2010 DENALI 6.2 Motor "Seized"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another update for everyone interested. Pulled valve cover and nothing looked odd, loosened rockers on that cylinder and nothing seemed odd there. Threw my leakdown tester on that cylinder and I'm getting air out the intake only, so fingers crossed piston is intact and it's a head/valve issue yet...and the piston didn't get the piss beat out of it!

Next couple weeks I'll get the coolant drained and start tearing apart and pull the head!
Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming!

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 2009 Denali In similar condition scenario. Pulled oil plug and coolant came out with the oil. Couldn’t turn motor over with breaker bar on crankshaft pulley. Had to pull engine with transmission together. Pulled the heads and here is what I found, looks like the piston exploded. Taking block to machine shop to assess, but think it can be rebuilt. **Update-looks like a valve seat came loose and caused the piston to implode.***
My 09 had the exact failure you have there, and it's even in the same piston location. I still can't explain why it happened, but I went with TSP performance heads and a 4 corner steam kit instead of going back to stock.

20201017_141820.jpg

20201017_144314.jpg

20201017_141751.jpg

georgerenner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say, 'a lifter', there's two kinds of lifters in GM LStype V8s capable of V4 mode:
one mode lifters (ol' school), and two-mode lifters that allow V4 mode to happen.

Two mode lifters cannot possibly last as long as one mode lifters, even with the most responsible oil change intervals.
Two mode lifters fail often enough, that:
the majority of engine rebuilds replace them with one mode lifters, either as precaution or as a fix
fixing / replacing one or more failed lifters is among the most common reasons to rebuild these engines
Many rebuilt engine vendors sell more engines lacking V4 mode than having it, because it improves longevity and durability
Read your link, interesting. Sounded like Stockholm Syndrome.

georgerenner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up a 2009 Denali In similar condition scenario. Pulled oil plug and coolant came out with the oil. Couldn’t turn motor over with breaker bar on crankshaft pulley. Had to pull engine with transmission together. Pulled the heads and here is what I found, looks like the piston exploded. Taking block to machine shop to assess, but think it can be rebuilt. **Update-looks like a valve seat came loose and caused the piston to implode.***
Thanks for sharing your efforts!

Rokjhn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_2024-02-24-09-17-02-58_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg

There are more cost effective versions here too that look good. But there are also more flimsy versions that use rubber tubing and look like leaks waiting to happen

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dyce51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the head pulled today, about what I was expecting. Dropped a valve seat in cylinder 7. I was actually expecting more damage to the head, but the piston got nicked as well...

Other pistons on this side look fine and the cylinder wall isn't damaged. Not sure yet what I will do. May do a leak down test on the other side and see how that comes out. The PCV hose I noticed had quite a bit of oil in it, what does the inside of the "new style" vs "old style" valve cover look like? Not sure if that's where the oil is coming from or not, but it was my first guess with the oil in the hose and intake.

I had a brief thought of "Pull the pan and replace the piston"... but reality set in and that's obviously not the "Best" idea.

Attachments

• PXL_20240301_235758111.jpg
    PXL_20240301_235758111.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240301_235740495.jpg
    PXL_20240301_235740495.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 3

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even the new style valve cover needs a catch can for the amount of oil in the pvc. so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm amazed how much I get every 5k miles or so.

honestly I kinda lead towards the sloppy mechanics way of doing things lol. good youtube if you haven't seen it. if pull the pan and pop a unused piston and rod in is an option, I wouldn't hesitate. mostly the valve train is going to fail on these things before a sketchy bottom end will anyways.

OP
OP
D

dyce51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
even the new style valve cover needs a catch can for the amount of oil in the pvc. so I wouldn't worry about that. I'm amazed how much I get every 5k miles or so.

honestly I kinda lead towards the sloppy mechanics way of doing things lol. good youtube if you haven't seen it. if pull the pan and pop a unused piston and rod in is an option, I wouldn't hesitate. mostly the valve train is going to fail on these things before a sketchy bottom end will anyways.
I am somewhat considering this...maybe...I'm one for fixing something if it's fixable...to a point. I doesn't look like it hit hard, so I don't believe the bearing or rod will be damaged.

I will assess some more and hopefully make a decision this weekend.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCV hose I noticed had quite a bit of oil in it, what does the inside of the "new style" vs "old style" valve cover look like? Not sure if that's where the oil is coming from or not, but it was my first guess with the oil in the hose and intake.
The new improved driver side valve cover makes a night a day difference in what I catch in my catch can. With the original 07 L92 vc I was catching 1-2 oz every 100 miles. With the new and improved vc I catch about 2 oz every 5k miles.

Here's the GM TSB with pics of the valve covers on page 2:
https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts