Headlight Burning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that the LED lights have less resistance than a halogen, I think the

That's true, it's weird. It was flashing normally until the headlights were installed though.
Which leads
Me to believe you have some interesting wiring going on up there..

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which leads
Me to believe you have some interesting wiring going on up there..
Probably tbh. I also just remembered the light right next to the turn signal bulb is also led, and I wonder if that would have anything to do with it?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably tbh. I also just remembered the light right next to the turn signal bulb is also led, and I wonder if that would have anything to do with it?
That would be either the DRL, or the little 194 IIRC, marker light. The marker could affect hyper flash, as on most, if not all GMT800’s, the turns alternate between the marker and turn bulbs. But I’m not positive. And, again, this SHOULD have zero to do with your headlights.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be either the DRL, or the little 194 IIRC, marker light. The marker could affect hyper flash, as on most, if not all GMT800’s, the turns alternate between the marker and turn bulbs. But I’m not positive. And, again, this SHOULD have zero to do with your headlights.
Yeah I'll try putting halogen marker bulbs in. Its not my DRL because I have the fuse for those disconnected because I dont like the way they look.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlight bulb socket connectors on the ends of the harness have been know to get fried due to age and bulbs with wattage ratings higher than designed. Replacement sockets are available and pretty cheap.

Do yours look browned or cooked?

I have a mish-mash on my 04. PO installed LED corner lights. I have regular turn signal bulbs and halogen headlamp bulbs on Hi/Lo beams.

I put LED into the DRL, because the sockets were toasted a little and the bulbs would not last more than a few weeks.

I have no hyper-flash or flickering with this 50/50 combo of LED and regular bulbs in different places. The PO may have added resistors to make the corner lights work. But everything is playing nice with each other.

My turn signals do alternate flashes between the regular turn signal bulbs and the LED amber corner marker lights. I like that feature. It makes for good visibility at all angles when I signal to turn.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is why I always tell people that go to HID to use relays, if you use thicker gauge wire and relays direct to the battery and ground to the frame then there is basically zero load on the factory headlight harness because all it is used for is a trigger signal. I started running HID's way back like 20 years ago, it didn't take long to figure out that it will burn stuff up. The HID stuff out there now can range from complete garbage to high quality. As time has gone on they started making them cheaper and with very low quality parts so much that you would be lucky if they even turn on out of the box. Ballast matter lol

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didnt come with a transformer, it's just light
Interesting... I don't believe that I've ever seen an LED headlight that did not come with a transformer between the LED light itself and the truck's headlight harness (of course, I have not seen them all).

Last edited:

andyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, if you use them in the turn signals.

But you specifically said you were changing the HEADLIGHTS, which have NOTHING to do with how the turn signals flash. Or learn me sumpin new.
I also did the confused puppy dog look. lol Until I looked up the harness. It looks as if multiple items take the power and ground on the same circuit. So it maybe possible ? I attached the harness photo. 2005 tahoe.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also did the confused puppy dog look. lol Until I looked up the harness. It looks as if multiple items take the power and ground on the same circuit. So it maybe possible ? I attached the harness photo. View attachment 393240
pretty sure that pictured harness is for a 07-14

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts