Left-Front Suspension Popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, James.

When I got the replacement axel, I assumed the nut from the old one would work since it was the same Genuine GM ACDelco part as the old one (same number). I will replace that nut soon but baffled why the nut would not work well since the axels were supposedly the same. Lesson learned.

I am going to take a better look at the other areas you noted. Maybe take a pry bar to the LCA where it's connected to the frame and see if there is any play. For the R&P bushings, I'll get underneath and have someone turn the wheels back and forth to see if there is any play, not sure how else to check these. On the diff mounts, if those were bad wouldn't I hear a thump every time I accelerated forward or back? My sound only seems to happen when I turn the wheels. Not sure how to check if the diff mount bushings are worn.

It's not that the nuts don't work, it's that they are one time use only. Like Torque To Yield head bolts.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are the original ball joints then it might be a good time to replace the entire upper and lower control arms. I agree, from your evidence it isn't clear which part is causing the sound but I do think its the ball joint.
Thanks. I am wondering the same, too.
Yeah, these are the original ball joints. With 140k on them, I probably will change these out. I have been looking to replace the UCAs anyway for the lift I want to do eventually. However, I really want to source out the sound before throwing a lot of action this way in case it is not the ball joints.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the rack and pinion today. I did not get any popping sound, but I did see something and need opinions.

I turned the wheel from lock to lock and videoed the movement of the rack and pinion shaft.
How much play should there be? Is mine moving too much?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the rack and pinion today. I did not get any popping sound, but I did see something and need opinions.

I turned the wheel from lock to lock and videoed the movement of the rack and pinion shaft.
How much play should there be? Is mine moving too much?

@gmartin1215 That is moving too much, I have the same problem right now so lucky for you I've done a bit of leg work already to find a solution. Here is a link to a post of mine with some good reading material and then I will give you links to the parts I bought and an explanation of my plan:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/lifted-steering-setup.122856/

With that in mine I decided to go with this polyurethane kit which addressed both sides of the steering rack, The larger passenger side bushing and then parts to help stuff the driver side bushings as well. I don't have the desire to push new bushings into my rack so that is why I am going with that kit.

I also purchased a 1 inch coil spacer that I plan on shoving between the steering rack and the frame to further prevent it from moving. The spacer is rather hard but I will trim it down to fit and that should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1X2PBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WJFKH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 That is moving too much, I have the same problem right now so lucky for you I've done a bit of leg work already to find a solution. Here is a link to a post of mine with some good reading material and then I will give you links to the parts I bought and an explanation of my plan:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/lifted-steering-setup.122856/

With that in mine I decided to go with this polyurethane kit which addressed both sides of the steering rack, The larger passenger side bushing and then parts to help stuff the driver side bushings as well. I don't have the desire to push new bushings into my rack so that is why I am going with that kit.

I also purchased a 1 inch coil spacer that I plan on shoving between the steering rack and the frame to further prevent it from moving. The spacer is rather hard but I will trim it down to fit and that should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1X2PBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078WJFKH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, Dustin!
Great information!

I thought I was seeing too much play, so thanks for your confirmation. The steering always felt fine to me while driving and did not feel like it was loose or clunky, so I had not a reason to look at it until I started to investigate the popping sound. Still don't know if it is the root cause of my popping sound, but this is definitely something to add to the list of problems. Looks like I am going to have to do a whole front-end suspension rebuild.

I thought I was going to try to put a lift in this year, but that will have to wait until I get this other stuff done.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dustin!
Great information!

I thought I was seeing too much play, so thanks for your confirmation. The steering always felt fine to me while driving and did not feel like it was loose or clunky, so I had not a reason to look at it until I started to investigate the popping sound. Still don't know if it is the root cause of my popping sound, but this is definitely something to add to the list of problems. Looks like I am going to have to do a whole front-end suspension rebuild.

I thought I was going to try to put a lift in this year, but that will have to wait until I get this other stuff done.
@gmartin1215 Mine is tight but after my lift I noticed that if I hit a bump dead on then I would get a rattle/clunk that I could feel through the steering wheel, but if I hit a bump or dip with the wheel slightly turned like I’m applying a bit of pressure the steering rack when I get almost no clunk so I do think it’s the bushings. Besides that the steering is dead tight and has no play. This is an 08 with 160,000 miles

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 Mine is tight but after my lift I noticed that if I hit a bump dead on then I would get a rattle/clunk that I could feel through the steering wheel, but if I hit a bump or dip with the wheel slightly turned like I’m applying a bit of pressure the steering rack when I get almost no clunk so I do think it’s the bushings. Besides that the steering is dead tight and has no play. This is an 08 with 160,000 miles
Thanks, Dustin.

Marshall 008

Reaction score
OP, just because I found this out by trial and error. Check and see what size thread pitch your CV axle nuts are. OEM appears to be M24x2.0 where I have seen many replacement CV’s come with M24x1.5. Don’t know why the change but it out there.
I installed trakmotive CV’s for the stronger boot and found the axle nut is M24x1.5. I later had to replace the hub and found the new axle nut that came with the Mevotech Titan hub came with it was M24x2.0. I ended up re-using the old axle nut but only until I can find replacement. Who would have thought this was as difficult. Not many people make this size and staked.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. I have the exact same issue on my Tahoe. I installed a Rancho RS9000XL coilover set on my truck in 2019. At the same time I completely replaced all other suspension components. New Moog UCAs, LCAs, ball joints, sway bar end links and bushings, outer tie rods, Caster/Camber plates, and even new Powerstop brakes. Ever since i've had the same "pop" sound on the left front sometimes when i'm backing out of my driveway and turning. Since all those suspension components were brand new, it seems I can eliminate those as problems. I replaced the CV axles about six months later and that didn't help anything. I've had the dealer look at it twice and both times I got the "cannot replicate issue" verdict and a nice little bill so that didn't help either.

I do have a theory on the source of the noise though, in my case. On one occasion I happened to be standing at the front left corner of the truck when my wife was backing it out of the driveway, and it happened to make the noise. I wasn't looking exactly at the right spot when it happened, but i'm pretty sure I saw the backside caster/camber plate "skip" when I heard the noise. I did re-torque the bolt but a few days later heard the pop again. I've exhausted all my ideas on this one so I just live with it - I even mounted a GoPro in the wheel well to watch the plate while driving the truck but the noise never happens when I have the camera running (of course). I got so frustrated with it I figured one solution would be to just buy a dash cam and permanently mount it in there so it runs whenever the truck is running - I mean the noise never happens while it's being watched so if it's always being watched...anyway the truck is going in for new tires and an alignment in a few weeks so I was just going to ask the dealer to put a couple drops of loctite on the caster/camber bolts to see if that does it.

That's all i've got at this time. Hope maybe it can help us figure out a solution.