DIY: Make 2015-2017 LS/LT headlights operate like a LTZ headlight (LED as DRL vice low beams)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moguy0416

Reaction score
So now that things are verified, I'm ready to offer the newest DRL harness. It will give LTZ headlight behavior to 2015-2017 LS & LT Tahoes and Suburbans with the exception of the LED strips' ability to change brightness levels.

To inquire, please email me at [email protected]. This will help me keep things organized. Payment for the harness will reserve your place in the order queue. For those of you who previously got the DRL pigtails, I am offering a $25 discount (via core refund). Once the pigtails are received back and verified to be in acceptable condition, credit will be issued.

7f2487c3ae3486fc6f9864a4633fff28.jpg
Email sent

fdnyfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
does anyone here know the part numbers for the male and female 8 pin plugs. I'm looking to make a 4' straight extension cable

Greg Kulbick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and did this, despite my aversion to anything electrical. First time repinning a connector and everything still worked afterwards. Fairly easy once I ignored the gently part of the instructions and figured out pulling out the wire while holding open the detent. Would have been easier with a third hand.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went out and did this, despite my aversion to anything electrical. First time repinning a connector and everything still worked afterwards. Fairly easy once I ignored the gently part of the instructions and figured out pulling out the wire while holding open the detent. Would have been easier with a third hand.
Photos or it didn’t work.

Bstief

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Tylus very well done. I actually just built pigtail harnesses that swap these circuits so the factory forward lamp harness doesn't have to be modified. That way it's plug and play and reversible.

I updated the pic with the finished harnesses (taped & wire loom like the factory harness)
View attachment 327166

Couple questions:

1. You mentioned the Y91 forward lamp harness is larger to allow for more voltage draw. However, the wire gauge sizes are similar across the suv platforms at the headlamp connectors. The only exceptions are for those with RPO 6J7 (for PPV highbeam flasher) and the Escalade DRL circuit. Both are 18AWG instead of 20AWG in those instances. What am I missing? In 2018, when GM began using the LED strip for DRLs on all Tahoes, the main harness change I see is the wire at position 6 on the headlamp connectors only being 18AWG and only describing it as the DRL Control circuit.

View attachment 327167

2. I also saw where you said the wiring diagram showed the LTZ LED strip being physically different. Can you expand on which diagram and where it shows that? I'm not seeing it.

Getting the LED strip to have the same brightness as the LTZ version is what I've been working on. What I haven't determined yet is whether the LED strip hardware is different on the LTZ or if it's the circuitry/programming on the components inside the headlamp assembly. The parts catalog I can see doesn't show anything about the LED (only HID/non-HID assembly). Like @Kpwweb mentioned, I wonder if it's a PWM control issue where bypassing it with a relay would work. Although, if that's the case, I would think Gen5DIY's $230 LED DRL harness with its relays would address it. They make a point to state the LED brightness won't change. Maybe that's all their harness does, swap the circuits and use the DRL control to activate relays to provide a constant +12v. They even give the same disclaimer on park lamp/headlamp functionality change that you noted. What are your thoughts?

The only other way I'm currently aware of to do this is with three relays. That allows the LED strip to function as DRLs and keep factory functionality with the other headlamp functions. That's the way @73Vetteman did it.

I'm happy to build the pigtail harnesses with or without the relays for those interested. I'll even do the install with the relays if you'll come to me so I can verify the LED brightness. I'm in Mobile, AL.
Where can I get the pigtail harness that is just plug and play? I’m in South MS about 30 min from Mobile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt