Front axle recs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Tahoe 4x4, previous owner leveled front and I plan to add a 4" lift in the near future. Passenger side outer CV boot split open, and I minimally need to replace. A GM outer boot costs $50. Truck has 160K miles on it so swapping the entire axle seems reasonable. A GM front axle is $280. Question I have is, are there less expensive options of similar quality that would allow me to swap both sides at this time?
1979 F250 high pinion Dana 44 seems like an economical choice.

Attachments

• 17mf35_zpslyraw0fl.jpg
    17mf35_zpslyraw0fl.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3

BoatsAndHoes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 11 Tahoe 4x4 with a 3.5” rough country lift. As part of the lift it drops the front diff to reduce the angles and comes with a skid plate to cover the diff. I replaced my front axles at the beginning of the summer with a pair from 1AAuto. They seem to be holding up just fine. My advice would be to get the kit they sell which comes with the front wheel hubs as well. Given their failure rate, if you’re going to have them off to replace the axels, may as well do the hubs too.