8 lug and HD axles on a 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning this will be long I tend to ramble and want this as detailed and accurate as possible. I'm trying to figure out what all parts are needed to swap Heavy-duty axles into my 07 1500 burb and convert to 8 lug but keep the 1500 suspension. 2500s have torsion bars front and leaf springs rear. 1500 have struts front and 5 link coil in rear. The 1500 suspension rides alot softer and has more articulation which is why I chose to buy a 1500. But I do alot of towing and offroading so I want the added strength of 2500 axles. most threads on internet discussing this have responses that are can't be done, waste of money, to difficult, just use conversion wheel spacers, buy a 2500, do a solid axle swap etc. So researching is difficult sifting through all the dead end threads trying to find the few with actual information. Here's what I found so far. other than cutting a tab on the front diff milling out upper control arms for 2500 upper ball joint and shortening drive shafts and modify rear shock mounts rest of this stuff is mostly direct bolt on and not as difficult as people think it will be.

Rear axle Hummer h2 use the same rear suspension as tahoe and 1500 burb and avalanche. so a full float 9.5 ring gear 14 bolt axle from a h2 is almost a direct bolt in swap. According to people that have swapped them the lower control arm bolt is supposedly slightly larger than on burbs and hoes and avalanches. but the control arms and bolt are same part number. Control arm can be drilled out for larger bolt if it is bigger. Rear shocks are also slightly offset of where the burbs, avalanche and hoes are. There is a couple of ways to fix that. Either stretch bolt holes slightly so shock can sit at slight angle or move shock mount in to correct spot either way works. Will Need to shorten drive shaft about 1.5 inches and either use conversion u joint or convert drive shaft to use h2 u joint while shortening it. everything else on that axle is direct swap. Another benefit of the h2 axle is they use same calipers as fronts so there's big 6 piston calipers that are direct bolt on.

Front diff also is easy 2011+ 2500/3500 9.25 diff uses mounts similar to the GMT900 1500 front differential. the mounts are slightly farther apart side to side but there is enough play in the bushings to bolt that diff to the 1500 diff mounts. You will need to cut off a bolt ear near the pinion that hits 1500 frames crossmember mount. Driveshaft also needs to be shortened. Idk how much yet. cv axles for that diff use a 8 bolt flange and are 36 spline. Need to use a pre 2010 2500/3500 33 spline cv axle and change the inboard flange cup off the cv to the 8 bolt one from a 2011+ and use 8 bolt cv spacers from incognito. If staying 6 lug can use stock hub bearings with these modified cv axles. Also stock gmt900 1500 cv axles are same length as 2011+ 2500 cv axles so they should be able to used without spacers if the 8 bolt cups fit on them. I think they cups will fit but can't confirm yet. Hopefully they do so can eliminate cv spacers and have better cv angles.

The h2 axle is 8 lug so I want 8 lug in front. 2500 wheel bearings are 4 bolt 1500 are 3 bolt. One option is you can use late 90s dodge 2500 wheel bearings they are 3 bolt 8 lug and will bolt on our stock 1500 gm knuckles but they have no abs. And no clue what rotors and caliper spacers would be needed So don't want to do that method.

I do have a link to a thread on pirate most is nonsense but one post a guy posting claims to have bolted 2500 knuckles on a 04 gmt800 1500 truck. The lower ball joint bolted on. He used 2500 outer tie rod with 1500 inner tie rod. the upper control arm had to be milled out to use the 2500 upper ball joint and he needed cv spacers because 1500 upper control arms are slightly longer then 2500 about 1/2 inch and his torsion bars are cranked. That also caused alignment to be slightly off close but not able to bring it in exact. There are adjustable upper control arms that can fix that. Or lifted trucks like mine sometimes need uppers to be slightly longer mine are currently almost to short had to use extended alignment cams and pushed almost all the way out to get it aligned with my current suspension setup huge pain in the butt.

What he did on that 04 should be same as swapping ours. 2500 gmt800 and pre 2010 gmt900 front suspensions are the same. 1500s changed to struts and rack and pinion steering when switching to gmt900. so Idk what all got changed between the GMT900 and gmt800 1500s. But I do know that they both use same knuckles. so ball joints should be the same size. Tie rods definetly changed switching to gmt900 because of using rack and pinion. But 08 and up hybrid gas/electric 1500 trucks use same steering rack as ours (or a 3 turn lock to lock rack I want). there inner tie rods will bolt on our steering rack and those inner tie rods have same shaft size and thread pitch as 15+ 2500 outer tie rods so that's the solution to tie rods. And our lower ball joints are the same as a 2500 so no worries there.

Also 2011 switched to 8x180 lug pattern so after switching knuckles have to use the pre 2010 33 spline hub bearings to have same lug pattern as h2 rear axle. And use a modified cv shaft that has the 8 bolt cup and 33 spline.

What I am still trying to to figure out is if anyone on here knows the upper ball joint specifications for the 1500 and 2500 gmt900s? Or has access to a ball joint specification book to get the measurements. all ball joint books online I have found don't go that new. I am trying to see if the part of the upper ball joint that goes in the control arms is bigger on gmt900 1500s so I can figure out if 2500 upper ball joints can be pressed in or if I will have to mill out the upper control arms like on the gmt800. And how big the upper control arm needs to be milled out to if I have to do that.

My burb has MEVOTECH tough terrain control arms the upper ball joint where it goes through the control arm is alot bigger than the stock upper ball joints so also need to figure those specific control arms ball joint size. I emailed MEVOTECH and am waiting for them to respond.

Also can someone with stock 1500 knuckles measure how tall they are. 2500s are 13 inch tall but can't find that measurement for 1500s. my burb has rc lift knuckles so I can't measure it. Also if someone can get wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface width and distance between ball joints from side to side I could use those measurements on 1500 and 2500. Thank you

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warning this will be long I tend to ramble and want this as detailed and accurate as possible. I'm trying to figure out what all parts are needed to swap Heavy-duty axles into my 07 1500 burb and convert to 8 lug but keep the 1500 suspension. 2500s have torsion bars front and leaf springs rear. 1500 have struts front and 5 link coil in rear. The 1500 suspension rides alot softer and has more articulation which is why I chose to buy a 1500. But I do alot of towing and offroading so I want the added strength of 2500 axles. most threads on internet discussing this have responses that are can't be done, waste of money, to difficult, just use conversion wheel spacers, buy a 2500, do a solid axle swap etc. So researching is difficult sifting through all the dead end threads trying to find the few with actual information. Here's what I know so far. other than cutting a tab on the front diff milling out upper control arms for 2500 upper ball joint and shortening drive shafts and modify rear shock mounts rest is mostly direct bolt on and not as difficult as people say.

Rear axle Hummer h2 use the same rear suspension as tahoe and 1500 burb and avalanche. so a full float 9.5 ring gear 14 bolt axle from a h2 is almost a direct bolt in swap. According to people that have swapped them the lower control arm bolt is supposedly slightly larger than on burbs and hoes and avalanches. but the control arms and bolt are same part number. Control arm can be drilled out for larger bolt if it is bigger. Rear shocks are also slightly offset of where the burbs, avalanche and hoes are. There is a couple of ways to fix that. Either stretch bolt holes slightly so shock can sit at slight angle or move shock mount in to correct spot either way works. Will Need to shorten drive shaft about 1.5 inches and either use conversion u joint or convert drive shaft to use h2 u joint while shortening it. everything else on that axle is direct swap. Another benefit of the h2 axle is they use same calipers as fronts so there's big 6 piston calipers that are direct bolt on.

Front diff also is easy 2011+ 2500/3500 9.25 diff uses mounts similar to the GMT900 1500 front differential. the mounts are slightly farther apart side to side but there is enough play in the bushings to bolt that diff to the 1500 diff mounts. You will need to cut off a bolt ear near the pinion that hits 1500 frames crossmember mount. Driveshaft also needs to be shortened. Idk how much yet. cv axles for that diff use a 8 bolt flange and are 36 spline.

If staying 6 lug can use stock hub bearings and a pre 2010 2500/3500 33 spline cv axle and change the inboard flange cup off the cv to the 8 bolt one from a 2011+ and use 1.2 inch 8 bolt cv spacers from cognito.

The h2 axle is 8 lug so I want 8 lug in front. 2500 wheel bearings are 4 bolt 1500 are 3 bolt. One option is you can use late 90s dodge 2500 wheel bearings they are 3 bolt 8 lug and will bolt on our stock 1500 gm knuckles but they have no abs. And no clue what rotors and caliper spacers would be needed So don't want to do that method.

I do have a link to a thread on pirate most is nonsense but one post a guy posting claims to have bolted 2500 knuckles on a 04 gmt800 1500 truck. The lower ball joint bolted on. He used 2500 outer tie rod with 1500 inner tie rod. the upper control arm had to be milled out to use the 2500 upper ball joint and he needed cv spacers because 1500 upper control arms are slightly longer then 2500 about 1/2 inch and his torsion bars are cranked. That also caused alignment to be slightly off close but not able to bring it in exact. There are adjustable upper control arms that can fix that. Or lifted trucks like mine sometimes need uppers to be slightly longer mine are currently almost to short had to use extended alignment cams and pushed almost all the way out to get it aligned with my current suspension setup huge pain in the butt.

What he did on that 04 should be same as swapping ours. 2500 gmt800 and pre 2010 gmt900 front suspensions are the same. 1500s changed to struts and rack and pinion steering when switching to gmt900. so Idk what all got changed between the GMT900 and gmt800 1500s. But I do know that they both use same knuckles. so ball joints should be the same. Tie rods definetly changed switching to gmt900 because of using rack and pinion. But 08 and up hybrid gas/electric 1500 trucks use same steering rack as ours (or a 3 turn lock to lock rack I want). there inner tie rods will bolt on our steering rack and those inner tie rods have same shaft size and thread pitch as 15+ 2500 outer tie rods so that's the solution to tie rods. And our lower ball joints are the same as a 2500 so no worries there.

What I am still trying to to figure out is if anyone on here knows the upper ball joint specifications for the 1500 and 2500 gmt900s? Or has access to a ball joint specification book to get the measurements. all ball joint books online I have found don't go that new. I am trying to see if the part of the upper ball joint that goes in the control arms is bigger on gmt900 1500s so I can figure out if 2500 upper ball joints can be pressed in or if I will have to mill out the upper control arms like on the gmt800. And how big the upper control arm needs to be milled out to if I have to do that.

My burb has MEVOTECH tough terrain control arms the upper ball joint where it goes through the control arm is alot bigger than the stock upper ball joints so also need to figure those specific control arms ball joint size. I emailed MEVOTECH and am waiting for them to respond.

Also can someone with stock 1500 knuckles measure how tall they are. 2500s are 13 inch tall but can't find that measurement for 1500s. my burb has rc lift knuckles so I can't measure it. Also if someone can get wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface width and distance between ball joints from side to side I could use those measurements on 1500 and 2500. Thank you
I don't see this as necessary, especially for towing. Now having said that, the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater Saginaw used in the RWD escalades and Denalis is a direct swap without modifications. That'll bring you from about a 3,500 torque rating to a hair shy of 5,000 foot pounds of torque.

If you are insistent in using the 9.25" for the front, Randy on here has done that and kept the 6 lug hubs. @randeez

This fella has done solid axle swaps on 800s and you may consider those as they can be locked up and are certainly stronger for off-roading.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted with photos so that we may learn from your experiences.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see this as necessary, especially for towing. Now having said that, the 9.5" 14-bolt semi-floater Saginaw used in the RWD escalades and Denalis is a direct swap without modifications. That'll bring you from about a 3,500 torque rating to a hair shy of 5,000 foot pounds of torque.

If you are insistent in using the 9.25" for the front, Randy on here has done that and kept the 6 lug hubs. @randeez

This fella has done solid axle swaps on 800s and you may consider those as they can be locked up and are certainly stronger for off-roading.

Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted with photos so that we may learn from your experiences.
Seen Randeez post about the diff on performance trucks site didn't see anything on this site yet. That's where information about front diff in first post comes from. I asked him couple questions on that site yesterday. Don't know if he still posts over there or not. Solid axle swaps are alot more fabricating than I want to do and I prefer independent suspension. The semi float axles are a good option if staying 6 lug.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen Randeez post about the diff on performance trucks site didn't see anything on this site yet. That's where information about front diff in first post comes from. I asked him couple questions on that site yesterday. Don't know if he still posts over there or not. Solid axle swaps are alot more fabricating than I want to do and I prefer independent suspension. The semi float axles are a good option if staying 6 lug.
Yes, he's a regular contributor over there too, probably working or tinkering on his vehicles. He'll be along soon enough.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, he's a regular contributor over there too, probably working or tinkering on his vehicles. He'll be along soon enough.
Just read his posts on this site about the diff alot of same as other site but little more details on here. Front drive shaft shortened bout an inch but was still tight and the drivers cv Axle had a ripped boot after a run that's side that had larger spacer in said was tight and was going to try smaller spacer or shortening that spacer didn't update what happened there.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just clicked the YouTube link you posted I rewatched his videos on low cog SAS last week definitely one of the best SAS methods done to these suvs. Most other SAS lift to much

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ll be watching this with interest because I would like to go to the 9.25 front so I can get a locker in it.

For the rear I’m not sure if I would go 14 bolt and lose some ground clearance or just build up the 10 bolt.

Sorry I don’t have anything meaningful to contribute because I haven’t been down this road yet.

OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be watching this with interest because I would like to go to the 9.25 front so I can get a locker in it.

For the rear I’m not sure if I would go 14 bolt and lose some ground clearance or just build up the 10 bolt.

Sorry I don’t have anything meaningful to contribute because I haven’t been down this road yet.
Unfortunately no one makes a locker for the 2011+ 9.25 front differential. The older clamshell type diffs have lockers available. But they mount to frame completely differently and would be difficult to swap into a gmt900. The pre 2010 diffs can be easily swapped in a gmt800 just have to cut off the upper mount get a replacement upper mount kit and use that to move the mount slightly. Rest of the mounts bolt in. I'm pretty sure there is a locker available for our stock 8.25 front differential I remember finding one before I will look it up again.

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like you know everything i know at this point :rofl:

the 1500 axles and 2500 axles are just physically a different size i dont think i bothered trying to put the 8bolt inners onto the 1500 axles. thought about trying to find someone to make spacer/adapters from 8bolt to 1500 6 bolt but to be thick enough to be strong enough made the overall length too long. i am also lowered 3ish inches in the front so the diff is probably lower than the hub height at ride height for me.

if you want 8 lug i would probably look into swapping entire arms from a 2500+ truck. i think 2000- 2010 would probably hit the same bushing locations at a gmt900 but no idea what kind of track width youd end up with and then youd be set up for that spindle/hub as well.

the 6bolt escalade rear axle is probably easier to find than a hummer 8bolt one, not sure if theres anything to be gained over 6lug wheels if the axles are equal by going with 8lugs

Last edited:
OP
OP
87carl

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like you know everything i know at this point :rofl:

the 1500 axles and 2500 axles are just physically a different size i dont think i bothered trying to put the 8bolt inners onto the 1500 axles. thought about trying to find someone to make spacer/adapters from 8bolt to 1500 6 bolt but to be thick enough to be strong enough made the overall length too long. i am also lowered 3ish inches in the front so the diff is probably lower than the hub height at ride height for me.

if you want 8 lug i would probably look into swapping entire arms from a 2500+ truck. i think 2000- 2010 would probably hit the same bushing locations at a gmt900 but no idea what kind of track width youd end up with and then youd be set up for that spindle/hub as well.

the 6bolt escalade rear axle is probably easier to find than a hummer 8bolt one, not sure if theres anything to be gained over 6lug wheels if the axles are equal by going with 8lugs
With yours being lowered it would need shorter cv axles than mine would with 5 inch lift?

Hoping I can use 1500 cv's and no spacers to help cv angles. Or I was also considering getting a manual locking hub kit and ordering it for 2011+ 2500 and asking for the pre 2010 lug pattern 8*165 for the hubs. Those come with special cv's and hub assemblies. But that will only work if I can use stock length 23 inch 2011+ 2500 cv's.

How much lower is the cv Axle centerline on the 9.25 diff? My truck has a 1 inch diff drop that I'm assuming will have to be removed to swap diffs.

Is the diff centered in the frame? You had different size cv spacers

2500 control arms won't fit the 1500 frame both upper and lower are wider apart where they mount to frame and 2500 lower control arms are designed for torsion bars.

A Junkyard 15 miles from me has a h2 axle for $350 and there's a few others not far under $500. there is a couple escalade axles nearby but they are $800-1200 so round here h2 axles are cheaper. Plus h2 axles use 2500 front brake calipers that's why I'm leaning more towards doing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157