Belltech isn't performing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much searching I have decided to ditch the Belltech and try something different.

It seems I have a "chattering" sound coming from my rear end when it hits bumps of certain sizes, bumps that I go over i the neighborhood so there are not serious bumps. I can hear the chattering and feel the rear axle bounce the sound and feeling go hand in hand. More bounces (softer spring) the longer the chatter the less of a bounce the shorter timeframe I hear the chatter.

I have tried the springs that come with NORCAL kit, wrapped them in heater hose, tried Belltech 5323 springs (cant get heater hose around them) so far the heater hose on the NORCAL kit sound the best (least noise) but the right is too soft for my taste. The 5323 springs are my ride quality but the sound is still there.

I have played with the suspension rods for height adjustments but something eliminated the noise. I dont know if it the dead coils that sit on each other that is causing this but I cannot figure it out.

What would be the second best option to try instead of Belltech? Maybe thing that doesnt have springs sitting on top of each other?

Now the question is which spring to try next, Maxxtrac, McGaughy or Crown Suspension?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try contacting Tony at NORCAL as he may have some ideas.

Yes, the only thing he was suggesting was the heat hose trick which helped reduce some of the noise. I could have used more to wrap more coils of the original Belltech spring but overall I felt the original Belltech spring was too soft for my liking and unfortionitly I could not wrap the second Belltech spring 5323 (coils are thicker and coil 1/2 are too tight of a twist) which I feel like was the right firmness for me.

I talked with Belltech support also who was the ones that shipped me the 5323 springs to replace the 5301 (NORCAL package spring)

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you video the sound and maybe pictures of your set up?

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try and get an updated video and pictures of the current setup. I am currently running the 5323 springs without a spacer, suspension rod is set to 3 1/8" from center of connection cup to cup. Right feels good to me, makes funny noises when going over railroad tracks and large humps like the spring travel is getting to its limits but overall I like the drive.

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h

Here is a link to the video, only need to watch the first 30sec. My daughter recorded too much.

The video freezes for a second but the audio runs smooth. Crickets in the background are loud, sorry.

Want to listen for the chattering that follows the nature sound of a vehicle going over bumps

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the video, only need to watch the first 30sec. My daughter recorded too much.

The video freezes for a second but the audio runs smooth. Crickets in the background are loud, sorry.

Want to listen for the chattering that follows the nature sound of a vehicle going over bumps
I have no idea what you linked to there but maybe don’t use google drive. Try YouTube and link to it. All I saw there was a ton of drive folders with all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah want the best. It's there but hard to separate the nature noise of a vehicle going over a bump and the extra noise associated with it also. The initial noise is nature then I hear a secondary noise that repeats itself a couple tim s before subsiding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick