Thinking about buying a used 13' Cadillac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warndogg

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy this Escalade ESV Platinum. I am wanting more room for hauling kids, sports, camping ect. It's a pretty clean 127k miles. It also just had new lifters and push rods and an engine mount installed at the dealership so probably won't have to deal with lifter failure for a while? My only issue is they are asking 20k. I've really been looking for a 07-09 6.2 but just can't find any in decent shape. 20k seems like a lot for one this old. What do you all think?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing and seeing from friends in the used car industry. the bottom is about the fall out of used car prices..

I don't know a time frame for shit happening, all I hear is it's currently starting and will get much worse. expecting to see a lot of dodge dealership especially declare bankruptcy.

if it's one you really want and you aren't breaking your budget, then it's your call. but if it's not super rare, you might sit on it a while.

for a reference, Kelly blue book isn't what it used to be, but it will give you a decent reference of what that same dealer would give you (in return kb has all your info to market with, while also charging the dealer $1000s a month for the contact) for trade if the roles were reversed. Just to make sure you're OK with him making that much profit out of your pocket on the sale.

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy this Escalade ESV Platinum. I am wanting more room for hauling kids, sports, camping ect. It's a pretty clean 127k miles. It also just had new lifters and push rods and an engine mount installed at the dealership so probably won't have to deal with lifter failure for a while? My only issue is they are asking 20k. I've really been looking for a 07-09 6.2 but just can't find any in decent shape. 20k seems like a lot for one this old. What do you all think?
The Escalade has 127K miles on it, which is kind of high, but not too unusual for its age. The important thing is the condition of the car. Since it's said to be 'pretty clean' and big parts like lifters, push rods, and an engine mount were recently replaced at a dealership, that's a good sign—it seems like the car's been well taken care of. These fixes also mean some of the usual wear-and-tear problems have been sorted, which could save you from some repair costs right off the bat.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
From what I'm hearing and seeing from friends in the used car industry. the bottom is about the fall out of used car prices..
Yes I have been seeing prices coming down for a few months now.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck is in good condition as you've been told, you should get well over 250k miles out of it. It is the next to the last year of its generation (NNBS), so all of the bugs have been worked out of it.

A bird in the hand..... If it fits your needs and your budget, then I say go for it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Escalade has 127K miles on it, which is kind of high, but not too unusual for its age. The important thing is the condition of the car. Since it's said to be 'pretty clean' and big parts like lifters, push rods, and an engine mount were recently replaced at a dealership, that's a good sign—it seems like the car's been well taken care of. These fixes also mean some of the usual wear-and-tear problems have been sorted, which could save you from some repair costs right off the bat.
127k isn’t high for a 13. Mine has 187k.

I do agree though, the condition is what matters the most and if it’s nice, I’d pay for it. You’ll spend more on repairs and more of your time dealing with cleaning or fixing and it isn’t worth saving a little. I should have passed on the 13 I bought because it needed a massive amount of work including $5k at the body shop repainting the hood and roof, blending the fenders, and replacing the front bumper. I bought it because it was a 2WD ESV Platinum but it probably would have cost less to delete the AWD on a truck that was in better shape…

I wouldn’t sit around waiting for the used car market to crash either. It has pretty much returned to how it was pre-pandemic and people are just mad thinking their used cars were going to be worth a fortune forever. The new car market is what might give because of the insane prices combined with high interest rates.

OP
OP
warndogg

warndogg

Reaction score
If the truck is in good condition as you've been told, you should get well over 250k miles out of it. It is the next to the last year of its generation (NNBS), so all of the bugs have been worked out of it.

A bird in the hand..... If it fits your needs and your budget, then I say go for it.
Man I would be stoked if I could get 250k out of it! Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to see if the guy will take closer to 18k.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have been seeing prices coming down for a few months now.

so I don't mean for this to talk you out of buying it. but just stuff I would have liked to have known before buying mine. well, OK I mostly knew but bought it anyways haha. which you very well might too.

so afm. it's a mechanical failure of the lifters, but there's 3 different reasons they can fail. first lack of oil changes, the wear internally or build up gunk and get stuck. but they can also fail because of a electrical issue with the vlom or a lack of correct oil pressure, either from a bypass going bad, or one of that gaskets under the vlom. the bolts for that cover are commonly found finger tight.

so basically it depends on how they "fixed' the lifter failure. I of times just dropping in new lifters fail again in less than the time the first set failed. the only 2 correct ways is to replace everything involved with the afm, from top to bottom or a complete delete, all hardware and relash the ecm. both of which I have doubts the dealership did or even will do.

the motor mounts being changed is nice, but if they used oem, which they probably did being a dealer. they will rip again in between 40k to 80k as my guess. the real fix is ones from a H3 hummer or aftermarket poly mounts. any other replacement fails again again.

yours 127k is pushing the time is ready for a new torque converter before it releases all its metal and takes a $7k tranny with it. while there, soon the oil starts leaking around this mileage. so factor in oil pan gasket, rear cover and main seal, toss in the pick up o ring while there. but make sure you get the right o ring. the wrong one seems to be used often.

that's just what I've gathered from research. others might come and tell you have a good chance it's solid till 300k. but if I don't tell you and you're posting about 10k in repairs 6 months from now, I'd feel bad reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper

Latest posts