Maintenance items for the win and the joys of rust free work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done with the RMS.......and it was fine. The housing gasket was leaking like a stuck pig......oil everywhere, crankshaft was dry. Put in a new billet oil bar bell as well since I was there.

The process was straightforward......Basically remove EVERYTHING from the engine back and Viola! The exhaust nuts all needed the torch to get off even though there was no rust anywhere. Now they are all anti-seazed to no end, but hopefully won't have to worry about them again.

New trans filter and gasket (NAPA BTW has a great kit with new OEM style gasket for about $60). New fluid in trans and TC. Cleaned the rust from the output shaft to TC - amazing how much there was just from 183k of gear chatter. Lubed and reassembled.

Drove about 20 miles and parked it on its diaper in the garage. Checked with light and free of drips and dry!!!! Now I can park on concrete again like a normal person.

Between this repair, new fluids, new sensors, new brakes, and new bushings, it's wonderful. All in for parts was about $1500. Good investment in my book seeing as I haven't put more than $500 ($1100 with tires) into it in 3 years and 42k miles. It's been paid for since day one.

Gottal love being able to keep good stuff on the road. Should be good for another 100k hopefully.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove about 20 miles and parked it on its diaper in the garage. Checked with light and free of drips and dry!!!! Now I can park on concrete again like a normal person.
I brought a piece of cardboard to my dad's when I went to help because I didn't want to leave a massive spot. Now that the cover and main is done, I also can attest how nice it is to park like a normal person.

Good job.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got done with the RMS.......and it was fine. The housing gasket was leaking like a stuck pig......oil everywhere, crankshaft was dry. Put in a new billet oil bar bell as well since I was there.

The process was straightforward......Basically remove EVERYTHING from the engine back and Viola! The exhaust nuts all needed the torch to get off even though there was no rust anywhere. Now they are all anti-seazed to no end, but hopefully won't have to worry about them again.

New trans filter and gasket (NAPA BTW has a great kit with new OEM style gasket for about $60). New fluid in trans and TC. Cleaned the rust from the output shaft to TC - amazing how much there was just from 183k of gear chatter. Lubed and reassembled.

Between this repair, new fluids, new sensors, new brakes, and new bushings, it's wonderful. All in for parts was about $1500. Good investment in my book seeing as I haven't put more than $500 ($1100 with tires) into it in 3 years and 42k miles. It's been paid for since day one.

Gottal love being able to keep good stuff on the road. Should be good for another 100k hopefully.

Very happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled into this thread as I also have a "choppy" idle at stop lights. I thought maybe an engine mount was bad (replaced driver side only 2 years ago) My truck has about 154k miles, so it due for some maintenance. For the O2 sensors, which brand did you go with? I see quite a few options on rockauto

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled into this thread as I also have a "choppy" idle at stop lights. I thought maybe an engine mount was bad (replaced driver side only 2 years ago) My truck has about 154k miles, so it due for some maintenance. For the O2 sensors, which brand did you go with? I see quite a few options on rockauto
Just a heads up. From what I understand the D/S mount fixes the clunk and the P/S mount clears up the vibrations. I've had the stoplight rumble on my Burb for a few years now and replacing the P/S mount is on my list if things to do.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to Amazon and bought GM OE. 2 upstream, 2 downstream. You'll get Denso for upstream, and TNK for downstream (I was concerned from other posts/reviews for knock-offs, so I compared at an auto parts store and they were correct.

I would buy the MAP sensor gaskets from Amazon as well - 5 pack for $10. I also purchased a GM OE mass airflow sensor. This one was DELPHI and was about $55. All of these items combined have made for a very smooth running engine, both at idle and while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon