2014 Yukon XL Denali - Pre-Purchase Inspection (AWD System)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayShopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 Yukon XL Denali, just had a pre-purchase inspection done. 130k miles. Fluids need to be exchanged, as I expected would be the case. They also listed spark plug replacement, power steering pump replacement, oil pan gasket replacement....but the worst line item is for:

"Remove & Replace AWD Main Bearings" and this item, including the Engine Crankshaft Seal Kit ($78), is $4500. Is that a legitimate cost for this service? The other items seemed high, but were not nearly as surprising as this one. The inspection noted "Oil Pan leaking. Rear main seal leaking, oil running down flywheel. Recommend replacing rear main seal, oil pan gasket and oil cooler line gasket that mounts to oil pan" but I don't see anything that says "bearings" The inspection also notes the rear shocks, but I don't see those listed in the actual jobs they bid out to me, unless that's what is included in the AWD main bearings?

This shop comes highly rated so I somewhat trust their information but just trying to understand.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil pan gasket, rear main seal and the oil cooler line seal are all good things to change. common problems, but while the pan is off make sure they change the oil pump. o'ring with the correct one. that's a common sense failure and 2 min job with the pan off. nightmare job requiring every to come back apart later for a 2$ part.

the awd stuff, I have no clue. hopefully guys with awd will chime in. I've haven't seen any posts talking about awd main bearing

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 Yukon XL Denali, just had a pre-purchase inspection done. 130k miles. Fluids need to be exchanged, as I expected would be the case. They also listed spark plug replacement, power steering pump replacement, oil pan gasket replacement....but the worst line item is for:

"Remove & Replace AWD Main Bearings" and this item, including the Engine Crankshaft Seal Kit ($78), is $4500. Is that a legitimate cost for this service? The other items seemed high, but were not nearly as surprising as this one. The inspection noted "Oil Pan leaking. Rear main seal leaking, oil running down flywheel. Recommend replacing rear main seal, oil pan gasket and oil cooler line gasket that mounts to oil pan" but I don't see anything that says "bearings" The inspection also notes the rear shocks, but I don't see those listed in the actual jobs they bid out to me, unless that's what is included in the AWD main bearings?

This shop comes highly rated so I somewhat trust their information but just trying to understand.
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

Can you post a picture of the list you received?

That’s a rather long list. Replacing the rear main seal, if it in fact is leaking, requires the transmission to be removed, which also requires the transfer case and front and rear drive shafts. This is a lot of labor for a $40 part, but it is what it is. Replacing the front crankshaft seal requires a lot less work, but still takes some time,

Oil pan gasket and cooler line gaskets are rather easy. If you have them pull the pan to replace the pan gasket, have them replace to o-ring on the pick up tube as well.

Rear shocks are a wear item and at 130K, are due to be replaced if they are original.

Before I bought a vehicle needing $4500 worth of work, I’d get a second opinion unless you can do the euro yourself and save a bunch on labor.

I am not familiar with AWD bearings and I’m on my 3rd AWD Denali of this generation. You might ask them to explain this one a little better. It could be wheel bearings, front differential issues, etc.

Others might be able to shed some more light than I have.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing, good quality work is always a good thing but sometimes that comes with some "upsell" and higher cost, throwing around "awd main bearings" is not a commonly used term, so of course ask questions.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whoever did the pre inspection did a great job for you. Replace AWD bearings sounds terribly great (for you). A 100k AWD major service is about a grand. Typically that’s when you would replace motor mounts, oil pan gasket & previously mentioned $2 oil pump O ring.

If you really want to do well on the purchase of the truck negotiate the rear main seal, lack to 100k major service and oil pan gasket. Hang some doubt on the trans too. The win come if you can negotiate a service contract (S/C) in on the deal.

In ‘14 our 1 owner 08 YXL Denali had 140K miles and a similar history. We bought a S/C a year after owning it for $3.8k. It paid for the price of the $20k truck + a few thousand more.

Verify your S/C will cover the z55 struts and rear air bags, trans, motor mounts, radiator, motor and the AFM plus the steering rack. You will bank on the deal.

It’s a rare find and the S/C will CYA in this economy with labor prices so crazy. Your gonna love that truck.

OP
OP
J

JayShopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate the feedback. We had already purchased the car and had two days to return it. We drove it some more and decided not to return it and will take care of the issues going forward. I'm going to take it to another mechanic I've been to for my other car and see what he says. Below are the red items in the findings, and I'll post again to show the quoted items/prices.

1711294750071.png
1711294761332.png
1711294767939.png
1711294784873.png
1711294800000.png

OP
OP
J

JayShopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here were the quoted items....I still can't tell what the "bearings" part of the quote has anything to do with? Even if the rear main seal is a lot of work for a small part it doesn't sound like it's $4k worth of labor??

The spark plugs weren't actually pulled and looked at, the report said the wire style is known for breaking during removal so they didn't remove them but still did recommend replacing.

Also you can see they noted the brake fluid needing to be exchanged but that didn't make it's way to the quoted jobs (same with the rear shocks)

1711294977253.png
1711294985341.png

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here were the quoted items....I still can't tell what the "bearings" part of the quote has anything to do with? Even if the rear main seal is a lot of work for a small part it doesn't sound like it's $4k worth of labor??

The spark plugs weren't actually pulled and looked at, the report said the wire style is known for breaking during removal so they didn't remove them but still did recommend replacing.

Also you can see they noted the brake fluid needing to be exchanged but that didn't make it's way to the quoted jobs.

View attachment 424510
View attachment 424511
Looks to me the AWD main bearings comment is referring to replacing the front crank shaft seal and the rear main seal. Between pulling the transmission, transfer case for the rear main seal and then the crank pulley and all the stuff necessary to get to the front cranks seal, it will take some time. I’m not familiar with standard time for those items or the shops hourly rate, but $4500? Even at $200/hr, that’s 22.5 hrs which seems a little high.

I would not be surprised if the rear main was leaking, but I’d make sure it’s not something else higher up like the oil pressure sensor or a valve cover gasket.

The rest of your list, minus the oil pan gasket, is pretty much stuff that should be done anytime you buy a used vehicle.

The oil pan does require that the front differential be dropped as well as the steering rack loosened.

As I mentioned earlier, the rear shocks are a wear item.

OP
OP
J

JayShopper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, none of it was all that surprising other than the $4500 labor item. I think their other price seem fairly high as well but at least make some sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork