Cracked Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An act of God. J/K, I have been watching some YouTube fixes and there are some pretty good alternatives
Oh. Yeah I tried most of them including the hot stapler that melts staples in from the backside. Waste of time, I spent probably 8 hours total and $125 on that one buying the hot stapler, removing the dash, melting the staples in ( I could still see the cracks) and reinstalling the dash. It cracked in a different place a few days later. That video of the guy doing that looked so incredible, so doable. IMO if it’s already started cracking it’s only going to get worse because the plastic is brittle. The new dashes are reinforced in those areas, and I also added 1/8” steel rods epoxied in those areas too on the new one I installed.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started out with the crack you described on the passenger side by the air bag, that was 3 years ago. I decided to live with it and here we are today , it has grown a bit. I am still not inclined to do anything about it. I know one thing, I am not going to take it in for the air bag recall. Hell no. I am hoping a good alternative comes along pretty soon, because I love my **.

What do you think the airbag recall is going to do that isn't already there? The airbag pops out and then the work is done on the bench.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Yeah I tried most of them including the hot stapler that melts staples in from the backside. Waste of time, I spent probably 8 hours total and $125 on that one buying the hot stapler, removing the dash, melting the staples in ( I could still see the cracks) and reinstalling the dash. It cracked in a different place a few days later. That video of the guy doing that looked so incredible, so doable. IMO if it’s already started cracking it’s only going to get worse because the plastic is brittle. The new dashes are reinforced in those areas, and I also added 1/8” steel rods epoxied in those areas too on the new one I installed.
Yeah, I would not try the hot stapler myself either. I like your plan and I guess after taking the dash out once already , it was a pretty 1-2-3 job. At this point I am not sure that replacing the dash myself is within my pay grade, but I will continue to look into it. Do you have any helpful hints or pic's? Did you consult any YouTube help? Thanks again for your help and suggestions on my other projects.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think the airbag recall is going to do that isn't already there? The airbag pops out and then the work is done on the bench.
From all that I have seen and read is the airbag replacement can create a crack ( when they 'pop' out the airbag) where one was not and can exasperate a current problem (crack) to make it much worse. Plus I am still pissed at GM for not stepping up to this HUGE cracked dash problem that is clearly a 'workmanship' issue. Then asking customers to sign a waver when they replace a defective airbag under a recall saying that they are not responsible for any Collateral damage to your dash. The whole thing stinks.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I am really concerned about the dealer replacing the airbag on our 09 Esky Platinum. It has the standard black Esky dash but covered in leather. I can only imagine the tech strong arming the procedure and cracking the dash that's never seen daylight. From there everything would go to kaka and they'd be laughing.

Not in a real big hurry to have them fubar a 12 year old dash that's pristine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will very likely be willing to run the policy calculator and GM will probably participate.

The Escalade dash doesn't even break around the air bag... Just the defroster panel sometimes break on the Escalade which is the same part as a Tahoe or Yukon.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What’s a GM policy calculator for vehicles visiting for service? A parachute to cover damages while being serviced?

My local dealer has spotty service writers and techs. I’m miffed that one SW went above and beyond but later tried to set up a completed service delivery where I’d have to take the vehicle without any Ppwk or dealer personnel around.

That was fishy until the lot damage at the rear bumper was discovered. They tried to send me off w/o Ppwk, avoid documenting the damage and stating nothing needed to have it repaired except their word. The dealer made good but the SW became an irritating prima-donna. My last encounter with that clown involved him walking up a staircase the wrong direction.

When he made eye contact and proceeded toward me the wrong way, guess which customer put their head down and allowed him to walk up and into them at full stride that spun him round and down a step or two.

Sad thing is the other SW’s saw the shove. The one SW by the door who never looked up or said squat to me smiled and thanked me by first and last name that day. I just checked to see if he’s still employed there. Yup. Dealer Rater verifies he’s protected by Mgmt which explains the spotty service.

0E9A91E0-6DE8-4CEB-BB7D-B1202A369772.jpeg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, don't you just love days like that. You lay out some major flash for your ride and do everything you can to keep it nice and some jack ass thinks they can get away with something like that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will very likely be willing to run the policy calculator and GM will probably participate.

The Escalade dash doesn't even break around the air bag... Just the defroster panel sometimes break on the Escalade which is the same part as a Tahoe or Yukon.

What's a policy calculator? I'm not familiar with that term.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a GM policy calculator for vehicles visiting for service? A parachute to cover damages while being serviced?

If dealers really made as many mistakes as forums act like they do, they'd have no customers at all. Do you really think GM would spend their profits for dealer mistakes? Any damaged caused by or at a dealer is the responsibility of the dealer and/or their insurance, not GM. Mistakes happen at independents and chains, too.

The policy calculator is what the dealer can use to submit for GM assistance on a repair. It takes into account all kinds of metrics and then gives a percentage of the repair that GM will pay for and then the customer pays the rest.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99

Latest posts