Denali Duramax: Expectation vs. Reality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rizop

Reaction score
I have the '21 LT Duramax and drove the 327 ci gas model too before deciding. I really could not tell that the gas was any faster to 60mph or even 80mph but, off the line and for drivability, the diesel was the clear winner to me (just a biased and subjective observation and I love Chevy V-8's, could have gone with one of them too). I don't think their is any speed disadvantage here. Perhaps pushing the small block 327 to the red line would have made more of a difference, but I don't think so b/c this diesel revs pretty high too.
That’s great feeeback . If the average person can’t really tell that much of a acceleration difference day to day although the 0-60 metrics are clearly different , that really speaks volumes of the instant torque and transmission tuning

Rizop

Reaction score
The take rate according to my dealer was nearly 30% according to their GM stats last year. Also, the LM2 trucks have a 5yr/100K powertrain warranty right on the window sticker to help sell the durability.

I think a 6.2L is more of a risk than buying a concept that's been around for decades and powerplant that has been around for years. There are far more catastrophic engine failures documented on the V8 (even outside the range GM reported), and I wouldn't trust a dealer-repaired engine that had mechanical failure of any kind.

All Denali's have the 2 speed case standard.
Wish there were some stats and percentages on who has had problems with the 6.2 and 5.3 vs who has not had issues . It doesn’t help that literally the only person I personally know that has a new body style Yukon / Tahoe just literally had their Yukon Denali experience 6.2 engine failure on a panhandle road trip that left them stranded in the middle of nowhere with 3 kids last week . They had to get it towed to a small dealership and stay in a local crummy hotel lol

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say there is a reasonable chance most V8’s are fine…but as a prospective owner if I would have read any of the mile long threads on the issues with them, it certainly would have influenced my decision to buy or not. I bought this vehicle to take on the road and if I thought there was even a reasonable chance it would fail at any opportune moment with no parts available etc, it would have been a hard no for me. Dependability real or perceived, is super important to me as many times we are 100+ miles from home and road trip often. I have short tripped it for weeks on end and drove 1k in a day. So far the Dmax has done this superbly without a whimper.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The take rate according to my dealer was nearly 30% according to their GM stats last year. Also, the LM2 trucks have a 5yr/100K powertrain warranty right on the window sticker to help sell the durability.

looks like the 30% is including their HD lineup, which is mainly diesel sales

Q1 2022, GM half tons are 10% diesel and SUVs are 5%... 5% is higher than I expected but at least shows the growing interest

somebody can (will) correct me but don't think the diesel emission system is covered under the powertrain warranty

links the pics were taken from

trucks.jpg

suvs.jpg

diesel.jpg

the GMC HD diesel sales looks off but other than that numbers look about right

Rizop

Reaction score
looks like the 30% is including their HD lineup, which is mainly diesel sales

Q1 2022, GM half tons are 10% diesel and SUVs are 5%... 5% is higher than I expected but at least shows the growing interest

somebody can (will) correct me but don't think the diesel emission system is covered under the powertrain warranty

links the pics were taken from

View attachment 374858

View attachment 374859

View attachment 374860

the GMC HD diesel sales looks off but other than that numbers look about right
Yeah I don’t think the diesel emissions is covered by the power train warranty . The only warranty I’ve found that covers this is the GM-backed (not GMEPP) bumper to bumper extended limited warranty that basically extends the factory warranty to 60k. I don’t think every dealer sells this though and it only goes to 60K

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Here is what my warranties consist of.... didn't buy any extra plans
There is something on GM website describing the emission components being covered

Screenshot_20220711-214833_Yahoo Mail.jpg

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pump belt issue is a totally overblown issue. Vast majority of owners will not even keep them that long.
Do good maintenance, dump a can of Seafoam thru them every so often, and don’t speculate about what may or may not happen. Drive it and be happy….
Well, someone will own it when the oil pump belt needs to be changed. May not be the first owner, but if you are selling it, and the potential buyer knows they are staring at $1500 general maintenance coming, it will affect the resale. Agree, it’s not that big of a deal - similar to timing belt/water pump at 100k on Honda’s V6; gotta be done. But to just dismiss it as a “non issue” because the first owner won’t own it doesn’t alter that it needs to be done…is a bit short sighted. If someone is selling a rig with 120-130k on it, the buyer will ask if the belt has been changed, and it will swing the price as appropriate.

I still think the diesel is a fine option, and it’s a great engine. Depends on user’s application and preference.

Rizop

Reaction score
Here is what my warranties consist of.... didn't buy any extra plans
There is something on GM website describing the emission components being covered

View attachment 374872
Thanks ! Is this the factory one that came with the vehicle ? Kinda looks like it . Regarding emissions , looks like the key word here is “select component” .

Rizop

Reaction score
Well, someone will own it when the oil pump belt needs to be changed. May not be the first owner, but if you are selling it, and the potential buyer knows they are staring at $1500 general maintenance coming, it will affect the resale. Agree, it’s not that big of a deal - similar to timing belt/water pump at 100k on Honda’s V6; gotta be done. But to just dismiss it as a “non issue” because the first owner won’t own it doesn’t alter that it needs to be done…is a bit short sighted. If someone is selling a rig with 120-130k on it, the buyer will ask if the belt has been changed, and it will swing the price as appropriate.

I still think the diesel is a fine option, and it’s a great engine. Depends on user’s application and preference.
Good point . I’ve had the fortune of owning several Lexus vehicles in the past . Really bullet proof and reliable cars but I’d be surprised if their impending timing belt/water pump maintenance didn’t affect the resale value at a relatively high mileage

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
Yes the one i posted above were factory warranties. Here is the link to download the packet for digging into the warranty details. Page 24-27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts