New guy went all in on a 2015 PPV and a SSV!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmasterchamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

New guy here. Might be the crazy new guy, but who knows. I went all in on a 2015 Red Tahoe SSV with 79k and a 2015 Police Chief PPV with 91k. Both my cars crapped the bed and the wife and I were in rentals. Needed something safe, easy to work on, 4 wheel drive, and that can get me 300K as I will drive it until its last days. Three kids and broke like everyone else. I just can't afford $2000 in car payments. So I bought the Red SSV for the wife and the Black PPV for me. The Red had all lights installed all functional with center console. All for sale if its legal. Switches and all. I removed the decals and my wife loves this this truck. I removed the back cage and am keeping the rubber floor cause my kids are messy and its easy to clean. Adding a third row and adding the pup console that is in the black PPV.

I also scored the 2015 Black SSV for me. Came with Carpet and the pup console. Fully loaded with interior functional police lights and sirens. All for sale if its legal. It was a former lieutenants truck. So far I'm super happy. Ran into some bad luck on jumping in without using the correct resources. I bought full leather 2016/2017 suburban front, mid, and 3rd row seats and center console setup from a demoed suburban. I assumed the seats would fit, and so far no luck with bench or 3rd row. Nothing matches up and even the base latches can't be swapped. So far mid and 3rd row out. Trying to get the console set up with the front heated seats. I haven't taken the front seats out yet but the center console does line up well. I just need to get heated seats switches set up. Happy to be here and hear your thoughts. Long time Tahoe fan.

I have a lot of questions and am willing to share the journey as I go along. I appreciate any and all help I can get! Happy new Year!

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpg
    IMG_6108.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 72444745045__08C7FB22-A04A-4F33-AE12-1725B086C947.jpg
    72444745045__08C7FB22-A04A-4F33-AE12-1725B086C947.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 16
  • ppv.JPG
    ppv.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 18

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. You are gonna love these vehicles and have fun personalizing them.

You should start a build thread for each truck. Scroll thru the forum on the home page and do it at the section called "Under Construction".

OP
OP
J

jmasterchamp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. You are gonna love these vehicles and have fun personalizing them.

You should start a build thread for each truck. Scroll thru the forum on the home page and do it at the section called "Under Construction".
Thanks for the advice. First timer for a forum or anything like this. Ill create a post for sure.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New guy here. Might be the crazy new guy, but who knows. I went all in on a 2015 Red Tahoe SSV with 79k and a 2015 Police Chief PPV with 91k. Both my cars crapped the bed and the wife and I were in rentals. Needed something safe, easy to work on, 4 wheel drive, and that can get me 300K as I will drive it until its last days. Three kids and broke like everyone else. I just can't afford $2000 in car payments. So I bought the Red SSV for the wife and the Black PPV for me. The Red had all lights installed all functional with center console. All for sale if its legal. Switches and all. I removed the decals and my wife loves this this truck. I removed the back cage and am keeping the rubber floor cause my kids are messy and its easy to clean. Adding a third row and adding the pup console that is in the black PPV.

I also scored the 2015 Black SSV for me. Came with Carpet and the pup console. Fully loaded with interior functional police lights and sirens. All for sale if its legal. It was a former lieutenants truck. So far I'm super happy. Ran into some bad luck on jumping in without using the correct resources. I bought full leather 2016/2017 suburban front, mid, and 3rd row seats and center console setup from a demoed suburban. I assumed the seats would fit, and so far no luck with bench or 3rd row. Nothing matches up and even the base latches can't be swapped. So far mid and 3rd row out. Trying to get the console set up with the front heated seats. I haven't taken the front seats out yet but the center console does line up well. I just need to get heated seats switches set up. Happy to be here and hear your thoughts. Long time Tahoe fan.

I have a lot of questions and am willing to share the journey as I go along. I appreciate any and all help I can get! Happy new Year!
Be sure to check out the PPV subforum.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Very nice finds!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed something safe, easy to work on, 4 wheel drive, and that can get me 300K as I will drive it until its last days ... I appreciate any and all help I can get.
1a.Do NOT wait for the oil life monitor to hit 0% before changing the motor oil.
Even if you do not disable or delete v4 mode, the more often you change your oil and filter, the longer the variable mode lifters will last before they force you to replace them.
I'd suggest changing the oil and filter no later than every 4,000miles.
If the vast majority of your miles are lazy highway miles in clean air, maybe 4,500 miles?
(Along the same line of reasoning, changing the ATF and ATF filter more often than recommended by GM will help the transmission last longer too.
I'd recommend no further than every 35,000 miles, or less.)

1b. If you can find the larger oil filter for your engine, the longer one's extra filtration capacity will make longer intervals between oil changes make more sense.

2. If V4 mode has not been disabled, the best investment for the longevity of your engine AND transmission, is disabling V4 mode.
If you're sure you'll keep them forever, save up and delete V4 mode hardware when your finances are well shored and buttressed.

3. although reprogramming the ecm & tcm is not cheap, the improvements in driveability, durability, and longevity will pay off over time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan