenance I’d go for it.
My Tahoe was super clean like that when I got it I paid 5,000$ @247,000 miles I believe and I’m now almost to 400,000 miles and still trucking!!
With proper care and maintenance these things will go a very long time!
150K is more than most people get out of brand new lesser vehicles at 10x that price. No better value on the planet than one of these trucks that's been well cared for.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
150K is more than most people get out of brand new lesser vehicles at 10x that price. No better value on the planet than one of these trucks that's been well cared for.
My co worker that has had that “cutting off randomly issue” with his 2015 drove his 99 burban into work today I said to him never to sell that thing because weather he knows it or not that’s the most dependable car he’s got in the driveway!!!
Same with my other co worker I told him get the front end and brakes and shocks fixed on his 99 Silverado over getting a new truck because those 99-02 Silverados were freaking tanks! My uncles hit 400,000 or more without replacing ANYTHING oside from a battery and brake pads lol no tune up or NOTHING just the pads and battery I was like holy shit!!!

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All vehicles where I live are clean underneath/everywhere unless they have been off-roaded or come from somewhere else.

Are you a DIYer and have plenty of $ for parts it will need? and it will be an extra vehicle? and you get it cheap?
Go for it :waytogo:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts