Building the SS(V) TrailHoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Got the new head unit in, finally. Had some delay waiting for the installation accessories. The only thing I should have done differently is choose a network adapter that supports the speed sensitive volume. I may revisit that someday.

This is a Pioneer DMH-4660NEX. Other installation parts below.

My main reason for choosing this model was the support for wireless CarPlay.

The dash trim is out in the photo because I’m still waiting on a USB socket to replace one of the cigarette lighter sockets.
5FC3135B-9790-4349-A90B-2A38B37F5EF2.jpeg

Supporting components:
Metra 95-3305 Double DIN Installation Multi Kit
Metra 40-CR10 antenna adapter
PAC LCGM29 Radio Replacement Interface (as mentioned above this item does not support speed sensitive volume)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Nothing picture worthy today, just a coolant change. No problems, and the existing stuff looked OK, but I want to be sure I know fresh fluids are everywhere.

I am guessing at some point the hoses were all replaced and I would expect the coolant also. All of the hose clamps are the screw type and GM doesn’t build them that way.

Later this year I’ll get the OEM spring clamps and change them all back.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Stuck a spare tire back in place under the rear. Used one of the factory wheels and a fresh 265 for a spare.

I don’t think I mentioned it in this thread previously that I purchased replacement tire tools and a jack from eBay. Naturally none came with the vehicle.

Sometimes it’s irritating fixing/ replacing items resulting from negligence / incompetence or just plain theft.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Today I installed the ProComp front skidplate. It's a separate item, not included with the lift kit. Fit and finish is great. All stainless. I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, because although it's not cheap, it's made with thin material, and worse, weakened in the center because they laser cut their logo through it. I guess the marketing department won that debate with engineering.

Of course they covered themselves with this legal garbage: "This item is designed as a decorative accessory item. It is not intended to provide additional vehicle safety or protection."
This precaution of course, is supplied in the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, not the ADVERTISING.

My own assessment- it's adequate for keeping brush and debris out of the front of the engine and the underside. Which is all I really need it for. Rock crawling protection it is NOT. Later on when time permits I'll pull it off and reinforce the backside with some heavier material.

E6DB23D9-3F0C-4316-9E6D-89D03C15E8B9.jpeg

D11BF9E1-9C02-430C-8569-7E5D9A9415AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I installed the ProComp front skidplate. It's a separate item, not included with the lift kit. Fit and finish is great. All stainless. I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, because although it's not cheap, it's made with thin material, and worse, weakened in the center because they laser cut their logo through it. I guess the marketing department won that debate with engineering.

Of course they covered themselves with this legal garbage: "This item is designed as a decorative accessory item. It is not intended to provide additional vehicle safety or protection."
This precaution of course, is supplied in the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, not the ADVERTISING.

My own assessment- it's adequate for keeping brush and debris out of the front of the engine and the underside. Which is all I really need it for. Rock crawling protection it is NOT. Later on when time permits I'll pull it off and reinforce the backside with some heavier material.

View attachment 277709

View attachment 277710
In all the searching I've done for skid plates I've found two. The factory z-71 plate for ~$450, or that one. I didn't like the logo at all, then if your REALLY DIG hard, you find the fine print about it being matched with their lift kit.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Yeah, @Sparksalot you’d need different skids depending on the lift situation because the big lifts with drop cross members change the lower front mounting points.

It would be relatively simple fabrication to build these from scratch for anyone with metal working tools. I simply don’t have the time now, so I got these. And I’m not building a rock hopper anyway. I don’t even enjoy trails that rough when the machine is built for it. Too slow for my taste.

If I wasn’t lifted I’d go prowling the junkyards for the Z-71 part or just buy some steel plate and start cutting and bending.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, @Sparksalot you’d need different skids depending on the lift situation because the big lifts with drop cross members change the lower front mounting points.

It would be relatively simple fabrication to build these from scratch for anyone with metal working tools. I simply don’t have the time now, so I got these. And I’m not building a rock hopper anyway. I don’t even enjoy trails that rough when the machine is built for it. Too slow for my taste.

If I wasn’t lifted I’d go prowling the junkyards for the Z-71 part or just buy some steel plate and start cutting and bending.
Finding any of the nnbs hoes in a junkyard seems like a unicorn search. Most of them are being parted out on eBay. But even there, I’ve only seen new pieces up for sale.

I’m not after rock protection per se, but unwanted pokey stuff coming through the plastic splash guard. I did fab a very light sheet steel piece that fit behind the plastic. I have a heavier piece of aluminum I recently acquired to replace it sometime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
We are on the road for a while, so construction is paused while we get some use out of the project.

Today spent some quality time in the Pisgah nation forest. It’s the first time I’ve really had time to test the suspension on dirt. All good. Really smooth ride with the BFG’s at 20 psi.

Attachments

• 58006B8C-8903-4365-BD16-E724019D4A74.jpeg
    58006B8C-8903-4365-BD16-E724019D4A74.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 22

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new head unit in, finally. Had some delay waiting for the installation accessories. The only thing I should have done differently is choose a network adapter that supports the speed sensitive volume. I may revisit that someday.

This is a Pioneer DMH-4660NEX. Other installation parts below.

My main reason for choosing this model was the support for wireless CarPlay.

The dash trim is out in the photo because I’m still waiting on a USB socket to replace one of the cigarette lighter sockets.
View attachment 275017

Supporting components:
Metra 95-3305 Double DIN Installation Multi Kit
Metra 40-CR10 antenna adapter
PAC LCGM29 Radio Replacement Interface (as mentioned above this item does not support speed sensitive volume)

How do you like the wireless CarPlay? I installed a 1300 NEX in my Tahoe awhile back specifically for CarPlay but it's wired only. Everything I read at the time said that wireless CarPlay had a really annoying delayed response, which I've noticed when just playing my phone over Bluetooth instead of CarPlay. Have they improved the wireless responsiveness at all?

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Airing back up at the end of the ride.
One of these days I’m going to treat myself to a CO2 tank and save some time. Of course then I’ll just spend the time hunting CO2 refills.

2EBC457F-01C1-4D8E-A972-8B1FA372D4B1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz