Cracked Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ok gotcha, sounds like what was quoted to me in the past as what GM customer care provided for out of warranty compensation. $50 toward peeling chrome on interior door handles and replacement of a serp belt that a tech sprayed silicone on instead of advising to replace it.

BTW, replace those accessory belts. If you lose one the motor overheats and if you have to shut down when moving…. Oh $hit! A YXL w/ 6 occupants, no power brakes or steering when rolling down an off ramp at 45 up to traffic stopped at a light, that’ll wet your seat in a hurry.

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2010 Tahoe LST with badly cracked dash. I replaced both the dash and front panel myself, and I have moderate skills in these things. There is a great video on YouTube that can get you through it. Just take your time and it will look so much better than the overlay.

If you don't mind me asking: How much did the new dash cost you? Do you still have the link for the Youtube video in question?

Reaction score
Oh. Yeah I tried most of them including the hot stapler that melts staples in from the backside. Waste of time, I spent probably 8 hours total and $125 on that one buying the hot stapler, removing the dash, melting the staples in ( I could still see the cracks) and reinstalling the dash. It cracked in a different place a few days later. That video of the guy doing that looked so incredible, so doable. IMO if it’s already started cracking it’s only going to get worse because the plastic is brittle. The new dashes are reinforced in those areas, and I also added 1/8” steel rods epoxied in those areas too on the new one I installed.
I might be in a situation where I have no choice but to buy a new dash even though I already have a dash skin cap. My dash is so badly damaged due to both the cracking and multiple instrument cluster swaps (long story) that the mounting points for the Cluster Bezel (two mounting posts + clips for the two screws that go through the bezel) are basically destroyed. If I cap it as-is the cluster bezel will just be mounted loose though I may be able to glue it to the cap as well (not sure).

Who sells the "new reinforced dashes" and how much do they cost on average? I found an OEM New Ebony Black dash panel on ebay from a seller up around Dallas that wants $880 (shipping included).

Then I found that gmpartsdirect has them for $400 (shipping not included). Are these what you'd consider the updated, reinforced version?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not check with your local dealer and see what their parts department will sell it for? The main part cannot be shipped UPS or FedEx ground due to the size.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be in a situation where I have no choice but to buy a new dash even though I already have a dash skin cap. My dash is so badly damaged due to both the cracking and multiple instrument cluster swaps (long story) that the mounting points for the Cluster Bezel (two mounting posts + clips for the two screws that go through the bezel) are basically destroyed. If I cap it as-is the cluster bezel will just be mounted loose though I may be able to glue it to the cap as well (not sure).

Who sells the "new reinforced dashes" and how much do they cost on average? I found an OEM New Ebony Black dash panel on ebay from a seller up around Dallas that wants $880 (shipping included).

Then I found that gmpartsdirect has them for $400 (shipping not included). Are these what you'd consider the updated, reinforced version?

Yes, the new parts from GM are the updated design. I just took the part number and did a Google search to find the cheapest price shipping figured in. It ended up being a GM dealer on EBay. The dealer sites are a PIA because you need to add it to your cart and enter your address before you get a shipping cost. Most of those same dealers advertise on Ebay where they're forced to show shipping charges. The box the dash comes in is huge- like 6' long, 2' wide and 4' tall. It's not the weight that costs a lot to ship, it's the size.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not check with your local dealer and see what their parts department will sell it for? The main part cannot be shipped UPS or FedEx ground due to the size.
My local dealer was $200 more expensive than the one I had shipped. And yes UPS can handle it, that's how mine came. I'm sure FedEx can take it too.

Reaction score
Yes, the new parts from GM are the updated design. I just took the part number and did a Google search to find the cheapest price shipping figured in. It ended up being a GM dealer on EBay. The dealer sites are a PIA because you need to add it to your cart and enter your address before you get a shipping cost. Most of those same dealers advertise on Ebay where they're forced to show shipping charges. The box the dash comes in is huge- like 6' long, 2' wide and 4' tall. It's not the weight that costs a lot to ship, it's the size.
Thanks!! I'm prob just going to order the new dash then. This ebay seller has a used one out of an 07-8 Avalanche for $475 (flat rate shipping included) but GMPARTSDIRECT wants $248 shipping so I'm looking at $650 for a brand new dash.

VERY glad to hear they updated the design. I remember when I looked at this years ago (before my dash was in such bad shape - back then it just had a couple of sizeable cracks - should have capped it then) I got a lot of feedback from other owners not to bother because the new dash would just crack again eventually. I think one poster said he did install a brand new dash and it cracked again only 3 days later.

Fun facts: JD Powers gave Chevy a Quality Award in 2007 and the Chevy Silverado was Truck of the Year for 2007.

Reaction score
Yep, I'll ask tomorrow. Taking it in for the air bag recall anyway. Might as well get it done now while my dash is a shambles.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!! I'm prob just going to order the new dash then. This ebay seller has a used one out of an 07-8 Avalanche for $475 (flat rate shipping included) but GMPARTSDIRECT wants $248 shipping so I'm looking at $650 for a brand new dash.

VERY glad to hear they updated the design. I remember when I looked at this years ago (before my dash was in such bad shape - back then it just had a couple of sizeable cracks - should have capped it then) I got a lot of feedback from other owners not to bother because the new dash would just crack again eventually. I think one poster said he did install a brand new dash and it cracked again only 3 days later.

Fun facts: JD Powers gave Chevy a Quality Award in 2007 and the Chevy Silverado was Truck of the Year for 2007.
No way would I buy a used one unless it was dirt cheap. It might crack right after you install it. If you’re going that route, check your local yards.

Reaction score
No way would I buy a used one unless it was dirt cheap. It might crack right after you install it. If you’re going that route, check your local yards.
Good point. Old design, might crack. Yeah definitely just going to get a new one. I shopped it around as you recommended. Cheapest so far with shipping is $539. Weird, its a dealer in Florida. A Dallas GM dealer has one and their a lot closer to me but they wanted $575 with shipping. Might be worth the $35 for a shorter overall shipping route. Less opportunity for it to get damaged in transit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925