Chicago / Illinois emission test w / Range device

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range device keeps the emission monitors from setting so for emission testing you’ll want to unplug it a week before you get tested. Careful with that though, in my experience the AFM system doesn’t work well being disabled and then re-enabled
That would be my luck. I’m due in like June.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my AFM/DOD turned off with a Diablosport Intune device that flashes the ECM and doesn't need to be kept plugged in. I pass Missouri emissions with no problems every 2 years. No need to unplug anything a week beforehand.

Another thought on this is get a OBD splitter cable and keep the Range dongle plugged in tucked up under the dash while leaving a OBD port available under the dash. Like this one from BTDieselworks

View attachment 398048
Which year truck is your Diablo in tune working with? I still have mine from my 11 sierra. I unmarried it before I sold the truck. But never really dabbled with my 2015 because I figured gas mileage was already rough with the 6.2 I didn’t see a need to make it worse.

Reaction score
Which year truck is your Diablo in tune working with? I still have mine from my 11 sierra. I unmarried it before I sold the truck. But never really dabbled with my 2015 because I figured gas mileage was already rough with the 6.2 I didn’t see a need to make it worse.
I bought it when I had my 2011, then moved it to my 2012. I also bought a second license and use it on the 2002 Mustang.

I used to use an older Predator on the mustang, but when I bought the Intune I decided to just use the one device for both vehicles and sold the Predator. The Intune can have multiple licenses

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself, already disabled AFM through tune, only concern is smog (despite having all emissions equipment!).
Am able to reflash back to stock, but am planning full delete.
So I'm hoping it can pass smog with AFM solenoid codes, should I need to reflash stock tune.. ?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself, already disabled AFM through tune, only concern is smog (despite having all emissions equipment!).
Am able to reflash back to stock, but am planning full delete.
So I'm hoping it can pass smog with AFM solenoid codes, should I need to reflash stock tune?
How did you disable V4 mode 'through tune'?
Thoroughly disabling V4 mode in a tune, includes permanently disabling & redacting the V4 mode trouble codes.
Once those codes can never occur again, the emissions test cannot hold them against you.

Once all that's been done, it should pass smog, even if it uses slightly more fuel than it would with V4 mode enabled.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disabled through HPtuners, disabled solenoid trouble codes. Only worried about checksums.
I've been reading where any change from factory tune gets flagged..

(BTW not in Chicago, but cal-e-forni-uhh... and from other things I read, it's all coming to a state near you! sorry for the detour belair62!)

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikez71 I’m in California and the last shop I went to said they only check for emissions stuff. I even showed him the non AFM valley cover and he said that’s fine just make sure the emission monitors are set and no check engine light. Tuning AFM out doesn’t affect the emission monitors

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikez71 I’m in California and the last shop I went to said they only check for emissions stuff. I even showed him the non AFM valley cover and he said that’s fine just make sure the emission monitors are set and no check engine light. Tuning AFM out doesn’t affect the emission monitors
PHEW! You made my day! THANK YOU!

Don't know what I've been reading online. Scare tactics I guess.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disabled through HPtuners, disabled solenoid trouble codes. Only worried about checksums.
I've been reading where any change from factory tune gets flagged..

(BTW not in Chicago, but cal-e-forni-uhh... and from other things I read, it's all coming to a state near you! sorry for the detour belair62!)

I'm pretty sure you're worrying about nothing. but no you can not flash back to enable and unplug it will run like crap, throw codes and fail the test. same if you have a delete kit installed and enabled it in your tune over your check sum worry

if you fail the test because they can tell you've disabled it in the ecm.. doing a delete kit ain't going to help you. at that point you'd need to replace the afm lifters, enable it and run good oil and change it often.

there's trucks that go over 200k with afm working fine, and most get 150k without doing anything special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan