Belltech isn't performing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I notice you have shock extenders on a non mag ride susp. I was under the impression that those were only for mag ride setups, (per a belltech rep). I was curious why the mag ride kit had them and the non didn't. Plz educate me.

If you want to keep the stock ALC or AutoRide shocks with a drop, you need extenders to recoup some of the travel. When you lower the rear, the shocks get compressed the same amount as the drop. Extenders return 2" of this lost shock travel by relocating the lower mounting point of the shock 2" lower, letting it extend. You could run a 3" drop and, with extenders, the shock would only be compressed 1". I'd say this is about the most I'd go with comfortably. If you only had a 2" drop, the extenders would let the shock be at it's normal length as if the vehicle wasn't lowered.

I have a 4.5" drop. The shocks I have are about 2" shorter than stock, so they'd be compressed 2.5". Having extenders lets them be compressed only about .5".

I deleted my ALC/AutoRide shocks when I lowered mine. Returning 2" of lost travel to a shock that's been compressed 4.5" still means it's compressed 2.5", and that's too much. To my knowledge, nobody makes a shorter ALC/Autoride shock.

Twol8uluz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you want to keep the stock ALC or AutoRide shocks with a drop, you need extenders to recoup some of the travel. When you lower the rear, the shocks get compressed the same amount as the drop. Extenders return 2" of this lost shock travel by relocating the lower mounting point of the shock 2" lower, letting it extend. You could run a 3" drop and, with extenders, the shock would only be compressed 1". I'd say this is about the most I'd go with comfortably. If you only had a 2" drop, the extenders would let the shock be at it's normal length as if the vehicle wasn't lowered.

I have a 4.5" drop. The shocks I have are about 2" shorter than stock, so they'd be compressed 2.5". Having extenders lets them be compressed only about .5".

I deleted my ALC/AutoRide shocks when I lowered mine. Returning 2" of lost travel to a shock that's been compressed 4.5" still means it's compressed 2.5", and that's too much. To my knowledge, nobody makes a shorter ALC/Autoride shock.
Ahh gotcha! I don't have mag ride. So the shocks that come with the kit should be fine in stock location?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha! I don't have mag ride. So the shocks that come with the kit should be fine in stock location?

What kit? If you mean you're getting a drop kit that comes with shocks, then the shocks would be shorter to coincide with the drop. THis is common with mild (~1"-2") drops. The 2" drop kits that include shocks are like this since a 2" shorter shock is a fairly standard item. The cheaper mild drop kits that don't come with shocks are just the coils and extenders.

Twol8uluz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What kit? If you mean you're getting a drop kit that comes with shocks, then the shocks would be shorter to coincide with the drop. THis is common with mild (~1"-2") drops. The 2" drop kits that include shocks are like this since a 2" shorter shock is a fairly standard item. The cheaper mild drop kits that don't come with shocks are just the coils and extenders.
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify. Yes, I bought the whole belltech 2/4 drop kit. Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't seen a whole lot of good info for a non magride install so I'm trying to put together similarities and differences between the two.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify. Yes, I bought the whole belltech 2/4 drop kit. Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't seen a whole lot of good info for a non magride install so I'm trying to put together similarities and differences between the two.

Nothing wrong with asking questions! It's better to know the ins and outs of your suspension before than learn it the hard way afterward.

Yup- 4" rear drop. 2" shorter shocks and extenders that return 2" of travel for a total of 4" of travel retained which means you lose none from the 4" drop. I strongly advise you either trim the factory bump stop or completely remove it. Although, your model year may be high enough that even a 4" drop doesn't put you in danger of bottoming out. You can assess after you drop it.

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time ago when i started messing and modding cars, guy told me forget about comfort and ride without weird noises, All car manufacturers spend time and money perfection to some point our cars, suvs. Thats why we pay big sticker price. I remember days instaling Nuke TKO tranny in my 94 Stang 5.0. Boy i was pissed on whining noises, but i learn to live with it, and thats just begining with weird noises, like bushings made of rubber vs poly or steel bushing, thats another story. Im sorry if i rain on your parade but thats how modding cars works, you have to give up on something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep