Transmission flush or fluid and filter change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burntoast16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought a 16' yukon xl with the 5.3l and 6 speed about year ago with 86k. Now has about 93k on and getting ready to service the transmission. Is a complete flush recommend or is just dropping the the pan and replacing the filter and fluid? What fluid is recommend, I thought I saw something to use an updated fluid?

Jonmurphy

Reaction score
We bought a 16' yukon xl with the 5.3l and 6 speed about year ago with 86k. Now has about 93k on and getting ready to service the transmission. Is a complete flush recommend or is just dropping the the pan and replacing the filter and fluid? What fluid is recommend, I thought I saw something to use an updated fluid?
You're long overdue for a complete flush Pump it out to coolant lines make sure you get any Debris out Of the system.I'm telling everybody else Put a couple of car filters in the Coolant line .. Be sure your temperature is under 200 at all times

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do both but drop the pan first so you can see if there's anything concerning at the bottom of it before you spend a bunch of $$$ on a fluid flush. If there's a whole bunch of burnt clutch material or metal/bronze etc put the pan back on with a few bolts then yank it out for overhaul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts