Another 6.2 for 5.3 swap going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't know the real answer to the question above. I talked to a muffler shop who said he'd do the swap for $150. I considered what I thought it was going to take and decided that was a deal. Rather than drop the transmission support and knowing he needed to use part of the old one he cut the old one up to get it out.

When he tried the left side of the new pipe it didn't clear the transmission. As I type this I realize the pipe probably fit nicely with the 4L series but mine is a 6L90. In short he ended up chopping up the new pipe and welding it back together quite expertly. The fit is nice but I ended up paying $250 for all that work.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I don't know the real answer to the question above. I talked to a muffler shop who said he'd do the swap for $150. I considered what I thought it was going to take and decided that was a deal. Rather than drop the transmission support and knowing he needed to use part of the old one he cut the old one up to get it out.

When he tried the left side of the new pipe it didn't clear the transmission. As I type this I realize the pipe probably fit nicely with the 4L series but mine is a 6L90. In short he ended up chopping up the new pipe and welding it back together quite expertly. The fit is nice but I ended up paying $250 for all that work.
He should've honored the $150 charge. Not your fault he underestimated--maybe on purpose too--the job. When I give an estimate for a job and it's more work then I thought--I eat it. It's my fault. I can't in good conscience go over the estimate I gave the guy.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He should've honored the $150 charge. Not your fault he underestimated--maybe on purpose too--the job. When I give an estimate for a job and it's more work then I thought--I eat it. It's my fault. I can't in good conscience go over the estimate I gave the guy.

No, he went only on the information I gave him on the phone. It would be nice if he knew about the differences between the two models but even this group didn't toss that out as a possibility.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my Tahoe back for the tuner to finish. I thought I'd fill up with regular so I could run that. Unfortunately it seems the LS9 cam foiled me. Under light throttle it pings and he couldn't tune that out. He took out a bunch of advance so when I get my second tank of high test he'll adjust.

On the other hand when I punch the gas it's violent! I did not expect this big an improvement.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's so good to hear that the swap is worth it. Its a shitload of work and risk.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. That's all I wanted from my truck. I was so disappointed when it still couldn't break traction even after cam/headers in the 5.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu