6L80 Sonnax ZIP Kit, Pressure Switch rebuild, remote filter install, and fluid flush in 2013 Escalade ESV (Pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have worked on the valve bodies on a number of GM, Ford, and Mercedes automatic transmissions, but I would not say I am comfortable with it. So, I put parts removed from each step in a ziplock bag, then marked the bag with the step number, matching figure number, and the sizes of the heads of the bolts.
This way, I could put the right parts and bolts back in the right places and not have to rely on my memory.

2021-10-24 085.JPG
Ziplock bag marked with: Valve body halves, 7mm 10mm, (step) 1-g Fig 9.

2021-10-24 086.JPG
7mm and 10mm headed bolts that hold the valve body together, removed in step 1-g.

2021-10-24 088.JPG
Sonnax ZIP kit instructions showing step 1-g, and referencing figure 9.

2021-10-24 087.JPG
Sonnax ZIP kit instructions showing figure 9.

Also, I used my beam type and click type inch/pound torque wrenches and followed the torquing sequence when assembling things. The Sonnax instructions stressed this. Especially with the TECHM.

2021-10-24 089.JPG
Using beam type inch/pound torque wrench to tighten bolts, following torquing sequence in figure above in the instructions.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING write-up!! Thank you for sharing your project, with the excellent details at each step. Especially enlightening were your references to where documentation was light, and the gotcha's that you added to help on future projects by others.

This is yet another reason why this Forum ROCKS!! Knowledge is power!

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING write-up!! Thank you for sharing your project, with the excellent details at each step. Especially enlightening were your references to where documentation was light, and the gotcha's that you added to help on future projects by others.

This is yet another reason why this Forum ROCKS!! Knowledge is power!

Yessir! You are quite welcome! This is my first GM SUV, but not my first gearhead forum experience. I am going to be a useful, contributing member.
My documentation will be useful to others, because that is how it has been for me over the years. You take when you can and you give back when you can.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir! You are quite welcome! This is my first GM SUV, but not my first gearhead forum experience. I am going to be a useful, contributing member.
My documentation will be useful to others, because that is how it has been for me over the years. You take when you can and you give back when you can.
Honored to have to among us, and grateful for your mindset.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not do a full tear down disassembly of this valve body. I did not really see any sludge or crud, so I did not see the need to pull out all the valves. I only pulled out what was instructed in the Sonnax ZIP kit. As well, I did not use any brake cleaner. Which kills me, as I love brake cleaner. I have my own hole in the ozone layer above my work shop... Transmission experts I have dealt with warn that brake cleaner can damage seals and softer parts of a transmission and valve body. Anyway, everything was wiped down with lint free rags and reassembled accordingly. Only exception is the TECHM. Sonnax pressure switch rebuild instructions and video recommend using 30PSI air to blow out the pressure switches and solenoids. I did the pressure switches, but forgot the solenoids. Grrr.

Also, I only installed parts from the Sonnax ZIP kit in the valve body. There are some parts that go in the transmission front pump. I will deal with those in the future when I replace the torque converter.

First ZIP kit upgrade was installing the Sonnax O-ringed end plug kit. This is where I determined the instructions were lacking, and then searched for better. The ZIP kit instructions just said Installation Step 4: Replace Upper Valve Body OE End Plugs. It didn't say how. I found the instructions for the actual kit and learned you have to remove the retainer, remove the OE end plug, install the O-ringed plug, then reinstall the retainer. Easy once you know. I will say this, those little O-rings were a b*tch to get on. The plugs are tiny and light, and the O-rings are tight. Add in nitrile gloved hands, and it took awhile. A couple of plugs and O-rings went flying and had to be found. Also, the instructions say to use Sonnax secret sauce Slippery Stick O-LUBE. I didn't have any. I have always used petroleum jelly for transmission seals, and did so here as well.

2021-10-24 062.JPG
End plugs and O-rings, some assembly required.

2021-10-24 063.JPG
OE end plug and retainer.

2021-10-24 064.JPG
Push in on the end plug and lever the retainer up. Grab the part that sticks up with pliers and pull it out. Beware that the end plug is spring loaded by the valve and spring behind it. Be ready to stop it from flying across the room.

2021-10-24 066.JPG
End of the valve with the retainer and end plug removed.

2021-10-24 067.JPG
O-ringed plug on the left and OE plug on the right. Instructions say to push the plug in just far enough to allow installation of the retainer. Gotcha to know: the O-ring keeps the plug in place. So the spring will not be able to push the plug out against the retainer. Meaning the retainer will fall out when you turn the valve body half over. Ask me how I know...

Last edited:
OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to get a spare tranny to rebuild, your pics are kinda scary for me though lol.
That is not a bad idea. Take your time, take lots of notes and photos as you go. Do plenty of reasearch before you tear into the transmission. Learn as much as you can about disassembly and reassembly.
Factory and aftermarket rebuild manuals are a must!
It is scary, but doable.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not a bad idea. Take your time, take lots of notes and photos as you go. Do plenty of reasearch before you tear into the transmission. Learn as much as you can about disassembly and reassembly.
Factory and aftermarket rebuild manuals are a must!
It is scary, but doable.
I also recommend the proper tools for compressing the clutch packs to get their snap rings installed on reassembly. Much harder without them. When I rebuilt a ZF 5HP24 on my bench, I spent the better part of a day trying to poor boy a tool to do it with, but gave up and bought the rights tool for the job.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also recommend the proper tools for compressing the clutch packs to get their snap rings installed on reassembly. Much harder without them. When I rebuilt a ZF 5HP24 on my bench, I spent the better part of a day trying to poor boy a tool to do it with, but gave up and bought the rights tool for the job.
Very good point!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts