Front Bowtie - GONE!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetstar88

Reaction score
Over the past few days, I removed my Bowtie from the front of the grille. I still have to paint the grille surrounds and the area in bewteen the upper and lower grill, but you get the idea. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

I got the supplies from Urethane Supply Company, which makes epoxies and fillers for plastic bumpers. The grille inserts are Street Scene, but I had to fabicate the upper insert from a Street Scene insert from a Silverado HD. Otherwise, there was a cutout to allow cleareance from the top portion of the bowtie. I'll go into more detail tomorrow if anyone is interested.no_bowtie.jpg

Last edited:

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that looks really good!

any step by steps? i want to paint the bowtie black but i think that looks better

so clean!

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
that actually makes it look much better! :waytogo:

my suggestion would be to find a billet chrome bowtie and place it on the lower left part of the grille. would be very unique yet still have that factory feel

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
This is perfect! When I was considering getting an 07 this is what I wanted to do. I'm happy someone here did it. Looks great!

OP
OP
jetstar88

jetstar88

Reaction score
that actually makes it look much better! :waytogo:

my suggestion would be to find a billet chrome bowtie and place it on the lower left part of the grille. would be very unique yet still have that factory feel

I had thought of doing something similar to a small bowtie in the lower lefthand corner, but if I do, it wont be chrome, as I've taken all of the chrome off. It's an LTZ, which comes with factory chrome door handles and upper mirror caps. I replaced those with non-LTZ versions that are body color (black). Also, all of the badges had been taken off. I may come up with something.

Also, it will look much better after I paint the grill surrounds. This pic also looks goofy as hell from my camera phone...looks like I used a fish-eye lens!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jetstar88

jetstar88

Reaction score
wow that looks really good!

any step by steps? i want to paint the bowtie black but i think that looks better

so clean!

I didn't take any progress pics but here's what I did:

Bought the grill surrounds off of ebay - sent them to a chrome shop and had them de-chromed. They are plastic (ABS or polycarb). When I got them back, I cut out the bowtie section in the upper surround. Using acrylic sheet, I filled in the area where the bowtie once was. I used MEK as the bonding agent, and smoothed it over with body filler (Bondo).

To fill in the recess where the bowtie was (in the horizonatal strip between the grill surrounds) I used 1/8" polypropylene, cut into two shapes that filled the recess. Using plastic bumper adhesive/ filler from Urethane Supply Company, I then bonded the two pieces to the recessed area. Using the same filler, I then smoothed over any gaps, sanded and finished.

The upper grill insert came from Street Scene, and was designed to fit a Silverado HD. The reason I used this, was because the one I had originally purchased for a Burb, had a cutout to clear the "hump" where the bowtie was. The Silverado grill is taller and wider so it gave me more material to work with, and fabricated a new one from it.

That's pretty much it. I still need to paint everything, and will do that soon. Will post pics when I'm done.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't take any progress pics but here's what I did:
That's pretty much it. I still need to paint everything, and will do that soon. Will post pics when I'm done.

For a man with only 16 posts, you sure prove that quality over quantity thing :waytogo:

Thanks for the info!

B O S S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove