Custom Tune Review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Gotcha...Yours is a great problem to have, except when it comes to doing fast adapts! Most folks struggle to keep those things cool and burn up the transmission so it's good to know the transmission is able to shed heat very efficiently. Drive around with the TECH2 hooked up and transmission live data displayed...look at various things like shift speed, torque converter efficiency and pay close attention during 2-3 and 3-4 up and down shifts to see if anything anomalous pops up in the data. Feel free to reply back w/photos of what the TECH2 displays if there's any question about the numbers, etc..
I’m in the process of having a buddy help me out. Once I can make arrangements with him(he has 3 kids lol) I will do just that!

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
So I know its been a while but work and life have been extremely busy. @NickTransmissions Finally tried to take advantage of a warmer day of 72 and got the tranny temp up and hooked up the Tech2 to try and watch some things but honestly, I could not figure out what screens to watch in order to try and see what was going on. Then, when I tried to reset the trans adapt, I went through menus in special functions, reset trans adapts and then once I hit enter to continue, it just takes me to a monitoring type screen. It does nothing and did not ask or prompt anything like I have read should happen. Can anyone provide some additional guidance on how to use the Tech2 to both monitor what is going on with the trans on my shifts from 3-2 and then how to actually perform the reset adapts?

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
I just wanted to bump this in case anyone missed it. I am looking for guidance on the how to best use the Tech2 to try and figure my tranny out. Maybe @NickTransmissions is away or I need to put this in the transmission thread but any advice is appreciated.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to bump this in case anyone missed it. I am looking for guidance on the how to best use the Tech2 to try and figure my tranny out. Maybe @NickTransmissions is away or I need to put this in the transmission thread but any advice is appreciated.
Hi @jdwood1111 - what transmission are you looking to diagnose via the TECH2?

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
Hi @jdwood1111 - what transmission are you looking to diagnose via the TECH2?
Its my 2011 6l80 AWD denali transmission. I had it tuned and the tuner seemed to make it a little better but I am trying to confirm what exactly is happening on the 3-2 down shifts as it seems to bang a little when going into gear. This only happens after the transmission seems to hit around 100 degrees. It is the worst between 100 degrees and 135 degrees and then seems to smooth out a little more once temps are hotter. If I come to a stop on the quicker side, it does not seem to do it. 2-1 downshift is typically ok and all upshifts are good. I tried to hook up the Tech2 to perform the fast adapts and it just goes to a monitor screen and nothing happens. Also, while driving I was trying to watch the TCC slip but not sure what else I should monitor or how exactly to use the Tech2 to try and capture some info to post up here.

I would think it was tune only but it was doing this a little worse before the tune so I am trying to determine if any additional tuning could be done or is it not worth the effort to contact my busy tuner and it needs a valve body, etc.

Thank you!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its my 2011 6l80 AWD denali transmission. I had it tuned and the tuner seemed to make it a little better but I am trying to confirm what exactly is happening on the 3-2 down shifts as it seems to bang a little when going into gear. This only happens after the transmission seems to hit around 100 degrees. It is the worst between 100 degrees and 135 degrees and then seems to smooth out a little more once temps are hotter. If I come to a stop on the quicker side, it does not seem to do it. 2-1 downshift is typically ok and all upshifts are good. I tried to hook up the Tech2 to perform the fast adapts and it just goes to a monitor screen and nothing happens. Also, while driving I was trying to watch the TCC slip but not sure what else I should monitor or how exactly to use the Tech2 to try and capture some info to post up here.

I would think it was tune only but it was doing this a little worse before the tune so I am trying to determine if any additional tuning could be done or is it not worth the effort to contact my busy tuner and it needs a valve body, etc.

Thank you!
You likely have wear in one or more of your compensator feed circuit components, which since it seems to be isolated to the 3-2 downshift, would be limited to that circuit...That said, there's still more than enough potential causes...

The specific data points you'd want to monitor are TCC Slip Speed, TCC Duty Cycle and TCC command (on/off) as well as shift speed and gear selection (ie what gear you are in per the system vs reality) for all gear transitions (up and down shifts)...A fast adapt may help but I'm guessing, it will only be temporary as whatever's worn (can be multiple things) will overcome the TEHCM's adaptation efforts and your symptoms will return.

I'm going to be doing a video on the compensator feed system in those transmissions and publish to my Youtube channel in early May. There's almost no information about this particular system, how it works and the role it plays in the function of the transmission, which is somewhat surprising since it's so critical and important to the overall health of the unit.

Anyways, fixes include everything from servicing the TEHCM (sometimes clogged pressure switch diaphragms or worn seals cause clunky shifts) to rebuilding the entire transmission - all depends on what's worn and the extent of the wear/damage.

OP
OP
J

jdwood1111

Reaction score
You likely have wear in one or more of your compensator feed circuit components, which since it seems to be isolated to the 3-2 downshift, would be limited to that circuit...That said, there's still more than enough potential causes...

The specific data points you'd want to monitor are TCC Slip Speed, TCC Duty Cycle and TCC command (on/off) as well as shift speed and gear selection (ie what gear you are in per the system vs reality) for all gear transitions (up and down shifts)...A fast adapt may help but I'm guessing, it will only be temporary as whatever's worn (can be multiple things) will overcome the TEHCM's adaptation efforts and your symptoms will return.

I'm going to be doing a video on the compensator feed system in those transmissions and publish to my Youtube channel in early May. There's almost no information about this particular system, how it works and the role it plays in the function of the transmission, which is somewhat surprising since it's so critical and important to the overall health of the unit.

Anyways, fixes include everything from servicing the TEHCM (sometimes clogged pressure switch diaphragms or worn seals cause clunky shifts) to rebuilding the entire transmission - all depends on what's worn and the extent of the wear/damage.
Thanks for the info Nick! I will mess around with the Tech2 some more for seeing what else I can monitor but probably just plan on doing the valve body. I wanted to try and confirm that before spending the money and time but I’m still not confident in the trans adapt reset which is required after the valvebody replacement. So I’m not sure how to go about that other than paying some one or doing the valve body myself and then towing it to a shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401