Best Sway Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badapag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I'm a newbie to the board and Yukons! I just picked up a loaded 2009 SLT, and I was wondering what the best sway bar to run is. I have done some research and came across Hellwig. Any opinions on these bars? I also seen the Hotchkis bars. They're sweet but a little pricey. Also when I read their directions they were telling you to bend a tab on the frame to get the hotchkis bar to work which kinda freaked me out.

Thanks,

Tony

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotchkis FTW! I love mine! They are pretty expensive, I think around $580 (got really lucky and found a used set super cheap on ebay a while back though). I didn't have to bend a tab or anything like that, they bolted right in, but mine is an 03.

Helps a ton if you can put your truck on a lift because you have to work the sway bar through some stuff on the front and it helps to have that extra room to maneuver it in there. Rear one is a piece of cake. Soak the old bolts in PB blaster and use some thread lock on the new bolts (I lost one b/c I didn't use it).

OP
OP
badapag

badapag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info tx. Sorry for not posting on the suspension thread too:sleepy10:

OT does anyone know how to change my user name? Actually just want to cap the 1st letter

Tony

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Message administrator Jkmotorsports or Shaggy and they will change your name for you.
And Eibach also makes good sway bars as they are much cheper then the other companies but have the same bar diameter, which is what matters.
Hellwigs advantage is the rear sway bar end link is adjustable in height (matters if you lift or drop).

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Message administrator Jkmotorsports or Shaggy and they will change your name for you.
And Eibach also makes good sway bars as they are much cheper then the other companies but have the same bar diameter, which is what matters.
Hellwigs advantage is the rear sway bar end link is adjustable in height (matters if you lift or drop).

I don't have my info here at work but I believe the Eibachs are a tad bigger in diameter than the rest..worth researching again, the thicker the steel diameter the better assuming all other things equal between the sets.

I think MAX has eibachs rite?

B

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah Max has Eibach Boss, I do remember comparing all the brands for the NNBS a while ago so I don't remember if they were the same sizes or slightly different.
For what it counts Badapag, the thicker the sway bar, teh better yur handling, the worst yor normal driving condtions because the bigger sway bar tranfers more harshness from side to side in the suspension system.

OP
OP
badapag

badapag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. You're right Nnaboy, I will be sacrificing the ride quality. I shouldn't get mod happy too quick.

OT, does anyone have their computer flashed with this Black Bear software? If I remember correctly, their website said their software works best with Yukon's left stock, no cold air intakes or exhaust systems. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Tony

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't notice any change in ride quality with the sway bars. My mom has a 2002 Tahoe, bone stock, that I drive a decent amount and my tahoe feels more planted, but doesn't ride any harsher that I have noticed ever.

The sways did get ride of a lot of the nose dive under braking and squat when accelerating, which I love. I feel that the braking distance improved a noticeable amount too (no testing to confirm, just seat of my pants).

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Your Bilsteins may have helped dampen any negtives the sway bar could have caused.
Honestly, if I had to choose to put a sway bar on any year Tahoe, I would choose the rear only, as the front bar, esp. on the 07-Up models, is huge, can't get much bigger!
Plus the rear is where most body roll comes from any way.....

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT, does anyone have their computer flashed with this Black Bear software? If I remember correctly, their website said their software works best with Yukon's left stock, no cold air intakes or exhaust systems. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Tony
not really. Just let them know what mods like CAI, and exhaust is done when you order. I LOVED the addition BB tune to my truck.........huge gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645