Dying Carpet and Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub

Check out this part of my build thread.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/fosscores-2006-tahoe-build-thread.65729/page-14

I'll see if I have some more tomorrow on my laptop. You can see the slight color difference between the overhead and the pillars. Not sure if this gives you a good enough look. I kept the carpet lighter as well to not get too far away from the carpet color on the back of the 2nd row seats.

Thanks for the link to the pics! Overall the colors match pretty well and I like that shade of grey. I could go a bit darker. It doesn't help me much for comparison because my interior is black, but damn, your Tahoe is clean!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got a quote from a guy today to re-wrap it. He wanted 800-1000. So I'm still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like he's not very interested in doing the job. Probably a busy shop?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx man. Here are a few more pics for you to consider.

Old carpet and pewter headliner.

IMG_3802.JPG

New headliner. Obviously I could not get a side by side comparison, but darker.

IMG_3942.JPG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I could get away with something considerably darker. Maybe something like a "cloth version" of my paint color (Greystone). But, anything looks better than the cream/pewter original color! Thanks for the pics.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I poured a muriatic acid and water solution in the pot, shook it up, and sprayed it until it ran empty. Then I flushed it with brake parts cleaner, then finally with tap water. I'm not a chemist so I just went at it with whatever strong chemicals I had on hand. I know- this could be bad one day. I used DAP Weldwood Landau top and trim adhesive I picked up from an upholstery supply house. Got the headliner material from there as well. I've heard plenty of success stories with the canned stuff. My assumption is that the failures were probably due to those trying to stretch out a few of those cans to last the entire job and applying it too thin. With the professional stuff in the half-gallon tub that requires a spray gun, it's almost impossible to not use enough.

so much great advice here! the Landau Top adhesive is the only way to go! some spray adhesives can have reactions with the foam over time and cause your headliner to sag prematurely. the best spray one ive ever used was the permetex "headliner adhesive" it adheres great but the working time is non existent and will cause you major problems on any compound curves. the Landau adhesive is much more user friendly and holds up much better as well...... I have done 8 headliners and wasn't told about the Landau top adhesive until the last one. man I wish I had known about that stuff years ago!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=6083&MakeId=47&ModelId=596

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done to make this kit fit. I did one once from this company for a subaru and it took hours to get it to fit correctly. Lots of cutting.

Have you used the kit for our vehicles though or are you going off the Subaru kit for experience? I installed that exact kit in my 02 Denali and it was pretty damn easy. Other than the fact that you need to trim a bit off the outside in a few spots ( which is because they necessarily leave it a little big) and you have to make the cutouts for seats,etc., there isn't anything else you need to do. They use an actual floorpan to shape it with so it fits great. So what do you mean by there's still a lot of work that needs to be done to make it fit?

subieworx

Reaction score
Are there holes for the seats and fasteners? There were none in the subaru kit. The kit for this vehicle would be much easier to produce than the subaru since it is pretty much flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA