Dual Electric Fan Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01AzYukonXl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon XL 1500 (5.3) that I bought a couple of years ago. The former owner had previously installed a dual electric fan, which now needs to be replaced as only one of the fans is operational and it is a single (duel fan) unit. I have crawled over and under trying to find any form of manufacturer information (label, stamp, etc) and online searches return no options for my model year (yet there is one clearly installed on my vehicle). From visual comparison, it appears the current unit is possibly a Dorman or Summit Racing, but without a known stamp or model identified, this is a mere guess so have reached out to both for recommendations or technical assistance. While waiting for their response, I thought I would roll the dice on the forums, as I'm sure I cant be the only operator of this body style / engine running a dual electric fan, so thought I would pose the question. This is my fourth vehicle of this 1st Generation body style so I am assuming the former owner used a unit for a newer model year (maybe a 2002 or 2003) being I am not finding anything for a 2001, but again.. I'm sure I am not the only one running duel fans on a 1st generation model. I would appreciate any information or recommendation from fellow owners / forum members.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a 2005 OE fan, with your classic 5- and 7-blade fans. I've put rectangles around where most of the molded-in numbers will be (don't miss the numbers on the motors). There is another large 7-digit number on it but I don't recall where it is. Might be on the other side or one of the edges.

As you view the pic, "up" is up, and you're looking at the side that mates to the radiator.

Fan2.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may want to test each fan. Normal operation is for 1 fan to run and the 2nd to run when needed. @Tonyrodz will turning the AC on automatically kick both fans on?
where did you get that information?
normal operation is LOW speed or HIGH speed, not left/right
either way OP you can replace them with any fan shroud from 04-14 they are all the same fitment and same electrical harness plug. watts will vary, blade count will vary
if the existing shroud is oem by chance you can take it apart and the part number is stamped on the side of the motor, depending on the age of the motor and environmental conditions you may have to look pretty hard for it, rust may hide it completely. A new replacement oem motor runs about $60-80

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory fans wired to a FACTORY harness (like the ones I've sold to several members on here) are normally wired as follows: One fan run at high speed when the AC is on. The second fan comes on high. when the temp threshold is reached and the temp wire is triggered. So when the engine is at operating temp AND the AC is on, both fans will be running at high speed. If the AC is OFF and the engine reaches operating temperature, both fans come on at low speed. But it could be set up completely different if it's custom wired, or if it has an after harness or fan controller. Some aftermarket fan controllers don't connect to the ECM or the AC compressor trigger wire, they just have a temp probe that gets mounted to the radiator or a coolant hose or something.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a 2005 OE fan, with your classic 5- and 7-blade fans. I've put rectangles around where most of the molded-in numbers will be (don't miss the numbers on the motors). There is another large 7-digit number on it but I don't recall where it is. Might be on the other side or one of the edges.

As you view the pic, "up" is up, and you're looking at the side that mates to the radiator.

View attachment 380393

@Sam Harris look familiar? Although I did clean them up after the pic... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14