Conventional synthetic blend or full synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 2006 5.3 L Yukon XL only burned less then 1/4 inch down on the dip stick in 3000 miles . Now first time I changed oil what kinda oil should I use . Local Walmart don't have conventional in the 5 quart jugs anymore only synthetic blend and full synthetic 5-30
Witch ones best ? I use the bigger wix oil filter.
But heard story don't use synthetic blend only full synthetic if you're switching over. Any advice is welcome . Confused me a bit because it's not a oil burner witch is awesome. 177,000 miles on it . Just put new oil pressure sensor in that was leaking a bit oil also..

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 2006 5.3 L Yukon XL only burned less then 1/4 inch down on the dip stick in 3000 miles . Now first time I changed oil what kinda oil should I use . Local Walmart don't have conventional in the 5 quart jugs anymore only synthetic blend and full synthetic 5-30
But heard story don't use synthetic blend only full synthetic if you're switching over. Any advice is welcome . Confused me a bit because it's not a oil burner witch is awesome. 177,000 miles on it . Just put new oil pressure sensor in that was leaking a bit oil also..

I’ve got 169k on my 04 Escalade and have always used a synthetic blend in 5w30 along with a NAPA Gold filter which is a Wix and use hardly any oil I’ve got a tiny rear main leak which is the cause for that which I’ll tackle shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If memory serves, these motors were originally spec'd to run a blend. You can continue that or run full synthetic which is what they call for now. Dexos1 Gen 2 standard now versus the old GM6094M.

Some folks here use the Walmart Super-Tech oil, others like Mobil 1, other like the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck which has higher viscosity numbers than the other two.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, these motors were originally spec'd to run a blend. You can continue that or run full synthetic which is what they call for now. Dexos1 Gen 2 standard now versus the old GM6094M.

Some folks here use the Walmart Super-Tech oil, others like Mobil 1, other like the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck which has higher viscosity numbers than the other two.

And the GM6094M is an obsolete spec so many oils won’t even list it on that bottle anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Full synthetic FTW. It doesn't degrade or burn like conventional so it does it's job for far longer than conventional.

Synthetic is actually cheaper than conventional because you can safely run it longer. It also protects better, so you're prolonging the life of your engine, which again, saves you money.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aside from the cost, there’s no downside to going full synthetic

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I've never understood a synthetic blend

The whole point of a synthetic is to insure a consistent molecular weight at the atomic level - without some of the errors that traditional distillation introduces in conventional oils, which allows for some different viscosity and wear characteristics. And that's ignoring the properties of different base stocks (hydrocracked, polyalphaolefin, ester). Why would you add something with an inconsistent MW to a mixture of a consistent MW, that would then have a (slightly) different molecular interaction with things like metals, engine debris, moisture, fuel contamination, and seals?

It just strikes me as an odd combo. Seems to be a cost closer to synthetic with material properties closer to conventional. When I worked at Sears, the valvoline rep told me their semi-syn base stocks were 40% syn, 60% conventional. Take that with a grain of salt as I've been able to neither validate nor deny that word of mouth statement.

Anecdotally, for what it's worth, my rig has had synthetic since day 1 from the previous owner, and I've continued the trend over. I've had gaskets off for other maintenance so I'll try to summarize how it's treated me

- 10/16, 116k. R&R intake manifold gaskets. Valley pan gasket, knock sensor grommets found to be in good shape. Gasket material still pliable, noted no leaks from knock sensor. Slight darkening of material in the engine that would not wipe off with brake cleaner. No deposits or discoloration noted on camshaft.

- 3/19, 139k. R&R oil pump. Pickup tube o ring, oil pan gasket, front cover gasket, in good condition - material still pliable. Front crank seal stiff, but not leaking. Noted slight brown discoloration on exterior surfaces of oil pan, minor discoloration in recesses of rockers when viewed through oil fill cap. Suspicion of short trip moisture accumulation. Shortened OCI, problem has since resolved.

- Today - 146k, rear main, rear cover, valve cover gaskets are original and have not been removed. Can't comment on gasket condition but there are no leaks or wet spots.

Edit: Never done a series of UOAs to compare wear between different oil so I can't comment on that. I'll grab one probably in 10k or so just as a check up, however.

Last edited:

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobile 1 10-30 in the summer and 5-30 in the winter. Some might disagree with this but I have found it to work very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons