Another 6.2 for 5.3 swap going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.3 suddenly started blowing large clouds of blue smoke on startup. After a mere 220k miles I think it's done. I walked into the cloud to smell and I think it's got a tinge of coolant too.

Whether it's getting coolant into the cylinders or not fixing the cylinder heads is enough expense that I wouldn't want to do it and put more pressure on the bottom end with stock compression restored.

I did some searching and found an L92 from a 2011 Escalade with 152k miles. That's been ordered and is on the way. I know it's popular to delete AFM but I want to keep that and VVT. This engine has both.

Of course I plan on going over the engine when I get it. I'm putting together a list of gaskets and sensors to order for that. I have read about an o-ring on the oil pump. I figure a timing chain tensioner and some sensors that would be hell to replace with the engine installed. Of course I'll drop the oil pan if only to clean up. Looking at Fel-pro rubber gaskets whenever possible.

I wouldn't turn down some good advice but I'm broke so no upgrades.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The L92 was in the '07 and '08 Escalade. The 2011 Escalade got the L94. If you do have an L92, it'll either have AFM components or not. If you have an engine from a 2011 Escalade, then yes, it'll have AFM and VVT.

The only advice I can offer is to delete AFM. The ~1 MPG increase it gives is vastly negated by the expense to repair or replace the engine.

Granted, your 2011 may have the updated AFM lifters and should have the updated VLOM. But, still. IMO, if it's out and on a stand and you're opening it up to replace gaskets, etc., you'd be crazy to not delete it. I understand not upgrading due to being broke. You don't have to get a performance cam. A stock cam from an L9H (part #12623065) would delete the AFM but keep VVT.

As far as sensors that are "hell to replace with the engine installed"- the oil pressure sensor is really about the only one. The crank position sensor is a close second because it's behind the starter. Everything else is pretty accessible.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep AFM on the L94 Pat, replace the VLOM at the very least or turn off AFM. When those solenoids get out of time, they take out the lifters.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. Dunno why I typed L92 when it is in fact an L94. I chose one from an Escalade on the assumption that it would have a better chance of living an easylife.

Thanks for the solenoid suggestion. I'll add that to my list.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. Dunno why I typed L92 when it is in fact an L94. I chose one from an Escalade on the assumption that it would have a better chance of living an easylife.

Thanks for the solenoid suggestion. I'll add that to my list.

I agree with an Escalade engine likely having an easier and better-maintained life. In a past project, I chose an LQ9 from an Escalade instead of from a Silverado SS for the same reasons.

This may be far left field thinking, but, to me, being driven easily means that AFM would've been engaged (and disengaged) more often, putting the components that much closer to their end of life. An engine ran a little harder likely would've remained in V8 mode for a much larger amount of it's use.

If you're not deleting it, as James suggested, disable it. You're gonna need a tune anyway so it can be turned off then. VVT is a keeper, though.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're getting great advice here. And I understand being broke and not wanting to do any upgrades if you can avoid it. But (you knew there had to be a but :)), it's truly a case of pay-me-now or pay-me-later with the AFM system on that engine. And the engine being out of the truck is the best time to do a proper AFM delete. You're going to have to pay for a tune anyway, so another $1.5K in parts (for quality stuff) to make that engine bulletproof and get more HP+TQ+mileage to boot, is a no-brainer. I'm in the middle of a cam swap in my 2012 XL Denali and can't wait to get that AFM hardware out of there.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my opinion on AFM. We all know bean counters run businesses. Putting all that extra hardware in there costs a lot of money. If it only gained one MPG but incurred a huge liability both in warranty repair costs and reputation they would leave it out. Millions of people aren't having problems. Those that do are very vocal about the problem. I'll check as best I can to be sure it's in good running order but I plan to leave it in. Besides which I can't possibly add another $1500 to the tab for this project.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my opinion on AFM. We all know bean counters run businesses. Putting all that extra hardware in there costs a lot of money. If it only gained one MPG but incurred a huge liability both in warranty repair costs and reputation they would leave it out. Millions of people aren't having problems. Those that do are very vocal about the problem. I'll check as best I can to be sure it's in good running order but I plan to leave it in. Besides which I can't possibly add another $1500 to the tab for this project.
I hear you, but the bean counters only care about the system working long enough to get it through the warranty period, and about meeting CAFE regulations to avoid penalties, both of which AFM promotes. After that it sells dealer parts and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Geotrash's reply got me concerned because it makes sense. I called my friend David Coleman of Coleman Brothers history and talked about it with him. He basically said taking it out was probably a good idea. He's a guy who gives you information but makes you do the thinking. He wouldn't just say take it out.

Okay. It's gonna have to come out somehow. I've looked at Summit Racing and they have a bunch of delete kits none of which includes a cam. I really don't want to buy all new valve springs so the idea of a low lift cam that won't get my springs jammed up appeals to me.

What AFM Delete kit and which cam are y'all recommending? More power isn't a top priority though I would love more.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a notice from the shipper that my new used engine will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I'm kinda anxious to get this going so I did a bunch of searching. Texas Speed and Performance came up a lot in the searches with a full kit including cam so I called them. They gave me a discount for being a firefighter and that covered shipping. I talked to the guy and we believe my 2009 didn't have VVT so he recommended deleting that and AFM on my new engine.

He also saved me some money by going with an LS9 cam AND springs cheaper than (I think he said) the LS7 cam. They have all the parts in stock down there and are shipping them asap so I should have all those parts by the end of the week. I pray there won't be much else to buy but this came in at $783. I will be dropping the oil pan so there's another gasket there and I'll be looking into that oil pump O-ring.

This will retain the high volume oil pump which will exercise the pressure release regularly. Hopefully no ill effects.