Dual Electric Fan Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory fans wired to a FACTORY harness (like the ones I've sold to several members on here) are normally wired as follows: One fan run at high speed when the AC is on. The second fan comes on high. when the temp threshold is reached and the temp wire is triggered. So when the engine is at operating temp AND the AC is on, both fans will be running at high speed. If the AC is OFF and the engine reaches operating temperature, both fans come on at low speed. But it could be set up completely different if it's custom wired, or if it has an after harness or fan controller. Some aftermarket fan controllers don't connect to the ECM or the AC compressor trigger wire, they just have a temp probe that gets mounted to the radiator or a coolant hose or something.
maybe it's different on the nbs but on the nnbs there is only 1 relay for high and 1 relay for low, no left/right

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You know I replace things on my rig just for giggles. I have looked high and low for a new in stock complete electric fan assembly for my Z71 and cannot find anything except Dorman or other aftermarket crap. I can get motors and blades all day long but the whole assembly? I cannot find one. If it was available anywhere, I would buy it. @915_Tahoe, can you help a guy out? 89023365 is the OE number, right?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I replace things on my rig just for giggles. I have looked high and low for a new in stock complete electric fan assembly for my Z71 and cannot find anything except Dorman or other aftermarket crap. I can get motors and blades all day long but the whole assembly? I cannot find one. If it was available anywhere, I would buy it. @915_Tahoe, can you help a guy out? 89023365 is the OE number, right?
the price for a whole new shroud, motors and fans as a set is crazy high, you only need to replace the motor/s unless the plastic is cracked

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
the price for a whole new shroud, motors and fans as a set is crazy high, you only need to replace the motor/s unless the plastic is cracked
I know and agree @Doubeleive, but you know me, I like shiny new things on my rig. It has a new radiator and whatever bolts to it must be shiny too. Plus, it is easier to swap out that way and I have a friend with a 2005 Tahoe that buys all my old reusable parts.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know and agree @Doubeleive, but you know me, I like shiny new things on my rig. It has a new radiator and whatever bolts to it must be shiny too. Plus, it is easier to swap out that way and I have a friend with a 2005 Tahoe that buys all my old reusable parts.
you can find all the parts new individually

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
you can find all the parts new individually
I did look again and found Genuine GM motors and both blades but no shroud. RA says is out of stock and will notify me and Genuine GM Parts and GM Parts Direct both show discontinued. Did you find the shroud somewhere else?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are activated differently on 00-02 trucks vs 03-06. Can't comment on the operation for certain but I seem to recall on 03-06 both are on for low and then high.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are activated differently on 00-02 trucks vs 03-06. Can't comment on the operation for certain but I seem to recall on 03-06 both are on for low and then high.
00-03 do not come with fans unless someone retro fits them on from a 04+, and some 04's may not have fans either the last 04 suburban we had did not have electric fans

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt