Black Bear Tune vs AFE intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Black Bear Tune is the best performance bang for the buck that you can make. As Rocket Man stated, once you get you a Black Bear tune and pay for your Autocal and tune subscription, then when you make any subsequent mods that that can enhance performance, you can request and receive an updated tune from Black Bear at no additional cost.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which would you recommend if you had to pick 1??

I may end up doing both but for the time being I can only pick 1.

15 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L. Looking for increase in HP/torque as well as MPG( if possible??)

I’m pretty new to this stuff ( a few CAI’s and Dinan on cars) so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and stay safe out there

Kelly, read those intake reviews very carefully. They are usually on big cubic inch engines with aftermarket heads, injection systems, headers, etc.

The tune is your best bang for the buck and the basis for all future modifications. A tune not only tweaks your engine's computer settings, it does the transmission's settings as well.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lets put it this way, the intake will make a difference you can hear, the Tune will make a difference you can feel, big difference.... later on when you get the intake and a exhaust then you can feel it and hear it :D

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say tune first and then the intake if you have to choose, we update our tunes for free as long as you own the vehicle. Though it does take longer for us to get updates back to you. With the tune we can help with throttle response and shifting improvements and some HP TQ gains, all depending on fuel quality octane and condition of the vehicle prior to the tune.

Also side note we would tune it via our AutoCal, it will allow us to see your vehicle data and provide your custom tunes via email. We are on our last batch of AutoCals as well, maybe 7 left and don't think we are getting anymore anytime soon.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s say in a few years when I get another Tahoe/Yukon (‘17 or ‘18), would I be able to simply plug and play the Tune to the new vehicle, or do I need to send it to Black Bear to be re-tuned?

one of the reasons I was leaning towards an Intake was the ease of transfer from vehicle to vehicle.
The tunes are not transferable, we will update the tune for free as long as you own the vehicle, if you buy a new vehicle you would have to purchase an additional tune and license.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say tune first and then the intake if you have to choose, we update our tunes for free as long as you own the vehicle. Though it does take longer for us to get updates back to you. With the tune we can help with throttle response and shifting improvements and some HP TQ gains, all depending on fuel quality octane and condition of the vehicle prior to the tune.

Also side note we would tune it via our AutoCal, it will allow us to see your vehicle data and provide your custom tunes via email. We are on our last batch of AutoCals as well, maybe 7 left and don't think we are getting anymore anytime soon.
Are you having problems getting the Autocals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz