Another 6.2 for 5.3 swap going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Made some progress yesterday. First some mundane things to deal with;

L94-11.jpg

Broken exhaust bolt standing up for easy removal. Heat, penetrating oil, and a couple smacks with a hammer had this one ready to just pull out with vice grips.

L94-13.jpg

L94-10.jpg

This one was flush with the deck and had to be drilled, heated, penetrated, hammered, and finally extracted with a screw extractor.

L94-12.jpg

Oddly I wasn't prepared for how light these cylinder heads are.

L94-9.jpg

Block is nearly ready for final cleaning and then assembly. I managed to pull the harmonic balancer with an antique two jaw puller by using a combination of flat pry bars for the jaws to latch onto behind the pulley.

L94-8.jpg

And finally the AFM oil towers plugged.

L94-14.jpg

My oil pan is nasty and will take some cleaning. Oil on the outside, sludge piled up inside. I didn't get a perfect clean used engine. I wish I could afford to fix this thing up good as new so for now I'll have to follow the old programming adage: never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.
While you're down this far maybe check bearings for wear and replace. Possibly rings too.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It rotates smoothly. If the bearings are shot I'm just screwed as I'm beyond broke.

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
Hey pat. I’m also thinking new motor from a 5.3 to ? Just trying to figure options. Why did you decide for the 6 and not rebuild the 5.3?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to keep using my Tahoe even running badly. Add thT my motor is 221k miles with unknown service history and I might have gotten in and had to do all this.

Shopping motors the 5.3 is popular but demand is high. The 6.2 was only a couple hundred more so I went this way.

I was planning on retaining AFM until these guys convinced me otherwise so I bought a motor with and I'm spending more to remove it.

jsmith564

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AFM is responsible for needing to tear down a perfectly good motor down to the short block. The lifter collapsed, turned on the cam and tore the lobe up.

Stupid $10 part cost $4,000 in parts and labor for basically a top end rebuild that it otherwise didn’t need.

bacon612

Reaction score
This is a fantastic thread. @PatDTN good luck with your job. Thanks for sharing those pics. Looks like you're off to a great start.

I drive a '14 Suburban as a daily with 100k miles on it. Bought it with 70k and no clear history and for now it runs fine. I am about to tune out the AFM.

Apologies for hijacking but is the consensus that the AFM delete (just a tune) in my situation that it's not enough to drive this truck reliably for the next ten years? My last truck was a 99 Denali (350, obs) and I sold it with 335k miles and I think it's still on the road.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing those funky lifters and all the associated hardware I'm glad I'm in a position to replace everything inside. Dunno what your answer is.

Started reassembling this morning. LS9 cam and lifters in. Waiting on valve stem seals and my fancy valve spring compressor to get here so I can put the new valve springs in.

Oddly my used engine already has a spray guard on the oil pressure relief valve.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for hijacking but is the consensus that the AFM delete (just a tune) in my situation that it's not enough to drive this truck reliably for the next ten years?

Disabling will certainly help. All those moving parts in the lifters, as Pat described, will last much longer if they're not moving. I still don't believe it's a foolproof method. Another ten years? I wouldn't bank on it, but I can't say that it won't. Maybe if you don't drive 1,000,000 miles over the next ten years or don't run it hard. I'd consider it more of a comfortable way to kick the can down the road until you're ready to delete it.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started putting this thing back together and running into little roadblocks here and there. I can't use my vvt timing cover because the sensor will be too far away from the timing gear. I can't yank the non vvt cover off my 5.3 yet because I still need to drive it some.

My oil pump pickup tube fell on and rattled around at the pump. New O-ring later and it's a snug fit again. The old ring was just smoothly compressed and hardened.

The last time I rebuilt an engine I could reach down the distributor hole and spin the oil pump to prime the system. What do I do with an LS motor?

I won't be putting the intake on until I get this bolted into the truck. Of course the valley pan has a riser right in front of one transmission bolt so I'll have to see how accessible that bolt is with the pan on. I'll probably end up taping a sheet of heavy plastic across the whole open top of my engine during assembly.

I have a friend with a lift which would be nice but I'm afraid I'd run into problems and tie up his shop for too long so I'll have to do this on my back. Yuck. At least my garage is warm.

When it's time to make the swap it sure would be nice to have some extra hands. Anyone near White Pine TN want to help and learn (or teach) some stuff?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I rebuilt an engine I could reach down the distributor hole and spin the oil pump to prime the system. What do I do with an LS motor?

For about $50-$60 in materials, you can either make a primer that uses compressed air or one that uses an electric motor. I made one out of 6" PVC pipe and a short air hose and fittings from Harbor Freight. You'll also need an adapter fitting that screws into the side of the oil pump to convert that thread size to the size that a male 1/4" NPT air barb fitting can screw in to. I'm currently on my work laptop so I can't look up my Amazon history to get you a link to that oil pump fitting. It's really simple- you fill up the reservoir (6" PVC with caps on each end) with 5-6 quarts of oil, connect your air supply, open the valve a little to pressurize the tank, and rotate the crank both directions while the oil is pushed through the system. When you first hear the sputtering from the reservoir going empty, drain the oil out of the oil pan and pour it back into the reservoir to repeat the process. I repeat this 2-3 times until I see oil come out of all the rockers from the tips of the push rods.

A friend made his from an electric motor. I think his screws into the oil pan drain hole and into the oil pump, and he just pours about 6 quarts into the engine and lets it run while he turns the crank. I really like his way better, but I had already made mine a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts