6L80 Sonnax ZIP Kit, Pressure Switch rebuild, remote filter install, and fluid flush in 2013 Escalade ESV (Pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good to know about the slippage and the relearn. I will tell Black Bear when I submit the data logs.

What does the relearn have to do with the tune from BBP? I never discussed a relearn with them but I have the ability to do it. Whats the difference?

I have the same question as George B.

I've installed tunes with my Diablo Intune I3 and have done the TCM to firm up shifts a bit and remove torque management but have never done a trans adapts relearn with the Tech2
BlackBear also tunes the transmission and when Justin was tuning the truck with me, an in person tune, he did the Adapts while we were driving. Well, I think we either pulled over or he did it at a red light before it turned green. Guess he likes the transmission to get a fresh start but I no longer remember exactly what he said.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BlackBear also tunes the transmission and when Justin was tuning the truck with me, an in person tune, he did the Adapts while we were driving. Well, I think we either pulled over or he did it at a red light before it turned green. Guess he likes the transmission to get a fresh start but I no longer remember exactly what he said.
I asked because they didn’t say anything about adapts with my email tune so I just load and go.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked because they didn’t say anything about adapts with my email tune so I just load and go.
Well, maybe he does something else that warrants it when tuning in person or maybe he doesn't mention it because most folks don't have a Tech-2 and would balk at the additional expense of having the dealer do it? Might consider asking him and letting him you have a Tech-2 and can do it if necessary.

Reaction score
Well, maybe he does something else that warrants it when tuning in person or maybe he doesn't mention it because most folks don't have a Tech-2 and would balk at the additional expense of having the dealer do it? Might consider asking him and letting him you have a Tech-2 and can do it if necessary.
So would it hurt anything to do it if it actually doesn't need it?

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon returning home from the wasted trip to the dealership for 'paint touchup', I got to work on installing the remote spin on transmission filter. I am big fan of these, and have them on all of my automatic transmission vehicles. Spin on filter gets changed yearly, pan filter every 5 years. It also makes fluid flushes easier.

I put the Escalade up on jack stands at the front to give me room to work underneath.

2021-10-24 139.JPG
Had to remove this air deflector at the front. I am not used to seeing one of these.

2021-10-24 140.JPG
Under the front end, looking up at the new transmission cooling lines from the transmission to the radiator and from the external cooler back to the transmission.

2021-10-24 141.edit.jpg
My intent was to install the remote filter mount here on the inside passenger front frame rail, tucked up out of the way, yet still easily accessible.

2021-10-24 192.JPG
Check it out, I didn't know my Escalade still had tow hooks. Granted, they are behind the front fascia.

2021-10-24 176.JPG
Also a view of the new oil cooler lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021-10-24 178.JPG
Parts needed for this conversion: WIX 51515 oil filter (NAPA Gold 1515 also works), B&M V1A transmission oil filter, well used remote filter mount and hardware, 3/8" OD metal fuel line bent for this application, Derale 3/8" ID transmission cooling hose, fuel injection style hose clamps.
Notes: I installed the B&M transmission filter first, to run the fluid through it and catch anything that falls out from the work I did. At the next oil change, the WIX 51515 will be filled with a fresh quart of Dexron VI and installed for a year. Also, I ended up double clamping everything and used 12 hose clamps.

I wanted to plumb the filter in before the radiator cooler, as hot oil filters better. However, I didn't want to cut the newly installed transmission lines. So, I compromised and cut the existing line from the radiator to the external cooler. Good enough. I cut the hose in the transmission line in the middle. I used the straight bent metal fuel line and transmission cooling hose to connect the upper radiator out transmission line to the inlet of the filter mount. I used the round bent metal fuel line and transmission cooling hose to connect the outlet of the filter mount to the inlet transmission line to the external cooler. It took me awhile and several tries to get the metal lines bent to where they fit snugly and were to my liking.

2021-10-24 188.JPG
Looking down at the existing transmission line from the upper radiator port.

I drilled and tapped three 5/16-24 NF holes in the frame to install the filter mount. I made a template from the mount holes, and used my transfer punch set, and still drilled the holes a little off. :mad:

2021-10-24 191.JPG
Remote transmission filter mount and B&M filter installed.

2021-10-24 189.JPG
Looking down at the remote filter installation. Note that I secured the transmission line with a P-clip and spacers to the passenger's side fan shroud. There was already a hole there. Just put a bolt, spacer, and nut on it.

2021-10-24 190.JPG
Another view of the remote filter installation.

This remote filter still fits under the front air deflector. Yet, if it leaks, the leaks will fall out the back of the deflector and be seen by me.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that the remote filter had been installed, I could flush the fluid. This was definitely one of my main goals. I am a firm believer in fresh, clean ATF in an automatic transmission. The fluid in all my automatics gets changed every 2 years, whether it likes it or not. The remote spin on filter gets changed every year. I was spoiled by my Explorer, it had a drain plug in the torque converter and I added a drain plug to the transmission pan. I could get over 12 of the 13 quarts of ATF that it took out with each drain. This remote filter will let me do that for my Escalade.

Before I even started the engine, I removed the B&M filter. I positioned an oil drain pan, 1 gallon jug, and large funnel directly under the filter mount. Cheating and using the remote start, I started the engine. And watched a steady stream of Dexron VI flow out of the filter mount. When the jug had approximately 3.5 quarts in it, I shut off the engine. While the filter mount stopped drooling, I added 3.5 qts of fresh synthetic Dexron VI to the transmission. Then, empty the jug under the filter mount. This is IMPORTANT! I missed this step one time... Lather, rinse, and repeat. I ran 4 gallons of ACDelco Dexron-VI full synthetic ATF 88865618 through the transmission until the fluid out of the filter mount ran clear and clean. Reinstalled the B&M filter and called it good.

Once all was said and done, and the transmission was up to temperature, I did have to add another 0.5 qt of Dexron-Vi to bring the level up to the middle of the HOT mark on the dipstick.

Good for another two years.

2021-10-24 212.JPG
Flushing ATF into the funnel and jug.

2021-10-24 213.JPG
Early flushing fluid. Not bad, but not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu