Building the SS(V) TrailHoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. One benefit of being a firefighter in Baneberry is that we have a nice compressor for filling scba and scuba tanks. I can pick up a decommissioned scba tank and fill it there. Just need the proper regulator. Bonus is they're designed to be lightweight.

Where are you staying? You're close to my home.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How do you like the wireless CarPlay? I installed a 1300 NEX in my Tahoe awhile back specifically for CarPlay but it's wired only. Everything I read at the time said that wireless CarPlay had a really annoying delayed response, which I've noticed when just playing my phone over Bluetooth instead of CarPlay. Have they improved the wireless responsiveness at all?
Wireless CarPlay itself is OK, but yes there is a discernible lag compared to when it’s plugged in.

This head unit though, is a POS I would never recommend. I did a thread about it in the audio section. It’s glitchy and just has a bad interface.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wireless CarPlay itself is OK, but yes there is a discernible lag compared to when it’s plugged in.

This head unit though, is a POS I would never recommend. I did a thread about it in the audio section. It’s glitchy and just has a bad interface.
Mine has been driving me crazy recently. Not sure if I just have a bad lightning cable, but whenever the phone comes unplugged the CarPlay shuts off and it goes back to the head units normal interface screen. It's been doing that every time the phone gets bumped or slightly moved, which is super annoying.

I do also have a problem where occasionally the head unit will just randomly completely shut off and then just sort of turns back on when it eventually wants to. That doesn't happen too often though, but has been happening fairly regularly the entire time I've had it installed.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Ah. One benefit of being a firefighter in Baneberry is that we have a nice compressor for filling scba and scuba tanks. I can pick up a decommissioned scba tank and fill it there. Just need the proper regulator. Bonus is they're designed to be lightweight.

Where are you staying? You're close to my home.
Yeah, you’ve got access to the right gear there. I’ll most likely just buy a filled CO2 tank from a welding supply and then I can exchange it anywhere. Rather do that than buy one of those pretty painted ones they sell for off-road enthusiasts. Then you need a vendor to refill it on the spot.

We’re near Asheville for now.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to suggest Hurricane Creek as a fun trail. It has one end on I40 a couple miles into Tennessee. I considered doing it with my stock Tahoe until I got stuck in my back yard. :oops:

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Yesterday spent some time trail riding on what was essentially a trail for ATV and UTV drivers. It was the first time I’ve had an opportunity to test the Hoe on a trail where a stock 4x4 would not be happy. I came away feeling good about the decisions on lift and tire size. I have often wondered if I went too far.

Yesterday illuminated the value of lots of clearance. Deep ruts, roots, rocks, the 35’s make it so much easier. The approach, departure and break over clearance let it stroll right over whoops and ledges that would force a lower vehicle to take an oblique angle.

I do still feel that the front diff is a weakness, and I drive it carefully in the rough.

As the summer progresses, I’ll get some better pictures of it in action.

Attachments

• 1B8AE58D-4FB5-481E-AC0E-F5E5E248AC72.jpeg
    1B8AE58D-4FB5-481E-AC0E-F5E5E248AC72.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 71C991D7-42F9-499C-9FD4-6AFD63FED1FD.jpeg
    71C991D7-42F9-499C-9FD4-6AFD63FED1FD.jpeg
    730.4 KB · Views: 19
  • AE223BE0-9BC4-4DE6-8A69-A3F52208C991.jpeg
    AE223BE0-9BC4-4DE6-8A69-A3F52208C991.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads