Dying Carpet and Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are not holes cut out for the seats, but as Red Rocket mentioned the kits are pre formed and the fit (I got advice from him and did mine right after he did his) are/is great. I leave my third row out so I did not cut out that row and it looks clean.

There is a little extra to cut, notably around the the rear wheel wells. Just grab a new pair of heavy duty shears to make it thru the carpet and get the mass backing too.

The change is worth it. See pics above of nasty OEM carpet.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there holes for the seats and fasteners? There were none in the subaru kit. The kit for this vehicle would be much easier to produce than the subaru since it is pretty much flat.

So your answer is no, and you are reviewing a carpet kit you haven't installed? Our vehicles have different configurations so some might have cutouts in different places, and besides that, any cuts need to be made after the carpet is in place. Then you trim the edges and make any cutouts necessary. It's not hard at all. Just use a good set of shears; I used metal shears since mine had mass backing. I don't know of any carpet kit that doesn't require cutting.

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headliners aren't hard to do, I've done 10 or so and have had good results. The first one I did about 8 years ago and still looks good despite the heat we get here in Texas. The key as said before is getting all the old foam off the board. I like to use a fine wire cup brush chucked in a drill. It's a lot easier than doing it by hand, but you have to be careful about how much pressure you apply and you can't stay in one spot too long. It's kind of like buffing a car.

I've never used glue through a pot or gun, but I know most shops do. I used 3m's Super Trim Adhesive. It's a rattle can product and it's about $20 a can. Spray both the material and the board, let it tack up for a few minutes, and stick them together. It's easier to fold the fabric in half and do one side, then the other. Too much glue will soak through and lead to bleed through or dimples, and too little will fail over time.

I did my Suburban a few months ago. Just to be different I used a leopard print fabric. People either love it or hate it, whenever I drive with the windows down I always get comments, lol.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Headliners aren't hard to do, I've done 10 or so and have had good results. The first one I did about 8 years ago and still looks good despite the heat we get here in Texas. The key as said before is getting all the old foam off the board. I like to use a fine wire cup brush chucked in a drill. It's a lot easier than doing it by hand, but you have to be careful about how much pressure you apply and you can't stay in one spot too long. It's kind of like buffing a car.

I've never used glue through a pot or gun, but I know most shops do. I used 3m's Super Trim Adhesive. It's a rattle can product and it's about $20 a can. Spray both the material and the board, let it tack up for a few minutes, and stick them together. It's easier to fold the fabric in half and do one side, then the other. Too much glue will soak through and lead to bleed through or dimples, and too little will fail over time.

I did my Suburban a few months ago. Just to be different I used a leopard print fabric. People either love it or hate it, whenever I drive with the windows down I always get comments, lol.
:hmmm2::pics-stfu: I wanna see!!!

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Actually matches factory color pretty damn good. Doesn't look out of place as much as I expected lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA