Conventional synthetic blend or full synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switch to a lower vis in cold weather for better start up pressure

Jim Clifford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've full synthetic since mile number 1. Have 260k miles and not so much as a ticking lifter. Coincidence? Perhaps, but my buddies that would rather save $15 or so on every oil change have all bought new motors.

merlin1128

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W30 since I first changed the break in oil in my 05 Tahoe every oil change and just turned 100K on it. Hope I am not jinxing myself here, but with that I have zero oil burn and change it at around 3K miles. I found out from a few mechanics that use it in their old cars which they just keep going and going Full Synthetic is the way to go if you are keeping a vehicle for a long time and no plans on getting rid of it go Full Synthetic, but if you are only keeping it for so long and going to trade it in go conventional. I was told that conventional oil breaks down where Synthetic does not and has much better lubricating properties getting in places conventional oil cannot. I know auto parts stores it is not cheap, but if you have a Costco around you they have it the cheapest by far in the 6 pack and have a $10.00 off it from time to time and grab a couple cases when they do. Huge savings for sure...