Suspension Uogrades: Leveling Kits vs Lift Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnderDogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I have an 04 Yukon Denali XL with a 3inch leveling kit. Right away I'm regretting my decision. Being new to the upgrade suspension world and taking the advice from the guy at the rim shop where I got my rims from. I just wanted to lift my truck up a lil bit. I'm not sure if it was installed right, but they have my CV axles bent upward with the lift causing unnecessary stress on them and after two weeks now there is some type of metal clanking sound when I hit bumps. The funny thing is prior to the leveling kit installation I replaced everything on the front end suspension except my CV axles. I have the auto ride suspension, it's not that bad of a ride like I've been hearing about as I've began my research on it after the fact, but when I get up to 65moh my front-end starts shaking and then stops at 75-80 mph. I know that it has alot to do with the suspension. Mind you I'm on 20inch TIS Offroad with 33inch Mud terrain. Prior to the kit I was able to get up to 90mph before I started feeling a slight vibration. Now I'm learning after my research that a lift kit is more worth the while than a leveling kit. And im also hearing that Rough Country isn't a good lift kit to invest in, but it's the most cost effective. I'm here for all advice and tips from anyone else with this experience. Thanks everyone. Can't wait to here from you all.

15burban

Reaction score
Did you ask or take it back to the shop that installed it and get their take on it? Did you get an alignment afterwards?

Any pictures of the truck and cv angles?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a leveling kit inherently as long as it's installed well. At 3", you probably want 2" shock extensions which can be had for about $20 on ebay.

Did you have a front end alignment done after the 3" keys were installed? Not all alignment shops are created equal. This is the one thing I go back to the dealer for every time. Not all dealer alignments are even created equal but that has a higher success rate in my experience.

If your 3" keys are maxed you may also look at aftermarket upper control arms which will correct your ball joint angle. The ebay ones are good, I've had several sets on different trucks. Something like these. Not strictly necessary; I am running 3" keys on stock upper control arms right now, but my keys are not maxed out.

Definitely have the CVs checked as well. If they're old, they do tend to wear in at the height your suspension is at. When you lift a truck it is not uncommon for it to cause the CVs to fail. Replace them with new, not reman units. I've had poor luck with reman CVs on leveled and lifted trucks.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do 90. My 320k Tahoe on 35s with 3" leveling keys is dead smooth past 90. Something in your setup has failed or was not set up correctly. Definitely recommend those shock extensions though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019