Denali Duramax: Expectation vs. Reality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While all of the above is true, I would add that the LM2 is probably one of the most forgiving light diesels designed. It was put together for the average person who wants the advantages that a diesel has to offer. It can handle short trips better than any other dmax as it has been designed for a daily driver type mode. I have never seen one on any of the forums I read (and I read many) "Gummed up" from short or non use. This vehicle comes up to temp as fast as any I've owned and completes regens in shorter mileage than any I've owned, even if interrupted. I've drove it 1k in a day and I've drove it less than a mile per day for 2-3 weeks straight. Not a whimper out of it either way.
I concur. I am almost the exact same story. 2-3 weeks I may only drive 2 miles each way to my garage, one highway trip if lucky. Then just tow 1600 miles round trip to Va. But not one issue and I think I am at 16 months ownership and 13K ? I read somewhere it was designed this way also, for soccer moms. Just drove 165 miles today and 28 mpg, cant beat it. I think if you live in a very cold climate up north and do alot of short trips, that may be an issue where one would consider gas over diesel.

skisanger98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 22 Suburban Durmax and within my first 6500 miles I have average well over 26 MPG. When I drive straight highway miles I am exceeded 30 MPG. As far as DEF at 6500 miles I had 3 bars left.

I have had other Suburbans with gas engines and the decision to go to diesel was the best move. I have been very happy with the power (towing and non-towing) and the milage.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While all of the above is true, I would add that the LM2 is probably one of the most forgiving light diesels designed. It was put together for the average person who wants the advantages that a diesel has to offer. It can handle short trips better than any other dmax as it has been designed for a daily driver type mode. I have never seen one on any of the forums I read (and I read many) "Gummed up" from short or non use. This vehicle comes up to temp as fast as any I've owned and completes regens in shorter mileage than any I've owned, even if interrupted. I've drove it 1k in a day and I've drove it less than a mile per day for 2-3 weeks straight. Not a whimper out of it either way.
Wife and I both have baby diesels (eco and dmax) as our daily drivers. Either of them will go months of sub 10 minute trips before a long drive. Infrequently we will get a regen notification, but 10 minutes on the highway and all is back to normal. The dmax will regen quicker but it regens significantly more often and uses significantly more DEF (2x at least more), not really a complaint but an observation.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, someone will own it when the oil pump belt needs to be changed. May not be the first owner, but if you are selling it, and the potential buyer knows they are staring at $1500 general maintenance coming, it will affect the resale. Agree, it’s not that big of a deal - similar to timing belt/water pump at 100k on Honda’s V6; gotta be done. But to just dismiss it as a “non issue” because the first owner won’t own it doesn’t alter that it needs to be done…is a bit short sighted. If someone is selling a rig with 120-130k on it, the buyer will ask if the belt has been changed, and it will swing the price as appropriate.

I still think the diesel is a fine option, and it’s a great engine. Depends on user’s application and preference.
I wish people were as maintenance conscious as alot of us but they are not. They just buy on price point. Especially used. But being a car nut always in and out of several cars, when I buy I look at maintenance when newer and along the way. Tells alot about how it was taken care of and used. We all look for common known issues. So this argument can be made for all 5.3 and 6.2 since 2021.....Everyone knows of the lifter, pushrod, cam issues. Whole top end comes off and metal may have gone through the motor. IF I were buying a 2021-2022 5.3 or 6.2 and DIDN'T see that the lifters were done.....I'd be reluctant to buy that truck knowing that had to be done and thats alot more expensive out of pocket..several thousand dollars. I'd probably be reluctant to buy if it was recently done too, because who knows if it ate the cam and put metal through that motor. I'd be MORE reluctant to buy the gas motor with no warranty as it is a guaranteed issue. Not one oil belt has been documented anywhere, and engineers recently said when interviewed they were happy to announce the interval is now 200K on the belt. The gas motors are dropping lifters with very low miles, there is no escaping that its coming eventually. I think the gas resale will be worse, thats an expensive fix. No man wants his wife in a truck that can get stuck.

Canadiansteelman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s your opinion on the power of the diesel ? Does it feel like it’s struggling at all ?
The answer is no, that 3 litre diesel has amazing torque. Very hard to believe it’s only 3.0 litres in size. You can cruise at 80 mph and it doesn’t seem like it Is even working.

jmzvet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish people were as maintenance conscious as alot of us but they are not. They just buy on price point. Especially used. But being a car nut always in and out of several cars, when I buy I look at maintenance when newer and along the way. Tells alot about how it was taken care of and used. We all look for common known issues. So this argument can be made for all 5.3 and 6.2 since 2021.....Everyone knows of the lifter, pushrod, cam issues. Whole top end comes off and metal may have gone through the motor. IF I were buying a 2021-2022 5.3 or 6.2 and DIDN'T see that the lifters were done.....I'd be reluctant to buy that truck knowing that had to be done and thats alot more expensive out of pocket..several thousand dollars. I'd probably be reluctant to buy if it was recently done too, because who knows if it ate the cam and put metal through that motor. I'd be MORE reluctant to buy the gas motor with no warranty as it is a guaranteed issue. Not one oil belt has been documented anywhere, and engineers recently said when interviewed they were happy to announce the interval is now 200K on the belt. The gas motors are dropping lifters with very low miles, there is no escaping that its coming eventually. I think the gas resale will be worse, thats an expensive fix. No man wants his wife in a truck that can get stuck.
I doubt the lifter / valve train problem is “guaranteed” to happen on every 2021 5.3 & 6.2 engine.
I wish GM would release the data as to the number of V8s on the road vs the number of those affected.
That being said, If my 5.3 goes down, I have my 3.0 to get me around.

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 23 Ultimate on order for 6 months. Never showed. I ended up with 2 - 2023 Denali's with the reserve package. One (the XL) stickered at 99 so no real savings over the ultimate. Just fell in love with. My other one was a "good deal" sticker at 93 with dealer giving me 1500 off, plus a fair trade number for my 21 Denali.

I guess the only thing I don't have is the Ultimate interior which seems pretty cool and the wheels which I am not a big fan.

I love them both and feel like I made a decent decision for the time period (Oct 23).

I do have to say my white leather interior on my tricoat Yukon looks damn fine. I would say as luxurious as the Ultimate.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 23 Ultimate on order for 6 months. Never showed. I ended up with 2 - 2023 Denali's with the reserve package. One (the XL) stickered at 99 so no real savings over the ultimate. Just fell in love with. My other one was a "good deal" sticker at 93 with dealer giving me 1500 off, plus a fair trade number for my 21 Denali.

I guess the only thing I don't have is the Ultimate interior which seems pretty cool and the wheels which I am not a big fan.

I love them both and feel like I made a decent decision for the time period (Oct 23).

I do have to say my white leather interior on my tricoat Yukon looks damn fine. I would say as luxurious as the Ultimate.
I'm a fan of the Light Shale/Teak...esp in the dead of summer.

A little microfiber cloth and water wipedown about once a week and the interior looks showroom new...

Every person who gets into my ride compliments the interior...Love it far more than all black...and honestly even more than the Alpine Umber...

BTW, I have white envy...many days I wish I had picked the White Frost...see sig, this is my first non-white GM Full size...(but it does match my boat...so there is that)

tjs3922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been pretty happy with the ease of cleaning the Light Shale interior. I have found a leather clearing/conditioning package that I am happy with (Lexol, easy to get priced well).

I did notice your white color preference. We were waiting on that Sage green color. The white tricoat Denali was special ordered at our dealer and the buyer backed out. My salesperson knew I might jump and we did. It is my first white vehicle ever and really like it. My XL is the Sterling Metallic and love the color. We didnt think we would like it. My liked it so that is how it came to be. Super glad we grabbed that one as well.

I will also try the microfiber and water once a week. Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9