2014 5.3 Front End Suspension Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I need advice on work that I will do on my Tahoe this weekend. On the front driver and passenger sides I will change:

(2) struts KYBsrm4079, I think they're still good but I have 127,000 miles on my truck

(2) axle shafts Surtrack GM-8228 (only driver's is bad, dealer nor Firestone ever noticed)

Driver upper ball joint assembly Moog CK80669 (bad)
Driver lower ball joint assembly MOOG CK620956 (installed by firestone, bad I think they put too much grease in because the boot was ripped open)

Passenger upper ball joint assembly MOOG CK80670 (installed by firestone bad I think they put too much grease in because the boot was ripped open)
Passenger lower ball joint assembly MOOG CK620956

And if I feel good enough, driver's side front wheel bearing Timken SP500 301 (passengers was installed 2 years ago but I figured why not )

I have Alldata DIY, but I'm not sure what will make it easier for me when I have to reinstall everything. Things like which parts should I reinstall first, or any other advice would help.
I've spent thousands between my local Firestone and the dealer trying to fix my front tire wearing issues and vibration at high speed they would fix one thing with my suspension and leave another so I would keep coming back. Between the forum, youtube and getting off my lazy butt I realized I was getting screwed.
So I'm replacing everything. This looks like a tough job but I plan on taking my time to do it correctly. I bought a tool set, impact driver and a torque wrench. The only thing I ever do to my truck is change the oil, filter and add a qt every 1000 mile cause it burns like crazy. Also installed an Alpine radio and an AEM intake.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need advice on work that I will do on my Tahoe this weekend. On the front driver and passenger sides I will change:

(2) struts KYBsrm4079, I think they're still good but I have 127,000 miles on my truck

(2) axle shafts Surtrack GM-8228 (only driver's is bad, dealer nor Firestone ever noticed)

Driver upper ball joint assembly Moog CK80669 (bad)
Driver lower ball joint assembly MOOG CK620956 (installed by firestone, bad I think they put too much grease in because the boot was ripped open)

Passenger upper ball joint assembly MOOG CK80670 (installed by firestone bad I think they put too much grease in because the boot was ripped open)
Passenger lower ball joint assembly MOOG CK620956

And if I feel good enough, driver's side front wheel bearing Timken SP500 301 (passengers was installed 2 years ago but I figured why not )

I have Alldata DIY, but I'm not sure what will make it easier for me when I have to reinstall everything. Things like which parts should I reinstall first, or any other advice would help.
I've spent thousands between my local Firestone and the dealer trying to fix my front tire wearing issues and vibration at high speed they would fix one thing with my suspension and leave another so I would keep coming back. Between the forum, youtube and getting off my lazy butt I realized I was getting screwed.
So I'm replacing everything. This looks like a tough job but I plan on taking my time to do it correctly. I bought a tool set, impact driver and a torque wrench. The only thing I ever do to my truck is change the oil, filter and add a qt every 1000 mile cause it burns like crazy. Also installed an Alpine radio and an AEM intake.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Hopefully not too late to be helpful here. I did the whole front suspension on my '07 a couple of years ago and used all Moog parts. One word of advice I have is to just buy the complete control arms instead of trying to remove the ball joints. Costs a bit more but you get new bushings that way too, and is a whole lot less hassle. Replace the sway bar links with good ones with poly bushings. Replace your outer tie rod ends while you're at it and check the inners for *any* play. Replace as needed. I replaced my brake rotors and pads while I was in there, and you might also consider replacing the hubs to get new bearings. When you're done with all of this work (took me a weekend), it will drive like a new truck and you'll smile every time you're behind the wheel and notice how good it feels.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not too late to be helpful here. I did the whole front suspension on my '07 a couple of years ago and used all Moog parts. One word of advice I have is to just buy the complete control arms instead of trying to remove the ball joints. Costs a bit more but you get new bushings that way too, and is a whole lot less hassle. Replace the sway bar links with good ones with poly bushings. Replace your outer tie rod ends while you're at it and check the inners for *any* play. Replace as needed. I replaced my brake rotors and pads while I was in there, and you might also consider replacing the hubs to get new bearings. When you're done with all of this work (took me a weekend), it will drive like a new truck and you'll smile every time you're behind the wheel and notice how good it feels.
@Geotrash The part numbers he listed should be for the whole control arm assembly, I agree just replace the whole arm and have your peace of mind. They should be lasting a while.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Geotrash The part numbers he listed should be for the whole control arm assembly, I agree just replace the whole arm and have your peace of mind. They should be lasting a while.
Hi, I decided to check back again was happy to get a couple of responses. I did end up buying and replacing my outer and inner tie rods, too. One of my wheel bearings is new, but I did have another on hand to change (it's still good). Just did't do it cause I was beat after doing all that work. I will change the stabilizer bushings on the same day I remove a broken bolt holding one of the bar clamps. After this, I plan on changing all suspension parts for the rear.
So I guess that would be:
shocks
coils
control arms

Not sure what else but I'll double check before I order.

Thanks,
Brian

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I decided to check back again was happy to get a couple of responses. I did end up buying and replacing my outer and inner tie rods, too. One of my wheel bearings is new, but I did have another on hand to change (it's still good). Just did't do it cause I was beat after doing all that work. I will change the stabilizer bushings on the same day I remove a broken bolt holding one of the bar clamps. After this, I plan on changing all suspension parts for the rear.
shocks
coils
control arms

Thanks,
Brian

Check the bushings for your rear sway bar, check the panhard bar and when was the last time your differential fluids and transfer case fluids were changed?

I've printed the how to from AllData and the torque specs for each component we're wanting to change and tried to put them in a logical order before we begin a similar overhaul.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shocks
coils
control arms

Thanks,
Brian
@Brian1133 My best recommendation would be to go to the Moog website or Rock Auto to get the correct part numbers for the parts you are wanting to replace, just make sure they are getting the Moog premium line with I think starts with CK just like the front arms you used.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the bushings for your rear sway bar, check the panhard bar and when was the last time your differential fluids and transfer case fluids were changed?

I've printed the how to from AllData and the torque specs for each component we're wanting to change and tried to put them in a logical order before we begin a similar overhaul.

I just did my transfer case, front and rear differentials(gasket for the rear, too) last week. When I did the front, I stuck my finger and I felt no oil. Also, not much came out. I checked it yesterday and it was full. I plan on doing my transmission fluid in 2 weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972