6L80 Sonnax ZIP Kit, Pressure Switch rebuild, remote filter install, and fluid flush in 2013 Escalade ESV (Pic heavy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, you're awesome! Thanks for posting all of this. Excellent write up. Very detailed and very informative. Thanks again. I'll have some questions for you when the time comes:)
You are very welcome!!!
The transmission valve body work is done, but the saga is far from over...
This thread still has a ways to go.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo...my next step was to have been to install the remote spin on filter assembly for the transmission fluid.
However...it was 8:00PM, I still had to put fluid in the transmission, and pull the Escalade down off the ramps. It needed to be ready for a flatbed at 9:00AM the next morning. And I needed sleep.

I did just that. It took a little over 6.5qts of Dexron VI to fill the transmission to the middle of the HOT zone with the trans at 122 degrees idling. I first filled it to the COLD mark on the dipstick. Then ran the shifter through all the gear positions, pausing for a few seconds in each. Had everything done and cleaned up by 10:00PM. The transmission pulled and moved the Escalade from the turnaround spot up to the driveway with no issues. However, I did not move fast enough to let it shift out of 1st gear.

9:00AM the next morning, local wrecker service flatbed appeared and we were off to a local transmission shop.
Why? you might ask? Because the Sonnax ZIP kit instructions and the service manual told me to.

In the Sonnax ZIP kit instructions, it states: Fast Learn Adapts, Following installation of the ZIP kit, the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be performed. Follow instruction on the scan tool, or reference OE specifications for details on the procedure.

In the service manual, it states:
Note: The Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be performed when one of the following repairs have been made to the vehicle. Failure to perform the procedure after one of the following repairs may result in poor transmission performance, as well as transmission DTCs being set:

• Transmission internal service/overhaul
  • Valve body repair or replacement
  • Control solenoid valve assembly replacement
  • TCM software/calibration update
  • Any service in response to a shift quality concern

Also, from what I have read, driving the vehicle and letting the transmission could likely result in codes being set, as the transmission is still using learned adaptive parameters from before the repair. I didn't want that, so off to the shop it went.

Like I have said before, which is where it went wrong. I am an idiot, past and present tense. In my head, since this was a scan tool procedure, I would be in and out. I rode with the driver in the cab of the flatbed, and stayed with my Escalade. The shop took my information and keys, and told me they would call when it was done. Say what?
They said it would be done around 4:40-5ish. It was 9:45AM. Oh. And, it never occurred to me that there would be other jobs in line before mine. Like I said, I am an idiot.

To compound this, I was trying to get too much done. Returning from the P0131/P0171 fiasco at the Hendrick Cadillac of Monroe NC service department, an 18-wheeler tossed a rock. Which cracked the windshield. Safelite AutoGlass was scheduled to replace the windshield at 1:00PM this same day. So, I screwed up. Again.
I sheepishly called SafeLite and rescheduled.
And then started walking.

I live in Blacksburg SC, out in the country. The transmission shop is in Gaffney SC, approximately 10 miles away. My wife was at work. Anybody I really knew was at work. So, being GOOD AND PI$$ED at myself, I started walking. Eventually, I was able to get my mother in law on the phone and she picked me up. Only ended up walking 2 miles. It was good for me. Because I am an idiot.

The transmission shop called around 4:00PM, said my Escalade was ready. They said they performed the relearns and took it for a road test. The transmission shifted through all the gears and performed well. Except the technician noticed it was slipping in 3rd gear.

Huh?

My first thought was, "what did I do wrong?" My mother in law gave me a ride to the transmission shop. There, I asked the same question, and they told me, based upon the description of the work I performed, nothing I did could cause 3rd gear to slip. They said it was likely the 3-5 drum was cracked.
Lovely. Just lovely.
Pretty much all I could do was drive it until it quits. They of course offered to fix the transmission for me. I politely declined. I still have the 2 year powertrain warranty from Hendrick on this Escalade...

On the drive home, I didn't notice anything different. I couldn't feel any slipping. Which tells me this transmission was doing it before I bought the vehicle. I paid attention to the shifting when I test drove the Escalade. It felt the same on the drive home from the transmission shop as it did on the test drive.

The next day, I drove the Escalade 7 hours total to and from Hendrick Cadillac in Cary NC for a wasted trip to get the paint touched up on the front and rear bumpers. The transmission performed just fine. Shifted fine. I beat on it some on the highway. Temps always looked good. I saw 154 degrees at 75mph, and 165 degrees at 85mph. (I like to drive fast, and I was on I-85S in NC. Don't judge me...)
I ended up in a stop-and-go traffic jam, and saw the transmission temp go to 185 while crawling along. Once I got back up to highway speeds, the temp dropped back down in the low 160's.

Once I got off my exit, I performed an experiment. I put the shifter in M, and toggled it to 2. I drove up my road. Once 2nd gear was wound out sufficiently, I toggled the shifter to 3. I waited with bated breath, and felt the transmission immediately shift into 3rd gear. No flaring of RPM on the tachometer, no slowing of the vehicle. I toggled the shifter into 4 and drove to my house.

I am not sure what to make of this. I have driven my Escalade daily since that day. I have felt nothing amiss in the transmission. I don't necessarily think the transmission shop was trying to scam me, as they come well recommended. I think it is more I can't feel what the technician was feeling.
Regardless, all I can do is drive it. Because, if I invoke the warranty now, I will probably get laughed out. I would assume the transmission would have to be actively screwing up for them to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose anything.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo...my next step was to have been to install the remote spin on filter assembly for the transmission fluid.
However...it was 8:00PM, I still had to put fluid in the transmission, and pull the Escalade down off the ramps. It needed to be ready for a flatbed at 9:00AM the next morning. And I needed sleep.

I did just that. It took a little over 6.5qts of Dexron VI to fill the transmission to the middle of the HOT zone with the trans at 122 degrees idling. I first filled it to the COLD mark on the dipstick. Then ran the shifter through all the gear positions, pausing for a few seconds in each. Had everything done and cleaned up by 10:00PM. The transmission pulled and moved the Escalade from the turnaround spot up to the driveway with no issues. However, I did not move fast enough to let it shift out of 1st gear.

9:00AM the next morning, local wrecker service flatbed appeared and we were off to a local transmission shop.
Why? you might ask? Because the Sonnax ZIP kit instructions and the service manual told me to.

In the Sonnax ZIP kit instructions, it states: Fast Learn Adapts, Following installation of the ZIP kit, the Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be performed. Follow instruction on the scan tool, or reference OE specifications for details on the procedure.

Note: The Service Fast Learn Adapts procedure must be performed when one of the following repairs have been made to the vehicle. Failure to perform the procedure after one of the following repairs may result in poor transmission performance, as well as transmission DTCs being set:

Also, from what I have read, driving the vehicle and letting the transmission could likely result in codes being set, as the transmission is still using learned adaptive parameters from before the repair. I didn't want that, so off to the shop it went.

Like I have said before, which is where it went wrong. I am an idiot, past and present tense. In my head, since this was a scan tool procedure, I would be in and out. I rode with the driver in the cab of the flatbed, and stayed with my Escalade. The shop took my information and keys, and told me they would call when it was done. Say what?
They said it would be done around 4:40-5ish. It was 9:45AM. Oh. And, it never occurred to me that there would be other jobs in line before mine. Like I said, I am an idiot.

To compound this, I was trying to get too much done. Returning from the P0131/P0171 fiasco at the Hendrick Cadillac of Monroe NC service department, an 18-wheeler tossed a rock. Which cracked the windshield. Safelite AutoGlass was scheduled to replace the windshield at 1:00PM this same day. So, I screwed up. Again.

I live in Blacksburg SC, out in the country. The transmission shop is in Gaffney SC, approximately 10 miles away. My wife was at work. Anybody I really knew was at work. So, being GOOD AND PI$$ED at myself, I started walking. Eventually, I was able to get my mother in law on the phone and she picked me up. Only ended up walking 2 miles. It was good for me. Because I am an idiot.

The transmission shop called around 4:00PM, said my Escalade was ready. They said they performed the relearns and took it for a road test. The transmission shifted through all the gears and performed well. Except the technician noticed it was slipping in 3rd gear.

Huh?

My first thought was, "what did I do wrong?" My mother in law gave me a ride to the transmission shop. There, I asked the same question, and they told me, based upon the description of the work I performed, nothing I did could cause 3rd gear to slip. They said it was likely the 3-5 drum was cracked.
Lovely. Just lovely.
Pretty much all I could do was drive it until it quits. They of course offered to fix the transmission for me. I politely declined. I still have the 2 year powertrain warranty from Hendrick on this Escalade...

On the drive home, I didn't notice anything different. I couldn't feel any slipping. Which tells me this transmission was doing it before I bought the vehicle. I paid attention to the shifting when I test drove the Escalade. It felt the same on the drive home from the transmission shop as it did on the test drive.

The next day, I drove the Escalade 7 hours total to and from Hendrick Cadillac in Cary NC for a wasted trip to get the paint touched up on the front and rear bumpers. The transmission performed just fine. Shifted fine. I beat on it some on the highway. Temps always looked good. I saw 154 degrees at 75mph, and 165 degrees at 85mph. (I like to drive fast, and I was on I-85S in NC. Don't judge me...)
I ended up in a stop-and-go traffic jam, and saw the transmission temp go to 185 while crawling along. Once I got back up to highway speeds, the temp dropped back down in the low 160's.

Once I got off my exit, I performed an experiment. I put the shifter in M, and toggled it to 2. I drove up my road. Once 2nd gear was wound out sufficiently, I toggled the shifter to 3. I waited with bated breath, and felt the transmission immediately shift into 3rd gear. No flaring of RPM on the tachometer, no slowing of the vehicle. I toggled the shifter into 4 and drove to my house.

I am not sure what to make of this. I have driven my Escalade daily since that day. I have felt nothing amiss in the transmission. I don't necessarily think the transmission shop was trying to scam me, as they come well recommended. I think it is more I can't feel what the technician was feeling.
Regardless, all I can do is drive it. Because, if I invoke the warranty now, I will probably get laughed out. I would assume the transmission would have to be actively screwing up for them to be able to troubleshoot and diagnose anything.
Send it! You would be able to tell if it was slipping significantly.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something odd I noticed on the drive to and from Cary NC. Before the transmission shop performed the relearn, the Instantaneous Fuel Economy page on the DIC never read anything. It always said “0 MPG” and nothing more.

After the transmission shop performed the relearn, the Instantaneous Fuel Economy page showed MPG values and V4 status.

A4A9C9A7-B09C-40BB-9DD4-AE455A311A72.jpeg
I was surprised to see this on the display. I was crusing steady state on the highway.

0707A033-6AC9-4541-B656-B2A54303A4EC.jpeg
I gave it some gas and the display changed.

I am not sure what to make of this. Does it mean AFM had been disabled? I thought a special tune or kit had to be purchased for that. Did the relearn ‘reset’ this?

I do know that I am preparing to put a Black Bear tune in it. I have purchased the AutoCal V3 package and am almost ready to datalog. I just have to clean the MAF and throttle body. But, I need to wait for the clone Tech 2 I ordered to arrive so I can do the throttle body relearn procedure.

Point is I am going to have AFM disabled with the Black Bear tune.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Huh?

Lovely. Just lovely.

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, the Tech-2 would have paid for itself and save you the tow, shop time, walking, cancelled appointments, etc.

The slippage the technician experienced was because of the Adapts being run and the transmission relearning. It goes away after the first few stop and goes. You'll do it again after the installing the BlackBear tune, let him know you have the capability of running it.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, the Tech-2 would have paid for itself and save you the tow, shop time, walking, cancelled appointments, etc.

The slippage the technician experienced was because of the Adapts being run and the transmission relearning. It goes away after the first few stop and goes. You'll do it again after the installing the BlackBear tune, let him know you have the capability of running it.
Yeah...I saw that coming. I ordered a clone Tech 2 on October 14th. In fact, it showed up last night before I left for work. I thought about that, but...I had that week off of work for vacation. I wanted to get the transmission work done then and out of the way.
Regardless, you are correct, I could have done it better.

Very good to know about the slippage and the relearn. I will tell Black Bear when I submit the data logs.

Thanks!!!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

What does the relearn have to do with the tune from BBP? I never discussed a relearn with them but I have the ability to do it. Whats the difference?

Reaction score
I have the same question as George B.

I've installed tunes with my Diablo Intune I3 and have done the TCM to firm up shifts a bit and remove torque management but have never done a trans adapts relearn with the Tech2